Man o man, here I go again. I have the hardest time making this call, so maybe you guys can help me out. I'm pretty much set to buy a new work truck. I want a 3/4T, not sure if I'll go regular or long bed. The biggest thing I have to decide is if I want to go with the Hemi or the Cummins. Here's how I'll use the truck.
- Primarily highway miles
- Little towing
- Occasional heavy hauling (3,000lbs +/-)
- Some deliveries up in the woods (we supply loggers)
My concerns are as follows:
- Longevity...people say a gasser in a 3/4T is only good for 120k or so, maybe a little more
- Resale...can I get rid of a Hemi down the road, or will buyers back away in favor of the Cummins
- Performance...some make it sound like the Hemi is a turd compared to the Cummins...really? Or is that only in regards to heavy towing/
- Maintenance...are diesels really that hard to maintain? Are they really that much more expensive in the long run?
- Fuel economy...will I really see a big benefit with a diesel given the way I plan to use it?
Thanks for any and all help...I plan to purchase soon, maybe this weekend.