DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I bought my truck with a 4" RC lift already installed. It was installed in 2014 and those packages had cast steering knuckles to replace the aluminum OEM ones. I've been doing some research on improving the ride quality and am looking to reduce unsprung weight. The knuckles that come from RC look super heavy. Does anyone know if I have to use these with this kit? The ball joints appear to be at the perfect angle when sitting flat, and I haven't had any issues with them popping.

Would it make sense to go back to the OEM knuckles and get new UCA's to help with the angle? The tire change I have in mind will shave off 11lbs already (going from F-load 35/13.5/20's to E-load 35/12.5/20's), but I'd like to do as much as I can without reducing the ride height. I love the way it looks, but my god the front end is like a brick. The back is better now that I have the Icon 2.0's, but it was never the worst part to begin with.

Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
One way to possibly reduce some more weight is by not just reducing the load rating from F to E, but also compare brands of tires. I recently replaced my tires and noticed that some brands are heavier than others for the same size and type of tire.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good point. It's sitting on 35/13.5/20 Ridge Grapplers right now with an F-load, which are 78.4lbs each!! If I go down to a 325/60/20 E in the RG, it's 69.82lbs. Pretty significant I think! Unfortunately the RG doesn't come in a 35/12.5 E load.

However, Toyo has the AT3 in both 35/12.5/20 and 325/60/20, coming in at 68 lbs and 70lbs respectively.Leaning towards the AT3 in the 325 size for an extra half inch in each direction! I figure the extra rubber between me and the road would offset the extra pound of unsprung weight.. probably splitting hairs at that point though.

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
I just replaced the Ridge Grapplers on my truck. I had 295/65/20’s and they’re about the same weight as the toyo and just a tad taller than the 35’s by 3/4”. I went with the BFG KO2’s. They were lighter in weight and much better in the snow. I’m guessing you deal with a bit of snow during the winter. The KO2’s also come with a 50k mile warranty down here in the states that the Ridge Grapplers don’t have.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nice! Heard great things about the KO2s. According to BFG's site they're pretty much heavier across the board compared to the Toyo's. I'll keep looking. Right now my 13.5's are a nice width since my wheels are -24 and the tires line up perfectly with the bushwacker flares.. That's why the 325's are appealing to me. I'm only giving up half an inch in width, but gaining it in height while losing 10 lbs!

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
nice! Heard great things about the KO2s. According to BFG's site they're pretty much heavier across the board compared to the Toyo's. I'll keep looking. Right now my 13.5's are a nice width since my wheels are -24 and the tires line up perfectly with the bushwacker flares.. That's why the 325's are appealing to me. I'm only giving up half an inch in width, but gaining it in height while losing 10 lbs!
After I wore out the original tires on my truck I put the KO2’s on it and lived them. After wore out the KO2’s they didn’t have the size I wanted so I switched to the ridge grapplers. They were good until it snowed and I was disappointed with them.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
What shocks are you running up front? The wife and kid ran through a set of Cooper SST's while I was overseas. They put a set of Landsail M/T's (weighing 61 or 67 lbs) on for me before I came back stateside, I've honestly been pretty impressed with them. Bilsteins all around, so I'm not sure if it's just because I didn't drive it much the last 7 years or if I'm just used to it, but I haven't had any issues out of anything. What PSI are you running at, that effects a lot more than you'd think as well.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I'd suggest Bilsteins.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Going from factory to Bilstein was a world of difference on mine. 09 with 6" and 35's the blue one is stock.

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Awesome, thanks. So just to clarify, the lift was initially spacers with stock shocks in the front, and when you switched the stocks out for bilsteins it made it a smoother ride?
Yeah the RC kits come with shocks for the rear, but not the front. Even the wife enjoyed driving it again. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts