DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the title of the thread says it all... When I close the rear passenger door it has started to make an ugly clunk sound as it latches. It almost sounds as though the latch hits something as it connects.

This just began last week and the door was never hit or subject to any rough treatment. Any ideas on how to deal with this?

The door still seems to line up perfectly with the door frame and the body of the truck, but I assume something is indeed out of alignment.

Is there a way to make an adjustment to something to stop the ugly "clunk" sound before it gets worse? :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Idk what is causing the sound but i have the exact same sound on the same door on my truck which is a black 2011 1500 sport. It is weird because its only that door. Maybe some sort of defect. I would love to hear a solution for it because it bugs me (not that i use the door that often)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adjustment?

I took a look for some kind of adjustment screws, but I really don't know what I'm looking for....

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I've had this problem with my driver door on my 2010 since I bought it. My parents have a 2011 and theirs does the same thing. I took my truck to the dealer about a year and a half ago and all they did was grease the door up. Then they told me to grease it myself at least twice a year. It's kind of funny, all the previous vehicles I've ever owned have never clunked like this. And I've never had to grease any of my doors. Seems like it get's worse when it's hot out.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to have a GMC Canyon with this issue, and some guys on a Canyon forum told me about an adjustment that can be made by tightening some nuts near the hinge. I was skeptical but I did it and it worked.

....just can't find a similar nut to tighten on the Ram door...

·
Registered
135 Posts
I had that in the back door of a Chevy Suburban I had. Took the door panel off and found out it was a factory rivet that came loose and the door handle was not tight. Drilled out the rivet and replaced it with a nut and bolt - problem solved. Of course - your issue may be something entirely different!

·
Registered
99 Posts
My brother had the problem this year on his 2011 too. He went to the dealer and they basically greased it up too. Haven't noticed it on my 2010, but I don't use it as a daily driver.

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Silicone Spray Lube will take the problem away for about a year. I do it to mine every summer. I also wipe down the weatherstripping with it. Keeps it nice and supple so it seals consistently and does not dryrot.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I never thought I would utter these words, but "Lube won't solve my issue". Lol

Something is no longer lining up right. I had a look today and something is definitely out of adjustment. It seems as though the latch in the door hits the D ring on the door frame too low. It makes a clunk and rides up a bit in order to latch.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think the title of the thread says it all... When I close the rear passenger door it has started to make an ugly clunk sound as it latches. It almost sounds as though the latch hits something as it connects.

This just began last week and the door was never hit or subject to any rough treatment. Any ideas on how to deal with this?

The door still seems to line up perfectly with the door frame and the body of the truck, but I assume something is indeed out of alignment.

Is there a way to make an adjustment to something to stop the ugly "clunk" sound before it gets worse? :4-dontknow:
I never thought I would utter these words, but "Lube won't solve my issue". Lol

Something is no longer lining up right. I had a look today and something is definitely out of adjustment. It seems as though the latch in the door hits the D ring on the door frame too low. It makes a clunk and rides up a bit in order to latch.
Just happen to see your post yesterday. I Have (Had) the same problem with my front passenger door. It started about 6 months ago. Was at the dealer and mentioned it to the body shop manager. He brings out this ingenious pry bar that hooks into the catch on the B-post then the latch on the door. 2 slight push's downward and it's fixed. He informed me that they have had a few Rams where the door was caught by the wind and sprung the hinges. With the Rams they tend to go up and the latch rubs the bottom of the catch. I can see both marks where it was rubbing.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I had an issue a year or so back, where when I shut the rear door on drivers side it made like a laud click, or clack noise. I had it looked at when I was at the dealer and the body shop guy messed around with the rubber seal and it went away. It was not seated in right and was catching and causing it to make a noise when shutting the door. Not sure if that is what you are experiencing, but that is what I had happen to me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had an issue a year or so back, where when I shut the rear door on drivers side it made like a laud click, or clack noise. I had it looked at when I was at the dealer and the body shop guy messed around with the rubber seal and it went away. It was not seated in right and was catching and causing it to make a noise when shutting the door. Not sure if that is what you are experiencing, but that is what I had happen to me.

Same thing on both of my rear doors - Problem is the seals scratched the hell out of my door jambs , they where catching when opening the doors - Had the dealer take pictures for warranty down the road - Not happy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts