DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wha t to know who has been to the dyno. What kind of numbers do you really have, no butt dyno bs. I have ported TB, flow tech headers into flowmaster scavenger y-merge 3" which I am a true believer ovEr duals which I had before. Raced a co-workers 24v with a 150hp "box" clutch etc. I pulled him until 90 which is well past the 1/4. What to do next. Don't want him to catch me at all, I'm sure he's as home right now in self destruction trying to order parts. PortEd intake is fore sure next but what after that, racing isn't my main goal, but want to make a fun truck

·
Registered
83 Posts
LS1 Swap!!!...

NO?:LOL:well then lets get started. You had good results with the full exhaust ...true? Now that air is getting out you need to let it in...I'm sure the ported intake will help, but without getting into the motor its going to be 15-20 hpest with finishing bolt-ons

1.)Port the intake..lots of pics online that show the right way to do it,

2.) Quality OEM electric fan like Camaro/mustang, just anything with a shroud and wire it to an auto thermister, that toggle switch shit gets old fast.

3.)TUNE!!! all these bolt-ons won't mean shit if the tune is off..

4.) GEAR!!! this is going to be like adding 40 ft.lbs of tq!!! Remember thet truck is heavy ahd the 3.55's are boggin down the little 318 in high gear...4.10...unless you find a KILLER deal on 3.90s

This should suck your wallet dry for a good while.....If you feel the need to go further..

5.) build that 318...you don't want to skimp out and do half the job like installing aluminum heads on a 220,000 mile motor....Aluminum heads with a matched cam.etc, will allow it to rev higher and peak further in the rpm band

6.) If all else fails, LS1 swap...:gy:

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
I hate to say it, but he can drop $3K and easily destroy you compared to what you'd have to spend to keep up with him. The 24V also has a huge following compared to the 5.2L, so he'll be able to order a lot of basic stuff and easily be up in the 400hp/800ft-lb range. Hell, for him, a simple chip install can add 75hp and 150ft-lb, more if he doesn't want his tranny for very long.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm fully aware of that, he should have destroyed me anyways but my trucked hooked great. I really want to know what kind of numbers are out there for these engines, nobody posts any actual results.my plans with my truck will be somewhere in the realm of some zero deck pistons, cam, aluminum heads and dyno tune in the near future with 4.10 gears.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
Basically, the performance of an engine comes down to air flow, and that all happens in the heads. Heads and cams are the biggest factors (mainly heads) with naturally aspirated engines. If you have a decent intake and exhaust, then heads and cam will make a big difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My exhaust can't possibly flow anymore unless I go with larger headers, but once the intake is done the heads will be the choking point, and my luck when I pull my heads there will be issues so I want to go with some aluminum if my bank account allows, or some stock remanned heads ported. New pushrods lifters cam with the rebuild because I'm not going to dump money into a 220k mile engine

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It has deffinately crossed my mind, there is an article in poplar hotrod that showes a n/a 318 making 400hp with the build I want to go with .

·
Registered
83 Posts
Keep in mind those cummins are turds without the turbo....

What don't you turbo your 318? build the bottom end and do a turbo..keep your mileage and but the hurting to that cummins

1 - 9 of 9 Posts