DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I have humming, whomp-whomp sort of a whine noise that seems to be coming from the rear end. It sounds a lot like tire humming noise, but my BF Goodrich All Terrain K02 have never made that much noise and they were new last November.

I have now realized that it occurs under load. So when I left off the gas it sort of goes away and any little bit of gas given again brings the noise back. You can start to hear it around 18 mph up to any speed. It's also there on any surface so I have totally ruled out tire noise/chop.

So would this be pinion or carrier bearing? Or something else? This truck has a 3:92 rear end. Some travel trailer towing was done in its early life (I've had since new) but maybe only 5 or 6 six times and then I sold the trailer.

Truck has 90K miles, rear end fluid has not been changed yet.

·
Registered
187 Posts
"I have now realized that it occurs under load. So when I left off the gas it sort of goes away and any little bit of gas given again brings the noise back. You can start to hear it around 18 mph up to any speed. It's also there on any surface so I have totally ruled out tire noise/chop."

You are not going to want to hear this, but This is the symptom of gear whine when either the hardening has gone from the tooth surface, or the pinion bearings are going out. Surgery im afraid.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
My dad had his pinion bearing go at 115k; you gotta change your diff oil

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Just an update.
Rear end noise started to get excessively worse, where it sounded like the pinion nut was loosing up. So I took it to my local mechanic, I like to stay from the "stealerships" once the warranty is up.

He said the pinion nut seemed OK but took it out for a test drive. On that test drive the main differential carrier bearing went out on him and he had to drive it back in 4wd.

He opened the cover and showed me the problem, along with a few parts from the blown apart bearing sitting at the bottom of the diff in the oil. The oil was pretty dark so indeed it was time for a change.

Hard to believe that those bearings would only go 90k miles with very little towing. She is in for major surgery now...:doh:

I would also like to mention that this truck always exhibited the symptoms of the mysterious "thump - push" when the truck was slowing down, like form 2nd to 1st, especially if it was driving for long distances on the interstate. Wondering if this had to do with it. just a thought for others with the "thump"

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I think it has to do with going 90k miles on the original lubricant

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
While the Rear end is being rebuilt, you ought to change the 2 filters in your Transmission
It is due for servicing either now or in 10,000 miles, i forget which

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
120k is the interval for the transmission, or 60k for severe service

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it has to do with going 90k miles on the original lubricant
I'm not sure that it does. The service intervals from Ram says to change the diff fluid every 20k miles for "frequent towing, off-road, taxi, fleet or police use"

This truck towed a travel trailer literally 5 times in its service life and distances of less than 2 hours from home...

I believe the culprit is weak components and general lack of quality from Ram truck rear ends. They have had known rear end weakness issues for years

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
So you think you never have to change it if you don't tow? The bearings need lubrication. If these were a weak rear end Chrysler wouldn't still be using it-it was introduced in the 70s

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
When the 2011 Ram model year came out, they had the new ZF rear end
In that year they put the fill plug too low in the pumpkin housing
A recall was done & they came out with a pumpkin cover that had the fill hole at the correct level, which allowed the wheel bearings to be bathed in oil when the vehicle was on fairly level ground.

If there is fluid in the differential pumpkin, the rotating ring gear will sling oil onto everything in the pumpkin.
If the fluid level is too low inside of the pumpkin, the oil won't travel down the axle tubes to get to the wheel/axle bearings

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree with the idea of changing the rear end lube.The OEM stuff gets thick like tar, don't know why , but you're better off draining the stuff every couple of years.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So you think you never have to change it if you don't tow? The bearings need lubrication. If these were a weak rear end Chrysler wouldn't still be using it-it was introduced in the 70s
No it should be changed, at the interval set by Chrysler/Fiat, which I believe was at 120k miles ...I was only at 90k miles.

I'm saying I don't think the fluid change was the reason for the failure. I do have a file open with Chrysler, will see what they say, I don't expect much being out of warranty.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
The manual just says chck the axle every 20k. I don't remember seeing an axle service interval for regular use, at least in the 13 version. Transfer case and transmission are listed at 120k

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As an update, the garage I went to installed an aftermarket Dana rear end to keep cost down. I have had it back to the shop a couple times for a continued whining noise that seems to get worse as i add miles on the truck. Each time they reset the gear mesh.

The last time the whining got really bad, almost a rubbing grinding noise. The garage now says that the gear mesh just doesn't line up properly and that I need to replace it with an OEM Chrysler rear end, to the tune of an extra $650, I've already spent close to $3k CAD...

Does this make sense? Why would an aftermarket Dana rear end not work?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
So they put like a Dana 60 in your truck? Those are pretty reputable rears-they may be a little weaker than a 9.25

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Dana 60 is a very very strong rearend, much stronger than the 9.25 rear.

I would say the shop didn't do something correctly.

Personally, I would have went with a used rear assembly out of a junkyard from the start.
But now I don't know what to tell you, if you want it just fixed do a junkyard rear, if you want to make the shop do what is right you will most likely end up in court IF they won't take care of it.

Wouldn't the aftermarket rear have a warranty????

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dana 60 is a very very strong rearend, much stronger than the 9.25 rear.

I would say the shop didn't do something correctly.

Personally, I would have went with a used rear assembly out of a junkyard from the start.
But now I don't know what to tell you, if you want it just fixed do a junkyard rear, if you want to make the shop do what is right you will most likely end up in court IF they won't take care of it.

Wouldn't the aftermarket rear have a warranty????
Yeah the aftermarket has a warranty and they can replace it at no charge, but they said if it doesn't fix the issue and they have to go in there again or eventually replace it with an OEM one, then they will be charging me. I'm sure they are tired of going in there at no charge and replacing fluid, but I agree I think they did something wrong the first time...

Not many used rear ends around these parts, I would have had to find one someplace else and ship it here. Always feel like I'm rolling the dice on used...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Like others have said, the shop didn't do something correctly when they went through it. I would buy a used read end, I'm guessing you have millions of tiny metal pieces in the wheel bearings now, and your troubles are about to accelerate.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts