DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the McGaughys suspension was installed, the front track width was 1.25" wider than the rear. I did not measure the stock track width to see if the front and rear measured the same. The ride is very close to stock. The R/T wheels are a bit shorter than the stock 20" tire/wheel.

Stock / rear coils cut

parked next to my work truck

McGaughys deluxe 2/4 (spindles front, springs, bumpstops, and rear track bar bracket rear)

GF taking my truck to get lowered/aligned (and take her Vellano wheels back bc they were leaking)

Stock 20's, stock spindles

Stock 20's, McGaughys spindles

2/4 drop installed

R/T wheels installed

·
Registered
168 Posts
Looks good and just like my R/T. So with all the money these mods cost wouldn't it have made more sense to get an actual R/T?

Got mine for $25.5K after rebates and while I did look at the Express, online at least, I saw the R/T's interior, NavMyGig, 22"s,, 4.10's well worth the $5-6K above the Express.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
truck looks real nice man. i got one question for ya. did you buy the mcgaughys 09 kit cuz i cant find anything for the 2012 models
IIRC, this is the 44050 kit. Deluxe for 09-up ram. I called McGaughy direct as they are really close to where I live.

Looks good and just like my R/T. So with all the money these mods cost wouldn't it have made more sense to get an actual R/T?

Got mine for $25.5K after rebates and while I did look at the Express, online at least, I saw the R/T's interior, NavMyGig, 22"s,, 4.10's well worth the $5-6K above the Express.
Was it 25.5K out the door? If so, that would be 22k or so + tax. RT's were 26-27k plus tax which put me in the 28-30k range OTD. I picked this one up for 22k OTD. Paid 2800 shipped for the wheels, and should be able to sell the 20's for 800 or so. That puts me at 24000.

I bought this truck to swap in a 12v cummins, 47RH, and a built 9". I didn't care about the rear axle as I knew it wouldn't hold up anyway. I didn't want the whole center console or any of the EVIC or NAV features, as it would just add complexity to the swap. In fact, the only thing I wanted from the RT was the wheels. My only other plans for the truck are the electric fan swap and cutting a coil out of the rear as it sits 1.75" higher than the front.

-jp

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
lookin good bud and the more i see lowered trucks the more i want to lower mine

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Well i sold my rt rims for 2800 because i hated them in my opion you should of got something else they tend to get hazy and dull but as long as you did not spend a whole lot for them and you like them thats all that matters lol

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ouch just read your post ya 2800 you could of got a set of sicker rims

Here were my requirements:
-polished forged aluminum
-1 piece
-lightest possible
-22"

What wheels meet these specs, and are $2800 with comparable tires?

I looked at raceline, forgeline, boyd, billet specialties, colorado, weld, foose, and about 50 others with no luck. 1 piece wheels were about $1000 ea, plus the cost of tires. They would have had to be custom made/ordered with a substantial wait time.

I happen to like the stock/forged look if you couldn't tell by the pic of my work truck. I have a set of american racing baja wheels, and a set of forged welds that are in storage because I prefer the stock wheels.

-jp

edit:
by the looks of your sig pic, you upgraded to chinese cast wheels?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Here were my requirements:
-polished forged aluminum
-1 piece
-lightest possible
-22"

What wheels meet these specs, and are $2800 with comparable tires?

I looked at raceline, forgeline, boyd, billet specialties, colorado, weld, foose, and about 50 others with no luck. 1 piece wheels were about $1000 ea, plus the cost of tires. They would have had to be custom made/ordered with a substantial wait time.

I happen to like the stock/forged look if you couldn't tell by the pic of my work truck. I have a set of american racing baja wheels, and a set of forged welds that are in storage because I prefer the stock wheels.

-jp

edit:
by the looks of your sig pic, you upgraded to chinese cast wheels?
No actually they are kmc slides and i myself wanted the all black look never said anything harsh about you just said i did not like the rims hence why i sold mine i just think they are cheaply made by dodge and scratch and haze way to easy/ you bought them for what i sold mine for 2800 which when i sold them thought it was a crazy price lol since ive seen them go tires rims and sensors for 2k.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No actually they are kmc slides and i myself wanted the all black look never said anything harsh about you just said i did not like the rims hence why i sold mine i just think they are cheaply made by dodge and scratch and haze way to easy/ you bought them for what i sold mine for 2800 which when i sold them thought it was a crazy price lol since ive seen them go tires rims and sensors for 2k.
KMC wheels are cast, and made in China -- structurally inferior to the wheels you replaced.

I plan to swap in an engine that is considerably heavier than the hemi platform, and wanted a forged wheel for this application.

The finish on the oem wheels does leave a bit to be desired, and I am not completely happy about that. But, I am thankful for guys like you because there wouldn't be any R/T wheels for sale otherwise! :smileup:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Dude Dodgert lay off man.
Let the guy do what he likes, its his truck. Sounds to me like he knows what he is doing, and thats creating a SICK beast of a pickup.

And since you seem to like unwanted opinion, I think his truck looks way better than yours... just sayin.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dude Dodgert lay off man.
Let the guy do what he likes, its his truck. Sounds to me like he knows what he is doing, and thats creating a SICK beast of a pickup.

And since you seem to like unwanted opinion, I think his truck looks way better than yours... just sayin.
:smiley_thumbs_up:

Thanks man. Appreciate the compliment.

-jp

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Damn it got harsh in here real quick lol I'll plays the medium here and support both people. Dodgert was just pointing out the cost of the wheels and the reason he sold them was because he didn't like the look of them. His personal taste, which you kind of agreed with - "The finish on the oem wheels does leave a bit to be desired". And it's not exactly nice to say "you upgraded to chinese cast wheels". Who cares where something is made, half the stuff we buy was manufactured in some Asian country anyhow. With that said Jlibert, keep up the great work, I myself have a set of R/T wheels on my truck and love the way they look with the lowered stance. I wanted a 5 Star patterned 22" wheel that wouldn't break the bank and stumbled across them at a great price. It's your project and have fun with it man, and lastly Keep up the great work!!
Everyone happy now :LOL:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Truck looks great OP, and thanks for posting all the pictures. :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
You got rid of the R/T wheels? Thats too bad they look great. What did you get instead? Truck looks great.

edit:nm I think I read the wrong name that got rid of them.

Truck looks great with the R/T's

1 - 18 of 18 Posts