DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab. A few weeks ago while driving to work as I approached a stop light my truck started to shake violently, threw her in to netural and it stopped. Found out that the rear end had seized up and the drive shaft literally snapped the bolts off the rear end! I was very fortunate that this did not occur while driving on the highway. I have only had this truck since August of 2010, bought it new. Just wondering if anyone else out there ever exeperienced anything like this with their Ram? I contacted Chrysler and told them that I was not happy about this since the truck is less than two years old and was concerned for myself and my familys safety. Of course they offered no solution as far as vehicle replacment or really any concern for me and my family's safety, but told me that I could pursue this as a safety issue with my State Attorney General's office. Want to know if anyone ever had an issue with this and if so what was your course of action to resolve this issue, if any?:4-dontknow:
Thanks

Jimi (N.J.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I personally have not seen or heard this before... You may do an online search and see if there have been any other reports...
You should still have Power-train Warranty right? Is Dodge taking care of the repair?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Very same thing happened to me in the middle of an intersection. Had to get towed to the dealer. If you look for other posts by me I give great detail on how the whole thing happened. Apparently this is pretty common. If you have your music up it could catch you totally off guard. Music low or off and you can hear almost like an engine breaking sound before the shaft falls off. 2010 Ram rear ends have not been very reliable. If enough people complain maybe there will be a recall (which should have happened long ago).

·
Registered
257 Posts
Some Late 2010's and early 2011's came from the factory low on gear lube. There is a TSB on this I beleive. As soon as I heard this I checked mine and it was an inch below the full plug. These rearends are not as strong as my 04 was. Towing the same trailer caused my 2010 to overheat. I bought a Mag Hytec cooling diff. cover and so far all is well. ( holds 2 qts.more + a magnetic drain plug and a dip stick.)

·
Registered
55 Posts
if your rear end really did seize up as you describe then surely there was some loud bearing noise in the weeks/months prior.
or was it the yoke falling off caused by the pinion nut backing off and the diff is ok now?

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'm getting mine checked next time I take it to the dealership, which isn't often. That's my question too - if this was a pinion nut backing out, how do you diagnose if it's tight when you take it there? Did they change pinion nuts to fix this problem on trucks where it loosened up?

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Once a pinion nut has been used, they don't or are not suppose to reuse it
when a pinion seal starts leaking & is replaced, it is highly recommended that a new pinion nut be used. The nuts threads are torqued on to the pinion bearing & set the pre load on the crush sleeve & therefore the pinion gear itself.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Being ignorant myself, if I were to have my differential cover replaced with an after-market cover, could the pinion nut be checked at this time? I'm looking forward to a whole season of pulling my TT around, I'd hate like hell to have that back off running down the highway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts