DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently hearing a humming or droning sound coming from the rear of my truck. Took it to the dealer for an oil change and tire rotation and had them look at this as well. Next day, I get a call saying they have to rebuild the entire rear end. I am at 145k miles. Is this to be expected? Anyone else have problems like this?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
Hopefully it is just the PINION GEAR or just the axle bearings

I had the 2009 Ram with the AAM rear end, they had an issue with the Pinion Seal going bad & when they go bad, the fluid seeps out of the rear end. If it is not caught in time, the axle seals are not lubricated, so they get scored from lack of fluid, then where the Pinion gear contacts the Ring Gear, the contact places turn Blue & both parts get heat cracks & then start shattering

Your Ram has the ZF rear end, they started using them in 2011
Check to see what your POWERTRAIN Warranty is, it could be 5 years or X amount of miles
It is different from the Bumper to Bumper Factory Warranty

Further more if you are out of any kind of warranty, the dealerships are not the only place in town to find a good quality repair shop

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully it is just the PINION GEAR or just the axle bearings

I had the 2009 Ram with the AAM rear end, they had an issue with the Pinion Seal going bad & when they go bad, the fluid seeps out of the rear end. If it is not caught in time, the axle seals are not lubricated, so they get scored from lack of fluid, then where the Pinion gear contacts the Ring Gear, the contact places turn Blue & both parts get heat cracks & then start shattering

Your Ram has the ZF rear end, they started using them in 2011
Check to see what your POWERTRAIN Warranty is, it could be 5 years or X amount of miles
It is different from the Bumper to Bumper Factory Warranty

Further more if you are out of any kind of warranty, the dealerships are not the only place in town to find a good quality repair shop
All warranties are out, however, when I bought the truck I bought the Max Care plan from Mopar so they fixed the truck this time and for a couple of other things before for just the deductible amount. Just wondering if this is a common issue.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Most will go further but it's not unheard of. Was the lube ever changed? Was it low? Proper lubrication makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most will go further but it's not unheard of. Was the lube ever changed? Was it low? Proper lubrication makes a world of difference.
I'd have to check my receipts from the dealer. I get an interval service every 30,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Dad just had his rebuilt at 116,000 miles, but he never changed the oil

·
Registered
2014 Ram 1500 Express 5.7 8Spd
161 Posts
apparently 140 is all the zf is good for, sorry to revive a dead thread but im having the same drone hum on mine and i service the diffs on time every time, but the timing is good cause i was just planning on going to a larger tire and wanted to swap from the 3.21 to 3.55 anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts