DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2000 did the rust repair. Got her in primer. Just finished rebuilding the front end. My 360 is pushing 205000 miles and is tired.

Now my old farmer buddy has a 71 440 older rebuild he is junking out the inventory so I can get it for a case of beer. Has the better heads been worked a bit. Got it to fire today.

Looked everywhere for a bellhousing to work with a NV4500. Which I thought for sure they had to have something. Was really popular doing jeeps. Nothing. Anyway there is a 79 powerwagon. With a 727. But small block bell. Know I can get a Big block bellhousing. But will a 727 work on a 2nd gen transfer case? Also can I get the fuel pump to work without the computer or should I go clicky clack aftermarket? Really stupid idea but its a mud/farm truck. Thought it be fun.....

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
You can make it work, it just a matter of the work involved. Obviously a 440 needs a big block bellhousing and a 360 uses a small block, but the REs were basically a 727 with an overdrive in the tailshaft.

Or, instead of a 7.2L/440" V8 you could put in an 8.0/488" V10 small block in it. They came from the factory with them so it'll be easier getting everything to play together

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,649 Posts
Case of beer for an engine, that sounds like a "free but needs a few things" scenario where it nickel and dimes you to death.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eh he just got 7 gas wells. Main line and talking about putting a compressor station on his land. So he is building a new house and said he's done junkin and buying a Viper. Lol im just looking to see if its possiable. Still searching about the NV 4500 see if theres a kit. He suggested a 4 speed Big block trans to a divoriced transfer case. Thats a whole lotta work. May just have my 360 rebuilt with some goodies. What $2500/$3000? Do like the thought of a 440 in there lol. The 79 ramcharger transfer case looks completely different naturally just to bolt up to mine. Like I said stupid idea.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I mean there are kits to stroke your 360 out to 426 cubes, so you could just rebuild it and take it that direction

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been watching roadkill garage. Been reading up on the 360. My issue is its the magnum not the LA......wondering how far I can go before I lose out on the computer. Or if I can use a LA intake on the magnum and go straight carb. Truck is used occasionally on the road. But its wheezing at the mud bogs. Running 33's its got tons of torque but got nothing past 2800 rpm falls flat on its face. Claims to be 250ish hp probably down to 180ish like to run around 300+

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh its also a Heavy half with tow/plow package......got 3.91's maybe dropping it down to 3.55s would help. Heard my NV4500 is really to blame but I perfer the control of a 5speed off roading. Desperately needs lockers anyways. Eh may call a machine shop and talk to them on options. Would like to keep the A/C so eh 360 its is. Thanks for the help. Got a blank canvas and $5500 set aside.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The 79 ramcharger transfer case looks completely different naturally just to bolt up to mine. Like I said stupid idea.

79 t case is full time 4WD! Even a 408 stroker will need a tune for it to run right.

its got tons of torque but got nothing past 2800 rpm falls flat on its face.

Get rid of the kegger intake and put on either an air gap or M1.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts