DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Ready to Buy a 2500: Hemi or Cummins?

43867 Views 60 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  huntergreen
Man o man, here I go again. I have the hardest time making this call, so maybe you guys can help me out. I'm pretty much set to buy a new work truck. I want a 3/4T, not sure if I'll go regular or long bed. The biggest thing I have to decide is if I want to go with the Hemi or the Cummins. Here's how I'll use the truck.

• Primarily highway miles
  • Little towing
  • Occasional heavy hauling (3,000lbs +/-)
  • Some deliveries up in the woods (we supply loggers)
My concerns are as follows:

• Longevity...people say a gasser in a 3/4T is only good for 120k or so, maybe a little more
  • Resale...can I get rid of a Hemi down the road, or will buyers back away in favor of the Cummins
  • Performance...some make it sound like the Hemi is a turd compared to the Cummins...really? Or is that only in regards to heavy towing/
  • Maintenance...are diesels really that hard to maintain? Are they really that much more expensive in the long run?
  • Fuel economy...will I really see a big benefit with a diesel given the way I plan to use it?
Thanks for any and all help...I plan to purchase soon, maybe this weekend.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
diesel truck is more expensive to maintain in the long run.
I would not worry about longevity on the HEMI.
You will also pay more at the pump for diesel (today diesels are not so fuel efficient due to stupid regulations), and if you are not towing, then I would suggest staying wit the gas engine.
BUT....If you really want to louder and more expensive (MSRP and Maintenance & Fuel) truck then go with the Diesel :)

· Registered
33 Posts
A couple more things to consider:
- A 2500 truck (HEMI or Cummins) will never ride a well as a 1500, and if you spend a lot of time on a paved road, then you will appreciate t he nice and smooth ride
- A 2500 truck (HEMI or Cummins) will never have as good steering and handling as a 1500 truck

I know it is a tough decision so good luck!

· Registered
33 Posts
As I said before - for daily driver I would get the 1500 HEMI and enjoy the smooth ride and power.

BUT If you really crave having a diesel, then get the CUMMINS -> Delete EGR + DPF -> Put a MaxxFlow Intake manifold -> put a MiniMaxx -> Enjoy your new truck

If you have to go visit the dealer for something major, then revert the process (5-6 hours work)

Life is short and aliens are coming (word on the street) soon so go get that CUMMINS :)

Good luck with your decision -- BTW there are plenty of people that use their 6.7 CUMMINS as daily drivers (deleted) and are OK

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.