DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab. A few weeks ago while driving to work as I approached a stop light my truck started to shake violently, threw her in to netural and it stopped. Found out that the rear end had seized up and the drive shaft literally snapped the bolts off the rear end! I was very fortunate that this did not occur while driving on the highway. I have only had this truck since August of 2010, bought it new. Just wondering if anyone else out there ever exeperienced anything like this with their Ram? I contacted Chrysler and told them that I was not happy about this since the truck is less than two years old and was concerned for myself and my familys safety. Of course they offered no solution as far as vehicle replacment or really any concern for me and my family's safety, but told me that I could pursue this as a safety issue with my State Attorney General's office. Want to know if anyone ever had an issue with this and if so what was your course of action to resolve this issue, if any?:4-dontknow:
Thanks

Jimi (N.J.)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Is it covered by warranty? As new as your truck is I'd think they would fix it for free.

I would say your type of failure is very rare, there is usually some kind of warning. There is a lot of things that can fail in a rear end, axles can break, gears can break, bearings can fail and lock up, seals can fail and leak all the rear grease out etc. But for a sudden failure with a newer truck, I'd say that is very rare.

I'd want a new driveshaft and a completly new rear end, and then I would feel it is safe. When I say a new rear end, I mean the housing and all the guts.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Unfortunate circumstance.

I agree with the poster above. New driveshaft and diff are a must, and Dodge should foot the bill on that.

I don't see much reason for them to replace the entire truck. That's asking quite a lot for a mechanical failure. You'd likely spend the next few years battling that out in court and very likely not like the outcome!

Contact your dealer, sounds like just a freak failure. Spider gear or something broke and locked up the ring and pinion.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
You are in a very large group of people that have had rear end issues with the 2010- 2011 rear ends
You are still within your 3 year warranty period, as long as you have not gone past the 36,000 mile point, they will take care of the rear end. If you have something like a 5 year/70,000 mile warranty they will take care of it too.

They will not get into any Safety concerns, until they are taking to court

I strongly suggest that before you reach the 3 year/ 36,000 mile point, go talk with the warranty writer in the sales dept. & purchase a Maximum Care Lifetime Warranty.

I did it, they cancel whatever warranty that you now have, figure out how much of the warranty is left, pro rate it, Then they write the new warranty & apply the old pro rated policy to the new warranty & you end up just having to pay the difference, everything is covered under the Max Care warranty, except parts that wear, like tires, belts, hoses, brake parts, etc.. When you walk out the door, you have the new coverage

G

·
I have a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab. A few weeks ago while driving to work as I approached a stop light my truck started to shake violently, threw her in to netural and it stopped. Found out that the rear end had seized up and the drive shaft literally snapped the bolts off the rear end! I was very fortunate that this did not occur while driving on the highway. I have only had this truck since August of 2010, bought it new. Just wondering if anyone else out there ever exeperienced anything like this with their Ram? I contacted Chrysler and told them that I was not happy about this since the truck is less than two years old and was concerned for myself and my familys safety. Of course they offered no solution as far as vehicle replacment or really any concern for me and my family's safety, but told me that I could pursue this as a safety issue with my State Attorney General's office. Want to know if anyone ever had an issue with this and if so what was your course of action to resolve this issue, if any?:4-dontknow:
Thanks

Jimi (N.J.)
I am currently driving my THIRD Ram truck. Two new Outdoorsman' and now a new Laramie. Dealer bought the first two back.

You may or you may not have a safety issue but having just been down this road, FIRST, call and get a claim # from Dodge. Then call
contact The National Transportation Safety Board. Tell the story - "STRESS" your concern on the safety issue. 1 888 327 4236. My trucks were "stalling" when my foot barely hit the brake. I filed a formal claim through RAM on both trucks and got a claim # then I called the NTSB this morning and they opened a claim on me. Get documentation from your dealer that you talked to them about it. I will be posting a rather long post about a so called "fix" to run away engines dating back to Toyota's which now are affecting Dodge's. WE are being lied to about this. If you feel strong enough about this - pursue it. "I" am!!!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
You are in a very large group of people that have had rear end issues with the 2010- 2011 rear ends
You are still within your 3 year warranty period, as long as you have not gone past the 36,000 mile point, they will take care of the rear end. If you have something like a 5 year/70,000 mile warranty they will take care of it too.

They will not get into any Safety concerns, until they are taking to court

I strongly suggest that before you reach the 3 year/ 36,000 mile point, go talk with the warranty writer in the sales dept. & purchase a Maximum Care Lifetime Warranty.

I did it, they cancel whatever warranty that you now have, figure out how much of the warranty is left, pro rate it, Then they write the new warranty & apply the old pro rated policy to the new warranty & you end up just having to pay the difference, everything is covered under the Max Care warranty, except parts that wear, like tires, belts, hoses, brake parts, etc.. When you walk out the door, you have the new coverage
is it only in the 2010-2011 rear ends??? what changed after 09? was not so happy reading about this problem. most posts i read about this problem is from guys with 2010 trucks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts