DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man o man, here I go again. I have the hardest time making this call, so maybe you guys can help me out. I'm pretty much set to buy a new work truck. I want a 3/4T, not sure if I'll go regular or long bed. The biggest thing I have to decide is if I want to go with the Hemi or the Cummins. Here's how I'll use the truck.

• Primarily highway miles
  • Little towing
  • Occasional heavy hauling (3,000lbs +/-)
  • Some deliveries up in the woods (we supply loggers)
My concerns are as follows:

• Longevity...people say a gasser in a 3/4T is only good for 120k or so, maybe a little more
  • Resale...can I get rid of a Hemi down the road, or will buyers back away in favor of the Cummins
  • Performance...some make it sound like the Hemi is a turd compared to the Cummins...really? Or is that only in regards to heavy towing/
  • Maintenance...are diesels really that hard to maintain? Are they really that much more expensive in the long run?
  • Fuel economy...will I really see a big benefit with a diesel given the way I plan to use it?
Thanks for any and all help...I plan to purchase soon, maybe this weekend.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks one and all for the replies. I'm actually really surprised by the responses, because pretty much all I've heard up to this point is that I'm crazy to consider buying a 3/4T without a diesel...that I'll never be able to get rid of it, and when I do, I can forget about any decent resale value. That does concern me. Two things said here interest me though...I need to learn more about the Tradesman and the lifetime warranty on the Hemi.

I guess I plan on keeping this truck for five years or so, not the usual 2-3. years. Therefore I'm thinking a Hemi with 120k or so on it that is 5 years old won't be worth anything to potential buyers or to car lots looking to trade. That is concerning to me. I actually don't have any real concerns that the Hemi will handle my driving needs 95% of the time.

Like a lot of people, I don't need a 3/4T all the time...but when I need it, I need it. Unless this Tradesman thing is all it's cracked up to be, I'm going to check that out right now.

Keep the replies coming, I'm all ears.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Who said 120K on a Hemi? I have a hard time with that one, this is a bad ass motor.
I agree with this by the way, I had a 2011 2500 w/ Hemi (for only a few months) and I thought the performance was great. Everyone says the gas mileage tanks when towing / hauling...what's your experience? Do you drop all the way down to 10 mpg or so?

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think maybe I've narrowed it down...looking at a Red 2500 Laramie w/ Hemi and a Black 2500 Laramie Diesel. $40k and $45k respectively. Both are regular bed lenght. How do these prices sound to you guys?

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why would a 3/4 ton truck (gasser) have any less value at 5 years than a 1/2 truck?

I would think it should still hold a bit more value than the 1/2 ton :4-dontknow:
Because the majority of those looking for a 2500 or 3500 want the diesel for towing. I don't plan on towing that much though.

I've never owned a diesel pickup...besides more expensive oil changes, am I in for other costly maintenance? Are there "a lot of things to know" compared to owning and driving a gasser?

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
i would think the new 6.7 cummins are not going to hold their resale value that well. all the epa stuff, and the regen problems are going to hurt it. if was going diesel i would wait for the new cumins with the urea additive.
Yeah, you're not the first that I've heard / read with less than stellar reviews of the 6.7 Cummins. I'm really not a gear head and have limited knowledge, but overall I had just heard that you can't go wrong with a diesel. I mean, is there pretty much a consensus that the current 2012 Cummins just isn't that great?

As for a 1/2T, I've had a few. They are fine fairly often, but the bed is so short on a 1/2T CC that I can't have a truck box. If I do then I'm pretty much out of room immediately for hauling. I need to be able to put in a reasonably sized 2500lbs load without sweating it. No, this isn't an every day thing, but with our line of work, it does come up.

Also, as I will use this vehicle personally I want the ability to haul a camper or tow a camp trailer...we've been considering buying one.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
...i just got my 2012 2500 hemi with every option but leather,sunroof for 33500 out the door and they threw in a set of step bars and mudflaps. so i personally think 40 is high.
So, is that a Laramie then? I ask because I didn't know you could every option in an SLT or Big Horn trim level. Maybe it's a regional thing too, I don't know. Trucks are and always have been at a premium here in the Pac NW. I really don't know how much variation there can be by market. The truck I posted the link for is on ad @ $39,100 basically...that's a better price than anything I've found around here. That's about $8 or 9k off MSRP I think...I've seen certain 1T models, fully loaded and such for $11 or 12k off MSRP on year end deals, but that's about it. I've already had two dealers walk away in the past week, saying they just can't compete with the pricing I'm being offered. A tactic...maybe. But I don't think so, otherwise they'd have called back by now.

Anyway, I should get back on track. I guess the thread is really supposed to be about Hemi vs Cummins. At this point, nothing has swayed me toward the Cummins.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I bought my 2500 with the Hemi to replace my '05 F250 diesel. The truck is awesome...incredible ride empty and really strong loaded. It does everything that my 7 year old diesel did and then some, but it's cheaper to run, easier to work on and doesn't sound and smell like a school bus. I have zero concerns about resale, especially with diesel over $4.25 here. It'll be worth less than the diesel but it's costing you less in today's dollars to buy.

Look, the truck's got nearly 400hp and 400 ft/lbs Those were diesel numbers not that long ago. It's like when you go TV shopping and a 60" looks small next to a 72". The 60" is still a damn big TV.

As far as price goes mine's a Big Horn 4x4 that I bought off the lot during the end of the year sale in November. I paid like $35 and change for it.
Great post man, thanks.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Man o man...drove a Hemi 2500 CC Long Bed today, then right after that I drove a Cummins 6.7 2500 CC Regular Bed...maybe I shouldn't have done that. The Hemi was good, the Cummins was great! The torque was immediate. I stepped on it on the freeway, and before I knew it, I was at 80mph. The RPM's never got above 2500...unreal. Maybe all you diesel folks are used to this, but I'm not. The Hemi had enough power indeed, but the shift points were slower (further between) and the RPM's raged to nearly 6000 before hitting 80mph. So, a pretty big eye opener for a guy like me. Still not sure if I can justify the Cummins, but I sure could get used to driving with that kind of power at my disposal.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Short trips,not towing,daily driving etc do nothing but kill a diesels longevity and also with the new dpf systems does nothing but cause problems and will cost u a ton in the long run.
Thanks for the reply. A couple things...first, I won't be running just short trips and around town. Two days per week I drive 1.5hrs each way on I-5 about 70mph. The other three days per week I drive about 45min each way, same road same speed. I just wanted to clarify, it will be more than just a bumpin' around town sort of rig.

Second, can you elaborate about the new DPF system and what kind of problems it causes. I really don't know anything about it. What's the issue, and even with normal driving and hauling, is the engine destined to have problems? Seems like some people really love their Cummins and some people are tired of problems...but I'm not really clear what the problems are.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
so, what did the op get?
Nothing yet...tomorrow should be the "big day". I'm driving 7hrs to a dealer that actually has a lot of inventory. Only three Hemi's that appeal to me, but that's three more than I can find locally. Also, they have a lot full of Cummins. I will have great selection and very good pricing, should be a long but ultimately rewarding day. I have approximately 18hrs to make up my mind, Cummins or Hemi.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Today I signed papers on the Hemi. I drove both one more time, and in the end, I feel the Hemi gives me what I need at a price I can live with. Plus, it's still a beautiful truck! Black on black Laramie, I'm diggin it!

I know, I know, it's not a Cummins. I get it, the Cummins is sweet, but I was big enough to walk away and realize I don't really need the diesel. If all things were equal, then sure. But for about $6k more, bigger payments, more expensive fuel, more expensive maintenance, more expensive repairs, etc...I just couldn't get it to pencil out.

I ended up getting my truck for under $38k, out the door. For a 3/4T truck with NAV, leather, and all the bells and whistles...I feel like I got a really good deal. Plus, I love look of the RAM trucks, definitely better than my 2011 Sliverado 2500 that I just handed off to my salesman. It's a good truck and will serve him well, but the RAM is all mine baby!

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
So you drove seven hours , let me guess, Sundance Dodge, Dennis Dillon , Boise, Id. On Auto Dr.
Did Scott treat you well.
Drive Happy , Drive Often. Enjoy your new Dodge Ram Laramie 4X4 HEMI

Should you change your TRUCK INFO ???

Hah! You're all over it. Dennis Dillon it was, and they treated me pretty well. The experience, overall, was above average. Not great but not bad either. I never felt any sales pressure and I liked that. Yes, I'll get right on changing my truck info!

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
congats, great choice on the engine. you wont be sorry. pics???????
I'll try to get pics up soon, and thanks, it's nice to hear a simple "congrats". I've gotten a hard time for not going diesel, especially on the Cummins Forum but that's to be expected. With all the checking around and research I did, I am confident that I got a really nice truck at a really good price that will keep me happy for a long time. And heck, if my needs really change and I just gotta have a diesel, then I'll get one. For now, I'm happy with my "simple" engine that has plenty of get up and go for this guy. And the Laramie package...nice job Dodge, this is a slick truck. Reminds me of my dad's Denali. Trimmed just about as nice as that to be honest.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I am considering similiar truck purchase at Dennis Dillion listed around $39,000. Down to 36k if applicable for military discounts etc... Did you qualify for further discounts to hit the 38k mark or where you able to talk them down more from the $39,000 price tag. Just asking so when I go to purchase my new truck from them, I will know If they really have room to lower the price some at a fairly good deal as is. Its nice to know how firm they really are if you know what I mean ;)

Thanks in advance
You must be looking at one of the red ones? I like red, but for a work truck I felt black was more appropriate. But I love red trucks! Anyway, I had a $750 loyalty discount and I qualified for a business $500 upfit credit which I applied toward the running boards that were already on the truck. I don't know if they'll move off the $39k price or not, I'd doubt it, but you never know. They were pretty far below others I checked and I had a couple dealerships say "they're just buying a number". That basically means that if they hit a certain sales volume at a certain time of the month, then they get extra incentive money. So they may sell the truck at cost, but they get a kickback. I couldn't explain it any better because I've never sold cars, but I know it works something like that. Sometimes it's just about moving inventory.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.