DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Ready to Buy a 2500: Hemi or Cummins?

43867 Views 60 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  huntergreen
Man o man, here I go again. I have the hardest time making this call, so maybe you guys can help me out. I'm pretty much set to buy a new work truck. I want a 3/4T, not sure if I'll go regular or long bed. The biggest thing I have to decide is if I want to go with the Hemi or the Cummins. Here's how I'll use the truck.

• Primarily highway miles
  • Little towing
  • Occasional heavy hauling (3,000lbs +/-)
  • Some deliveries up in the woods (we supply loggers)
My concerns are as follows:

• Longevity...people say a gasser in a 3/4T is only good for 120k or so, maybe a little more
  • Resale...can I get rid of a Hemi down the road, or will buyers back away in favor of the Cummins
  • Performance...some make it sound like the Hemi is a turd compared to the Cummins...really? Or is that only in regards to heavy towing/
  • Maintenance...are diesels really that hard to maintain? Are they really that much more expensive in the long run?
  • Fuel economy...will I really see a big benefit with a diesel given the way I plan to use it?
Thanks for any and all help...I plan to purchase soon, maybe this weekend.
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

· Registered
1,406 Posts
Good point! We play hell with the diesel work trucks that don't get out on the highway enough. You MUST go run them at highway speeds to clean out the soot filter or they clog up and require a trip to the dealer when they go into limp mode.

· Registered
18 Posts
I just bought a 3/4 ton with a hemi. I bought it so I could have the heavier chassie with leaf springs as I don't have much faith in coil springs in the rear especially if you are going to be carrying any heavy loads a t times or rough woods roads.
I had a hemi in a meagacab 2006 1500 series that was on 3/4 ton chassie and when I got rid of that one was not was not able to get a 1500 series on 3/4 ton chassie with leaf springs unless I got a actual 2500 series truck other wise I would have got one same as before. Now after reading this thread it looks like I may have researched enough and could have got it from someones post above.

· Registered
662 Posts
If I wind up buying a Hemi powered 2500, I definately want the 4.10 gears because I want to run 35 inch tires.

· Registered
314 Posts
40k is super high i think. I went through the same thing as you did with picking out a new truck as i have owned diesels for the last 5 years and i ended up going with the hemi for 2 reasons as i stated in another thread. 1. the price of diesel is crazy now and they do not get good mileage compared to the old 5.9l diesels and 2. to get great mileage especially when towing you are going to have to " delete " em which means get rid of the dpf system,egr and that'll run ya close to 800-1200 bucks to get decent mileage out of em. Also i just got my 2012 2500 hemi with every option but leather,sunroof for 33500 out the door and they threw in a set of step bars and mudflaps. so i personally think 40 is high. I was working on a diesel and same options was 42 out the door.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
...i just got my 2012 2500 hemi with every option but leather,sunroof for 33500 out the door and they threw in a set of step bars and mudflaps. so i personally think 40 is high.
So, is that a Laramie then? I ask because I didn't know you could every option in an SLT or Big Horn trim level. Maybe it's a regional thing too, I don't know. Trucks are and always have been at a premium here in the Pac NW. I really don't know how much variation there can be by market. The truck I posted the link for is on ad @ $39,100 basically...that's a better price than anything I've found around here. That's about $8 or 9k off MSRP I think...I've seen certain 1T models, fully loaded and such for $11 or 12k off MSRP on year end deals, but that's about it. I've already had two dealers walk away in the past week, saying they just can't compete with the pricing I'm being offered. A tactic...maybe. But I don't think so, otherwise they'd have called back by now.

Anyway, I should get back on track. I guess the thread is really supposed to be about Hemi vs Cummins. At this point, nothing has swayed me toward the Cummins.

· Registered
1,406 Posts
Well that depends on the truck. My sticker was a touch over $50K so when I got it for $41K I was pretty satisfied.

Even if you 'option out' a SLT you have to consider that there are options you just cant get without going to a higher trim. Also, are we talking 4x4? What cab? etc.

· Registered
33 Posts
A couple more things to consider:
- A 2500 truck (HEMI or Cummins) will never ride a well as a 1500, and if you spend a lot of time on a paved road, then you will appreciate t he nice and smooth ride
- A 2500 truck (HEMI or Cummins) will never have as good steering and handling as a 1500 truck

I know it is a tough decision so good luck!

· Registered
88 Posts
I bought my 2500 with the Hemi to replace my '05 F250 diesel. The truck is awesome...incredible ride empty and really strong loaded. It does everything that my 7 year old diesel did and then some, but it's cheaper to run, easier to work on and doesn't sound and smell like a school bus. I have zero concerns about resale, especially with diesel over $4.25 here. It'll be worth less than the diesel but it's costing you less in today's dollars to buy.

Look, the truck's got nearly 400hp and 400 ft/lbs Those were diesel numbers not that long ago. It's like when you go TV shopping and a 60" looks small next to a 72". The 60" is still a damn big TV.

As far as price goes mine's a Big Horn 4x4 that I bought off the lot during the end of the year sale in November. I paid like $35 and change for it.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I bought my 2500 with the Hemi to replace my '05 F250 diesel. The truck is awesome...incredible ride empty and really strong loaded. It does everything that my 7 year old diesel did and then some, but it's cheaper to run, easier to work on and doesn't sound and smell like a school bus. I have zero concerns about resale, especially with diesel over $4.25 here. It'll be worth less than the diesel but it's costing you less in today's dollars to buy.

Look, the truck's got nearly 400hp and 400 ft/lbs Those were diesel numbers not that long ago. It's like when you go TV shopping and a 60" looks small next to a 72". The 60" is still a damn big TV.

As far as price goes mine's a Big Horn 4x4 that I bought off the lot during the end of the year sale in November. I paid like $35 and change for it.
Great post man, thanks.

· Registered
1,406 Posts

Well said sir. Good point on the current figures, I remember my 04' diesel had about the numbers the new Hemi. has!

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Man o man...drove a Hemi 2500 CC Long Bed today, then right after that I drove a Cummins 6.7 2500 CC Regular Bed...maybe I shouldn't have done that. The Hemi was good, the Cummins was great! The torque was immediate. I stepped on it on the freeway, and before I knew it, I was at 80mph. The RPM's never got above 2500...unreal. Maybe all you diesel folks are used to this, but I'm not. The Hemi had enough power indeed, but the shift points were slower (further between) and the RPM's raged to nearly 6000 before hitting 80mph. So, a pretty big eye opener for a guy like me. Still not sure if I can justify the Cummins, but I sure could get used to driving with that kind of power at my disposal.

· Registered
314 Posts
Like I said before yeah the cummins is top notch in low end torque and overall great if you are always towing and coming from me a guy who has owned diesels for the last 7+ years I still want one and will have another one for play soon but to the op does he really need one and can he justify the extra expense for one? Short trips,not towing,daily driving etc do nothing but kill a diesels longevity and also with the new dpf systems does nothing but cause problems and will cost u a ton in the long run. I know this because I have been there done that and absolutey love the diesel but for the op standpoint a Gasser is gonna be the best way for him but also to the op do what u want to afterall it is your truck and your money and which one is gonna suit you best is up to you to decide but keep us updated on your decision

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Short trips,not towing,daily driving etc do nothing but kill a diesels longevity and also with the new dpf systems does nothing but cause problems and will cost u a ton in the long run.
Thanks for the reply. A couple things...first, I won't be running just short trips and around town. Two days per week I drive 1.5hrs each way on I-5 about 70mph. The other three days per week I drive about 45min each way, same road same speed. I just wanted to clarify, it will be more than just a bumpin' around town sort of rig.

Second, can you elaborate about the new DPF system and what kind of problems it causes. I really don't know anything about it. What's the issue, and even with normal driving and hauling, is the engine destined to have problems? Seems like some people really love their Cummins and some people are tired of problems...but I'm not really clear what the problems are.

· Registered
314 Posts
The problems with the dpf is its an emissions deal that is supposed to burn unused fuel and it cycles it back through the motor etc etc. But the problem is during the regent process your egt temps reach 1300-1500 degrees.what I have seen personally and friends of mine are experiencing if you don't work these new 6.7 cummins is that the soot build up is horrible which in turn clogs Turbo and pretty much chokes off the motor. What I'm seeing and what we are gonna do to our new one we will be buying soon is the deletes. This will eliminate the emissions crap and help the motor perform like it should. Everyone I know who has one of the new diesels says the minute they delete it its a whole new truck and they wish they would have done it sooner.before the deletes the mileage was 10-13 and after deletes they are getting 15-18 and even more sometimes. My buddy runs a performance shop and he has been told that with the emissions on these new motors it pretty much cuts the life span in half. A cummins motor is rated highest of all big 3 at 350,00 or 500,00 and with emissions on em they are saying its a 150,000 miles motor? I'm not saying they won't last longer but if a person doesn't work a diesel and tow with it regularly then it does shorten the lifespan of it.we own 2 other diesels now and they both are at 200,000 and no problems at all yet but they stayed hooked to a trailer ans pull everyday. Problems I personally have seen with the new ones include poor fuel mileage,clogged dpf filter, turbos sooted up and that's about it and the occasional injector so from what I have seen everything is emissions related. Go to dodge cummins diesel forumns and look around there all u ever need to know about the emissions and new diesels. You will notice everyone there says delete when u get it and you will be happy. Hope that clears it up for a little bit. and to add i absolutly love the cummins diesel but went the route of the gasser because i did not want to deal with deletes and lose my warrenty on a 42k truck

· Registered
662 Posts
I'm glad I found this site and this thread. It's helped me make up my mind as far as engine choices. If I wind up with a 3/4 ton pickup it will definately be a gas engine. I'm positive I would have nothing but problems with a diesel engine because of my wife and my driving needs. Now I just have to decide between Dodge and Ford. On paper, the Hemi 5.7 and Ford 6.2 appear nearly equal.

· Registered
33 Posts
As I said before - for daily driver I would get the 1500 HEMI and enjoy the smooth ride and power.

BUT If you really crave having a diesel, then get the CUMMINS -> Delete EGR + DPF -> Put a MaxxFlow Intake manifold -> put a MiniMaxx -> Enjoy your new truck

If you have to go visit the dealer for something major, then revert the process (5-6 hours work)

Life is short and aliens are coming (word on the street) soon so go get that CUMMINS :)

Good luck with your decision -- BTW there are plenty of people that use their 6.7 CUMMINS as daily drivers (deleted) and are OK

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.