DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post on the forum hoping it reaches the right audience. I’ve had this annoying rattle on the passenger side dash around the upper glove box area I’ve ripped most of the trim on that side out but I can’t find the cause. Any suggestions? (Pic for reference)
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not a direct answer to your question, but when I’ve had similar issues, I’ve asked someone else to drive the vehicle while I sat in the passenger side, trying to track it down.

(When I ask someone else to track it down, they can’t seem to identify exactly which “annoying rattle” I’m after. 🙂)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Those types of noises drive me batty and I hate it when someone tells me to "turn the radio up." Go with the advice above, have someone else drive while you poke around under the dash. Note that things can get into the defroster and air intake vents and end up in the airbox so the rattle could be a small item that fell inside the airbox. You can pull the fan assembly and feel around in there if it sounds like it is coming from the air box.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First post on the forum hoping it reaches the right audience. I’ve had this annoying rattle on the passenger side dash around the upper glove box area I’ve ripped most of the trim on that side out but I can’t find the cause. Any suggestions? (Pic for reference) View attachment 143942
I had the same problem on my 2015 Ram it ended up being the passenger side running boards. I tightened up all the bolts under the truck for the running boards when I was changing the oil. I noticed it wasn’t Rattling anymore.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2015 Ram it ended up being the passenger side running boards. I tightened up all the bolts under the truck for the running boards when I was changing the oil. I noticed it wasn’t Rattling anymore.

·
Registered
110 Posts
First post on the forum hoping it reaches the right audience. I’ve had this annoying rattle on the passenger side dash around the upper glove box area I’ve ripped most of the trim on that side out but I can’t find the cause. Any suggestions? (Pic for reference) View attachment 143942
I have only an occasional rattling at the driver side end of dash.Never found the reason.
I think it is just a Chrysler thing...I suggest taking the glovebox door off and see if the sound can be better analyzed

·
Registered
10 Posts
First get a large dog. A hound of some breed. Maybe a mix. Flip the back seats up, fold out the floor panels. Throw a piece of carpet back there for some traction action. Take him with you everywhere you go. Of course you'll have to have have the windows down, cuz these good boys love to hang it in the breeze. This solved all my rattles. AND... made life so much more enjoyable. Of course now there’s slobber down the door and bed, but at least that don’t rattle.

But on the serious side. I bought a WiFi borescope to use with my cell phone. It may help find foreign objects. I got a few lost items out the dash (of the wifes car - NO objects allowed on MY dash) with the help of this. Also tighten all panels, parts and brackets you can reach. Careful not to overtighten, some places there are plastic screw looking fasteners that aren’t really screws.

I had an odd rattle for a long time. One day I decided to open the sliding rear window… Because of the dawg! (see they can help) and it got much louder and I could immediately tell it was the cheap roll top bed cover (it had plastic ribs) fluttering in the wind, sounded entirely different with the window closed. Double win. Solved the rattle. AND - The perfect excuse to pop $1K for the Revolver X4! Magicy sciency stuff. A rattle someplace else can travel through the solid parts of the vehicle into the cabin and sound entirely different there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help I found the source of my rattle and fixed it earlier today. Just finished putting the rest of my dash back together.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not a direct answer to your question, but when I’ve had similar issues, I’ve asked someone else to drive the vehicle while I sat in the passenger side, trying to track it down.

(When I ask someone else to track it down, they can’t seem to identify exactly which “annoying rattle” I’m after. 🙂)
I had that similar rattle, it came out to be under the hood right above the fire wall it was a plastic trim goes across it was loose when the air hit it , it rattled I tightened it down no more noise

·
Registered
21 Posts
First get a large dog. A hound of some breed. Maybe a mix. Flip the back seats up, fold out the floor panels. Throw a piece of carpet back there for some traction action. Take him with you everywhere you go. Of course you'll have to have have the windows down, cuz these good boys love to hang it in the breeze. This solved all my rattles. AND... made life so much more enjoyable. Of course now there’s slobber down the door and bed, but at least that don’t rattle.

But on the serious side. I bought a WiFi borescope to use with my cell phone. It may help find foreign objects. I got a few lost items out the dash (of the wifes car - NO objects allowed on MY dash) with the help of this. Also tighten all panels, parts and brackets you can reach. Careful not to overtighten, some places there are plastic screw looking fasteners that aren’t really screws.

I had an odd rattle for a long time. One day I decided to open the sliding rear window… Because of the dawg! (see they can help) and it got much louder and I could immediately tell it was the cheap roll top bed cover (it had plastic ribs) fluttering in the wind, sounded entirely different with the window closed. Double win. Solved the rattle. AND - The perfect excuse to pop $1K for the Revolver X4! Magicy sciency stuff. A rattle someplace else can travel through the solid parts of the vehicle into the cabin and sound entirely different there.
I have tried the dog solution but what do you do about when they lick in your ear all the time or try to get up in your face.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts