DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well as the title says, I re-did them. When I first did them back in the fall I did a pretty crappy job on them, I was in a hurry and they didnt turn out good up close (had runs and uneven spots) and they were pretty damn dark. They looked wicked at night, on an overcast day or when the lights werent on but when the sun shined on them you couldnt see my brake lights. So I got rid of the vht off of the tails but left the 3rd brake light.

I had been wanting to redo them and take my time, so today was a perfect day too do that! Used 3 lighter coats of vht and 5 coats of clear. I wet sanded with 2000 grit prior to vhting. after clearing I was tempted to wet sand again but decided to try using the meguires compound I bought specifically for this, it did nothing to make them shine more and actually started making them cloudy the more I rubbed it in, I think they wouild have been a disaster if I had wet sanded again. But anyways they are pretty shiny and look alot better than the first time, they arent quite as dark

If I still find them too dark in the sun or a cop says anything I am just going to buy LED brake light and turn signal bulbs that are alot brighter than stock and put those in, problem solved. Sorry for the long speal, I have a hard time fitting everything I want to say into only a few lines LOL

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
^looks like the neighbor needs a roof repair too lol.

Lights look good, I'd stick with them, they are light enough, but not too light. They will fade lighter in time too. After about 5 years they will look like stock again and you'll want to redo them.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha thanks bud... ya the pole is a little drunk, I like it though because there is more room when i pull in, there is a pole right behind the truck just out of the picture that is charred all the way up from a fire lol My house is the nice new one with the good looking siding just incase anyone thinks anything... most of them on the street look like the one on the left , that aside I am pretty happy with the way the tails turned out, I have seen a few trucks around with tinted tails and couldnt stand it anymore, plus after I removed the vht the first time it made my tail look like shit, they were super cloudy

·
Registered
362 Posts
I did a pretty crappy job on mine. Instead of wet sanding i used a scotch bright pad and it scratched the lights a lot deeper than I thought it would. So when the lights are on you can see the scratches.
Anyway i wanted to redo them soon so i wanted to ask what you used to get the original vht off? Wet sand? And great job by the way!

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^looks like the neighbor needs a roof repair too lol.

Lights look good, I'd stick with them, they are light enough, but not too light. They will fade lighter in time too. After about 5 years they will look like stock again and you'll want to redo them.
yes she does LOL I have seen her twice in nearly 2 years... in the summer she is at her camp 1 hour south of here, in the winter she is in florida

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did a pretty crappy job on mine. Instead of wet sanding i used a scotch bright pad and it scratched the lights a lot deeper than I thought it would. So when the lights are on you can see the scratches.
Anyway i wanted to redo them soon so i wanted to ask what you used to get the original vht off? Wet sand? And great job by the way!
wet sand again and brake clean my friend, and alot of rubbing... paint thinner would also work but the brake clean does a quicker job... go to the knowledge section, there is a post in there about vhting your lights, there is 2 videos that someone has put together... I followed his steps and I am quite satified with mine.... I waited 10 minutes between coats of vht, and about the same for coats of clear then after the final coat of clear I waited over an hour, like I said I opted not to wet sand at the end because the meguirs compound stuff that he talks about in the video I wasnt to impressed with, but mine are still pretty shiny and had no bubbles or dust bumps in them

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Should wet sand at the end(use like 1,000 or 1,500, then 2,000), then buff with rubbing compound, the buff with polishing compound, then wax. You can still do it even now assault, it'll give a nice finish.

·
Registered
281 Posts
What did you put over the clear part of the tail lights to keep from vht'ing over it?

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
^mask it off with masking tape. Blue painters tape works well. Green automotive masking/painting tape is the best. The better the tape the cleaner the line. I use blue and it gives a clean line that looks good (the green tape is very expensive), with the regular masking tape you get a fuzzy/blurry line.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks Sean, I am probably going to wet sand it this weekend and buff the crap out of it, just worried about messing it up, in that video the guy says not to wet sand too much because you dont want to go through the clear coat. I used green house hold painters tape, worked great, just a paint trying to cut the rounded part but it looks great, now I need to let the moisture inside dry out and caulk around the seals so no more moisture gets in, it screwed up 1 of my led reverse bulbs

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats the exact same shade that I did mine. Nice work!
thanks bud, I followed the steps of the videos you posted! I knew how to do it before but reffering to the videos during the process deffinetly helps! just got back from seeing 21 jump st in theatre, lights look soooooooo good in the dark!

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
thanks Sean, I am probably going to wet sand it this weekend and buff the crap out of it, just worried about messing it up, in that video the guy says not to wet sand too much because you dont want to go through the clear coat. I used green house hold painters tape, worked great, just a paint trying to cut the rounded part but it looks great, now I need to let the moisture inside dry out and caulk around the seals so no more moisture gets in, it screwed up 1 of my led reverse bulbs
Yeah but with a fine sand paper it'd take a lot of wet sanding to go through the clear. If you put the clear on thick you'd be fine :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts