DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
I'm not familiar with that trans, but it's probably serviceable. I was told a few years ago that the filter on my wife's aveo was not serviceable, and a few months ago I found that NAPA now carries it, so I did the service a few weekends ago. I think that they just play catch up with the parts as that trans was made by a foreign company. With your truck it should be serviceable, try searching online and at auto zone.

Worst case, if you can't find one to replace it, at least remove it when you do the service, and back flush it with fresh trans fluid, about a qt or 2 worth, to at least try to clean it out a little bit.

I'm sure someone else will know for sure and will chime in.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
Also, you are talking about an auto right? I'm not sure how knowledgeable you are on this but manual gearboxes almost never have filters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im going to take the transmission in for a flush tomorrow. If I do need to replace the filter I wanted to get one from napa since its cheaper than the what they have at the shop. Otherwise I'll just have a flush done if the filter is re-usable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, you are talking about an auto right? I'm not sure how knowledgeable you are on this but manual gearboxes almost never have filters.
Ya, its an auto, I have the 46re. Ive just never heard of a re-usable trans filter before. Wanted know for sure whether I need a new one or not when I take it in tomorrow

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
They are replacable, when you have it serviced have them tighten bands.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
I've heard that flushes can damage the trans. I've heard if you do the flush, makes sure they use the trans pump to pump the fluid, not an external pump that they have, as it can dislodge material in the trans and from the filter and push it through the trans causing damage. Supposedly if you use the trans pump to flush it it will not harm anything.

Personally, I'm a fan of pan drop services where you drop the pan, replace the filter, gasket, and replace the lost fluid.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The manual nv 3500,4500 don't have filter they are "sealed". (meaning that there's thead tape on the brass plugs so they don't seze to the aluminum trans)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I've heard that flushes can damage the trans. I've heard if you do the flush, makes sure they use the trans pump to pump the fluid, not an external pump that they have, as it can dislodge material in the trans and from the filter and push it through the trans causing damage. Supposedly if you use the trans pump to flush it it will not harm anything.

Personally, I'm a fan of pan drop services where you drop the pan, replace the filter, gasket, and replace the lost fluid.
Ive heard that about flushing too. I might just get the basic fluid and filter change. I'd change it myself but me and transmissions don't get along for some reason.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I agree about not getting along with auto's that's why I don't have one. But don't forget have them do the bands. Some places forget about that on a pan drop trans service.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree about not getting along with auto's that's why I don't have one. But don't forget have them do the bands. Some places forget about that on a pan drop trans service.
Ya I will do that. Thanks for letting me know. I wouldn't have an auto either, but my wife doesn't like manual transmissions.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
nether dose mine that's why I bought a stick. That, less to deal with later on

1 - 13 of 13 Posts