DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if this is the right section but this is a problem with many ram trucks and I could never get a answer to what caused it. Even my dealer blew it off as inherent to my model truck... well that was Bull. I wanted to share this to all as many will benefit if only by knowing what to tell the dealer the issue is. This should be a sticky!
Here is your problem and how to eliminate it; This is for 1500 2wd Ram trucks with two piece drive shafts, other models may use same design I'm not sure.

Problem solved!!!! Here it is guys i figured it out and fixed it! 2015 crew can 5.7 8 speed 3.92 gear, developed the clunk when you apply the brakes and stop then as you let off CLUNK or sometimes like someone tapped your rear bumper, well i figured it out and fixed it today, now all my stops are smooth as butter. These trucks have a two piece drive shaft on the rear section if you get down and look you will see a rubber accordion looking boot with two metal bands securing it. this covers where the drive shaft is two pieces the rear one that slips inside the front one these two parts are fluted and slide together on the splines. Well i had a Chevy Z71 that had a similar set up that did the same thing. So it dawned on me this is exactly the same thing, so we pulled the back section of the shaft and removed the boot sure enough same concept as the Chevy both pieces were supposed to be greased up good so when you stop the piece slides in smoothly and when you let off brake it slides back smoothly, what i found was dry spots and even some light rust ( only 10k on truck) also you could see where the shaft was dry and trying to slide it had made ruff marks on the wide splines, so we took some emery cloth sand paper and smoothed all the roughness off and greased the heck out of all the splines with Green Grease this stuff is slick as owl shit and water proof it stays where you put it. Put shaft back together be sure to mark the two pieces so you get it back like it came apart then torque flange bolts to 85 lb and use 242 lock tight. I guarantee you this will fix that damn clunk! I hope the fix lasts a long time the Chevy did. But if you had to redo it in 20-30k its not that hard to do took about a hour and a half but now that i now exactly what to do i could do in under a hour. After my dealers remarks I did this myself as I know my work is better than what they would have done but I'm sure if you can get them to check it, warranty would cover them doing it. :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mine had a very light red type grease but it was no where near enough to prevent the galling that led to my bump, its so nice to just drive and stop and feel nothing again !!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Not sure if this is the right section but this is a problem with many ram trucks and I could never get a answer to what caused it. Even my dealer blew it off as inherent to my model truck... well that was Bull. I wanted to share this to all as many will benefit if only by knowing what to tell the dealer the issue is. This should be a sticky!
Here is your problem and how to eliminate it; This is for 1500 2wd Ram trucks with two piece drive shafts, other models may use same design I'm not sure.

Problem solved!!!! Here it is guys i figured it out and fixed it! 2015 crew can 5.7 8 speed 3.92 gear, developed the clunk when you apply the brakes and stop then as you let off CLUNK or sometimes like someone tapped your rear bumper, well i figured it out and fixed it today, now all my stops are smooth as butter. These trucks have a two piece drive shaft on the rear section if you get down and look you will see a rubber accordion looking boot with two metal bands securing it. this covers where the drive shaft is two pieces the rear one that slips inside the front one these two parts are fluted and slide together on the splines. Well i had a Chevy Z71 that had a similar set up that did the same thing. So it dawned on me this is exactly the same thing, so we pulled the back section of the shaft and removed the boot sure enough same concept as the Chevy both pieces were supposed to be greased up good so when you stop the piece slides in smoothly and when you let off brake it slides back smoothly, what i found was dry spots and even some light rust ( only 10k on truck) also you could see where the shaft was dry and trying to slide it had made ruff marks on the wide splines, so we took some emery cloth sand paper and smoothed all the roughness off and greased the heck out of all the splines with Green Grease this stuff is slick as owl shit and water proof it stays where you put it. Put shaft back together be sure to mark the two pieces so you get it back like it came apart then torque flange bolts to 85 lb and use 242 lock tight. I guarantee you this will fix that damn clunk! I hope the fix lasts a long time the Chevy did. But if you had to redo it in 20-30k its not that hard to do took about a hour and a half but now that i now exactly what to do i could do in under a hour. After my dealers remarks I did this myself as I know my work is better than what they would have done but I'm sure if you can get them to check it, warranty would cover them doing it. :smiley_thumbs_up:

In my opinion the dealers should do this under warranty. Convincing them that this is the problem is a whole different issue though.

I'm sure a lot of people on here will greatly appreciate your findings!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
So I did mine today. Like the OP said, just some light red grease but doesn't seem nearly enough. I threw a bunch of green grease in there and just from a spin around the corner, no bumps. A tech friend from FCA told me they have tried this in several RAMs with mixed results. Wonder though how much grease their are using and what type.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE! Ok after a thousand or so miles my rear clunk was starting to come back so after much research I decided to re do the job and use C5A anti seize, I cleaned all the green grease off and applied a very liberal amount of the C5a copper anti seize, I'm happy to report after 3k my clunk is still gone and everything is very smooth. Napa has the C54 or other places too.

·
Registered
229 Posts
sounds exactly like my issue. So you are basically using the copper anti-seize as a lubricant rather than grease, or lack thereof?

·
Registered
229 Posts
driveshaft pics

I posted these on another thread, but they will do more good here. These photos show the difference in the 2wd driveshaft vs the 4x4 driveshaft. You can also see the reason that you can't get a 32 gallon fuel tank on an EcoDeisel when you see where they put the DEF tank. So are all of the vibration issues from 2wd trucks?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
If that isn't your issue then it could also be the hill start assist holding on just a tad too long. You can turn it off in the Uconnect menu

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure if anyone is still dealing with this issue, but I took my truck in to my local dealer for an oil change and let them know about the issue. Without even having a tech look at my truck, they ordered a new driveshaft for my truck. After that part was installed, the issue is completely gone. All the work and parts were covered under the factory warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I made an account here specifically to thank you for this information.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Do you know the name of the tool to clamp the 2 bands that hold the accordion boot?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts