DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man o man, here I go again. I have the hardest time making this call, so maybe you guys can help me out. I'm pretty much set to buy a new work truck. I want a 3/4T, not sure if I'll go regular or long bed. The biggest thing I have to decide is if I want to go with the Hemi or the Cummins. Here's how I'll use the truck.

• Primarily highway miles
  • Little towing
  • Occasional heavy hauling (3,000lbs +/-)
  • Some deliveries up in the woods (we supply loggers)
My concerns are as follows:

• Longevity...people say a gasser in a 3/4T is only good for 120k or so, maybe a little more
  • Resale...can I get rid of a Hemi down the road, or will buyers back away in favor of the Cummins
  • Performance...some make it sound like the Hemi is a turd compared to the Cummins...really? Or is that only in regards to heavy towing/
  • Maintenance...are diesels really that hard to maintain? Are they really that much more expensive in the long run?
  • Fuel economy...will I really see a big benefit with a diesel given the way I plan to use it?
Thanks for any and all help...I plan to purchase soon, maybe this weekend.

·
Registered
33 Posts
diesel truck is more expensive to maintain in the long run.
I would not worry about longevity on the HEMI.
You will also pay more at the pump for diesel (today diesels are not so fuel efficient due to stupid regulations), and if you are not towing, then I would suggest staying wit the gas engine.
BUT....If you really want to louder and more expensive (MSRP and Maintenance & Fuel) truck then go with the Diesel :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Sounds like you don't need a 3/4 ton. You should get a tradesmen IMO. It has a towing capacity of 11,500lbs and a max hauling rating of 3,100lbs. You'll be saving a ton of money. It actually has the exact same frame as the 3/4 and also uses 8 lug wheels.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I doesn't sound like you can justify the diesel. .... Unless you just Want the diesel and thats fine :)

I sold a diesel to get the Hemi. and have been very very happy and I tow right at 10K semi often.

Who said 120K on a Hemi? I have a hard time with that one, this is a bad ass motor.

Get the lifetime warranty if it bothers you though

~~~ Diesel is great, if you need it.
It costs a LOT more initially, but a lot can be recovered in resale.
Diesel is well past the price of Premium - at least here.
maintenance is more with fuel filters each oil change - which is what,3-4 gallons?

I loved my Diesel, but dont miss it at all.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks one and all for the replies. I'm actually really surprised by the responses, because pretty much all I've heard up to this point is that I'm crazy to consider buying a 3/4T without a diesel...that I'll never be able to get rid of it, and when I do, I can forget about any decent resale value. That does concern me. Two things said here interest me though...I need to learn more about the Tradesman and the lifetime warranty on the Hemi.

I guess I plan on keeping this truck for five years or so, not the usual 2-3. years. Therefore I'm thinking a Hemi with 120k or so on it that is 5 years old won't be worth anything to potential buyers or to car lots looking to trade. That is concerning to me. I actually don't have any real concerns that the Hemi will handle my driving needs 95% of the time.

Like a lot of people, I don't need a 3/4T all the time...but when I need it, I need it. Unless this Tradesman thing is all it's cracked up to be, I'm going to check that out right now.

Keep the replies coming, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
84 Posts
diesel here is 4.38 now, I sold my Cummins in 07 after it was costing 150 plus to fill up the tank....No dealer wanted it cause it was a diesel. I would imagine its going to be that way again soon...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Who said 120K on a Hemi? I have a hard time with that one, this is a bad ass motor.
I agree with this by the way, I had a 2011 2500 w/ Hemi (for only a few months) and I thought the performance was great. Everyone says the gas mileage tanks when towing / hauling...what's your experience? Do you drop all the way down to 10 mpg or so?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think maybe I've narrowed it down...looking at a Red 2500 Laramie w/ Hemi and a Black 2500 Laramie Diesel. $40k and $45k respectively. Both are regular bed lenght. How do these prices sound to you guys?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Yes. that is the ONE area I knew was going to suffer and it has. My Duramax would tow my trailer and get 12ish mpg. The Hemi. got 8-9 towing it. I dont know if I'm broke in all the way yet but I to tow pretty fast and harder than I should through the 60Fwy. if you know that mountain road.

bottom line is that towing is where I feel the MPG difference for sure. But power wise, I'm very happily surprised how well this gasser does.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Why would a 3/4 ton truck (gasser) have any less value at 5 years than a 1/2 truck?

I would think it should still hold a bit more value than the 1/2 ton :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why would a 3/4 ton truck (gasser) have any less value at 5 years than a 1/2 truck?

I would think it should still hold a bit more value than the 1/2 ton :4-dontknow:
Because the majority of those looking for a 2500 or 3500 want the diesel for towing. I don't plan on towing that much though.

I've never owned a diesel pickup...besides more expensive oil changes, am I in for other costly maintenance? Are there "a lot of things to know" compared to owning and driving a gasser?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I gotta tell ya I traded back to a 1500 from my 2500 due to the fact of gas prices going thru the roof again. My towing neds and hauling needs became lighter. I am getting phenominal gas mileage compared to my 2010 2500 HD CC with Hemi. I have hauled a few loads with it around 2000 pounds and find it way more than adequate. I have not towed with this one yet, but my 04 1500 SLT towed a 33 foot tagalong back and forth to florida with absolutely no porblems. Honestly consider the 1500s for what you do, If your not consistently towing thousands of pounds all over, an hauling alot of heavy gear, you might be surprised. I dont think those prices are as good as they could be either. You may want to play a couple dealers against each other to get a better price.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I think maybe I've narrowed it down...looking at a Red 2500 Laramie w/ Hemi and a Black 2500 Laramie Diesel. $40k and $45k respectively. Both are regular bed lenght. How do these prices sound to you guys?
Not really sure as I've not been looking at prices on Laramies. I'd suggest looking on EBay for a reference. A ton of dealers advertise on EBay and a lot will list a "buy it now" price. Don't be afraid to use the internet. Go to Dodge's website and build the truck you want and then search "local inventory" at nearby dealers. 90 % of dealerships have an internet sales department. A lot of large dealerships will give huge discounts off MSRP as they make their money from Dodge through bonuses by selling huge quantites of vehicles.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Well the good thing if you want a diesel is that there are a ton of them on the lot and not many 2500 Hemi. Ya, they probably dont order as many HD with gas but my experience when looking to buy mine was that the 2500 Hemis went quick

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree sounds like mostly a crew/work truck. Our company has gas jobs for crew trucks and diesels for towing. The gas jobs are cheaper to maintain and unless they are pulling trailers I wouldn't expect that they would last any less. As for re-sale well its probably not going to make much difference. The cummins would have a greater re-sale but it's also going to cost more at first.

·
Registered
15,700 Posts
i would think the new 6.7 cummins are not going to hold their resale value that well. all the epa stuff, and the regen problems are going to hurt it. if was going diesel i would wait for the new cumins with the urea additive.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
i would think the new 6.7 cummins are not going to hold their resale value that well. all the epa stuff, and the regen problems are going to hurt it. if was going diesel i would wait for the new cumins with the urea additive.
Yeah, you're not the first that I've heard / read with less than stellar reviews of the 6.7 Cummins. I'm really not a gear head and have limited knowledge, but overall I had just heard that you can't go wrong with a diesel. I mean, is there pretty much a consensus that the current 2012 Cummins just isn't that great?

As for a 1/2T, I've had a few. They are fine fairly often, but the bed is so short on a 1/2T CC that I can't have a truck box. If I do then I'm pretty much out of room immediately for hauling. I need to be able to put in a reasonably sized 2500lbs load without sweating it. No, this isn't an every day thing, but with our line of work, it does come up.

Also, as I will use this vehicle personally I want the ability to haul a camper or tow a camp trailer...we've been considering buying one.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts