DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my dad's got an 04 1500 with a 3.55 posi rear end. Pulled the cover off yesterday to change the oil and i noticed there's a couple of c-shaped retainers about and inch long with tabs on the ends. They're on the right side and run along the carrier bearing cap. They sit inside the carrier. There's two of them and i noticed the tabs on the inside of them are both broken off. Anyone know what these are or had this problem? Also, do you now where i can get an online parts diagram.

Thanks in advance

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
Hey guys, my dad's got an 04 1500 with a 3.55 posi rear end. Pulled the cover off yesterday to change the oil and i noticed there's a couple of c-shaped retainers about and inch long with tabs on the ends. They're on the right side and run along the carrier bearing cap. They sit inside the carrier. There's two of them and i noticed the tabs on the inside of them are both broken off. Anyone know what these are or had this problem? Also, do you now where i can get an online parts diagram.

Thanks in advance
Ah, the dreaded C-clips
and yes:
http://www.berrysprinter.com/e-Fiche/Model Years/CD4/02-05/04dr.PDF

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
C clips don't break often, but once is too many
some companies make C clip eliminators, i don't think you would need them, unless you raced the vehicle often

This is just of the complaints that were filed about C clips

From 2002 to 2005 dodge ram 1500 pickups fitted with a 9.25" corporate rear end differential complete with lsd. "c clips" which locate the clutch packs within the lsd, over time, slip out of place causing major damage to the carrier bearings usually leading up to a complete replacement of the entire axle assembly. Also, these clips can and do, foul the differential causing catastrophic damage to the ring and pinion gears etc ultimately leading to the locking of both wheels as the vehicle is moving. The potential for both wheels to suddenly become locked whilst at speed/moving in the truck, is lethal.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I imagine to put in new clips you'd have to take the whole diff apart. Anybody replaced these? Just looked for about twenty minutes and found plenty of people with the same problem. Guess I'll have to check my diff out. Its got twice as many kms as dads. Dad's has 77xxx kms on it and has been babied its whole life, can't figure out why these would break on his.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts