DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Ready to Buy a 2500: Hemi or Cummins?

43867 Views 60 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  huntergreen
Man o man, here I go again. I have the hardest time making this call, so maybe you guys can help me out. I'm pretty much set to buy a new work truck. I want a 3/4T, not sure if I'll go regular or long bed. The biggest thing I have to decide is if I want to go with the Hemi or the Cummins. Here's how I'll use the truck.

• Primarily highway miles
  • Little towing
  • Occasional heavy hauling (3,000lbs +/-)
  • Some deliveries up in the woods (we supply loggers)
My concerns are as follows:

• Longevity...people say a gasser in a 3/4T is only good for 120k or so, maybe a little more
  • Resale...can I get rid of a Hemi down the road, or will buyers back away in favor of the Cummins
  • Performance...some make it sound like the Hemi is a turd compared to the Cummins...really? Or is that only in regards to heavy towing/
  • Maintenance...are diesels really that hard to maintain? Are they really that much more expensive in the long run?
  • Fuel economy...will I really see a big benefit with a diesel given the way I plan to use it?
Thanks for any and all help...I plan to purchase soon, maybe this weekend.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,406 Posts
I doesn't sound like you can justify the diesel. .... Unless you just Want the diesel and thats fine :)

I sold a diesel to get the Hemi. and have been very very happy and I tow right at 10K semi often.

Who said 120K on a Hemi? I have a hard time with that one, this is a bad ass motor.

Get the lifetime warranty if it bothers you though

~~~ Diesel is great, if you need it.
It costs a LOT more initially, but a lot can be recovered in resale.
Diesel is well past the price of Premium - at least here.
maintenance is more with fuel filters each oil change - which is what,3-4 gallons?

I loved my Diesel, but dont miss it at all.

· Registered
1,406 Posts
Yes. that is the ONE area I knew was going to suffer and it has. My Duramax would tow my trailer and get 12ish mpg. The Hemi. got 8-9 towing it. I dont know if I'm broke in all the way yet but I to tow pretty fast and harder than I should through the 60Fwy. if you know that mountain road.

bottom line is that towing is where I feel the MPG difference for sure. But power wise, I'm very happily surprised how well this gasser does.

· Registered
1,406 Posts
Why would a 3/4 ton truck (gasser) have any less value at 5 years than a 1/2 truck?

I would think it should still hold a bit more value than the 1/2 ton :4-dontknow:

· Registered
1,406 Posts
Well the good thing if you want a diesel is that there are a ton of them on the lot and not many 2500 Hemi. Ya, they probably dont order as many HD with gas but my experience when looking to buy mine was that the 2500 Hemis went quick

· Registered
1,406 Posts
Good point! We play hell with the diesel work trucks that don't get out on the highway enough. You MUST go run them at highway speeds to clean out the soot filter or they clog up and require a trip to the dealer when they go into limp mode.

· Registered
1,406 Posts
Well that depends on the truck. My sticker was a touch over $50K so when I got it for $41K I was pretty satisfied.

Even if you 'option out' a SLT you have to consider that there are options you just cant get without going to a higher trim. Also, are we talking 4x4? What cab? etc.

· Registered
1,406 Posts
I bought my 2500 with the Hemi to replace my '05 F250 diesel. The truck is awesome...incredible ride empty and really strong loaded. It does everything that my 7 year old diesel did and then some, but it's cheaper to run, easier to work on and doesn't sound and smell like a school bus. I have zero concerns about resale, especially with diesel over $4.25 here. It'll be worth less than the diesel but it's costing you less in today's dollars to buy.

Look, the truck's got nearly 400hp and 400 ft/lbs Those were diesel numbers not that long ago. It's like when you go TV shopping and a 60" looks small next to a 72". The 60" is still a damn big TV.

As far as price goes mine's a Big Horn 4x4 that I bought off the lot during the end of the year sale in November. I paid like $35 and change for it.
Well said sir. Good point on the current figures, I remember my 04' diesel had about the numbers the new Hemi. has!

· Registered
1,406 Posts
Congratulations! You make the sensible decision and I have no doubt you'll be very happy with your choice. The Hemi. is a fantastic engine and you got the 66RFE transmission which is solid.

GREAT price! You don't have sales tax in Oregon right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.