DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Newby here, with a question I hope someone has a solution for: The rear fold-down floor in my 2018 Big Horn has the dual cup holders, great for humans, but a bit of a hazard for my two dogs when riding in the back. Is there a factory or aftermarket "plug" that would keep paws from stepping into the cup holder holes? There are plenty of deer to bark at on either side of the country roads I travel, which means the pups are going from rear window to rear window, and I really don't want to see them injure a foot or leg.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I loved my fold flat rear floor for the dog, but that cup holder was always an issue. I balled up a couple old black socks and wedged them in there to fill the gap. It worked for a while, until I saw the dog playing with them while I was driving. I never found a great solution, but didn't look that hard as the dog was only in there occasionally. That the one thing I miss and don't like about this new Mega Cab is the way the back seat folds down instead of the nice flat platform.

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
I loved my fold flat rear floor for the dog, but that cup holder was always an issue. I balled up a couple old black socks and wedged them in there to fill the gap. It worked for a while, until I saw the dog playing with them while I was driving. I never found a great solution, but didn't look that hard as the dog was only in there occasionally. That the one thing I miss and don't like about this new Mega Cab is the way the back seat folds down instead of the nice flat platform.
It took me a while to figure out that the seats in the mega cab can fold down two different ways. Once I figured out the second method, I thought the flat area was actually better than my crew cab.

But yea, I can see the cup holders in the crew cabs being problematic for dogs. Maybe cut a piece of plywood formfitting the area, wrap it in some speaker box carpet or similar product for a quick insert piece?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe cut a piece of plywood formfitting the area, wrap it in some speaker box carpet or similar product for a quick insert piece?
Yeah, that's what I'll end up doing if there are no factory or professional after-market parts that do this.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
118 Posts
It took me a while to figure out that the seats in the mega cab can fold down two different ways. Once I figured out the second method, I thought the flat area was actually better than my crew cab.

Yeah, I'm getting used to it. But they don't fit without the headrest hitting the front seats or moving the front seats, just seems like it's is always an effort. Also, not sure on yours, but mine you have to pull hard on the lever to get the seat to release, I'm afraid of breaking the plastic handle. I think it's just something I'll need to get used to.

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
Yeah, I'm getting used to it. But they don't fit without the headrest hitting the front seats or moving the front seats, just seems like it's is always an effort. Also, not sure on yours, but mine you have to pull hard on the lever to get the seat to release, I'm afraid of breaking the plastic handle. I think it's just something I'll need to get used to.
Agree 100%, it is more of a hassle and you see how I had to remove the headrests, which when doing so the first time I managed to slice my finger open somehow. I actually went in to the dealership thinking the seats were broken, or I was going to break the lever trying to fold them down. I learned that I have to release the bottom cushion first and then lower the seat back. Of course after removing the headrests lol.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I've seen some guys make wood plugs for theirs; I use aerosol can caps

·
Registered
125 Posts
Exactly how dumb are your dogs? Dogs are pretty adept at walking around through just about anything, cup holders should not pose a problem.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Exactly how dumb are your dogs? Dogs are pretty adept at walking around through just about anything, cup holders should not pose a problem.

I don't just throw my dogs in the back of the truck with the fold flat floor down, I usually put blankets over it if not a pad/bed. That covers up the cupholder but they'll sink into it through the blanket

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
When dogs get wound up, they are only wanting to see the cat or another dog or a bird,
they don't even think to look for sure footing
As i was driving through Tennessee a couple of weeks ago, i watch as 2 dogs that were riding in the bed of a truck jumped out, rolled & ran right across 4 lanes of traffic
The driver was equally as dumb, he slid to a Stop & ran into traffic after them, the truck was in the number 3 lane.
I avoided them & warned truckers on the CB Radio
Hope that everything turned out OK, i was not about to stop

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Exactly how dumb are your dogs?
Really? I asked what I thought was a sensible question and this is a reply I get?
Joined today, and leaving today. For those that tried to answer, thanks. I won't write what I'm thinking of the "senior member" that posted that comment. Enjoy your forum.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Really? I asked what I thought was a sensible question and this is a reply I get?
Joined today, and leaving today. For those that tried to answer, thanks. I won't write what I'm thinking of the "senior member" that posted that comment. Enjoy your forum.

One negative comment amidst all the ones that actually answer the question is enough for you to leave forever? If that's your threshold then you may have a difficult time finding a board you're willing to stick with; there's a lot of good info here and I think you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater

Reactions: John Jensen

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree, don't let one negative comment ruin the whole forum. I have yet to participate in any forum where there wasn't at least one negative response to even the most benign post. ("I donated my old Ram to an orphanage, and now I'm in the market for a new one, any suggestions?" Answer: "Donating to an orphanage just enables laziness, make those orphans work to earn a Ram of their own!"
?
Maybe he was kidding, dogs can be dumb. Mine is! ?
What I want to know is, does the back seat of my '11 Sport Quad cab fold down like the one in the pic??? All these years I've searched for a lever or something, to no avail. I've had the truck for 6.5 years, and if all this time there was a way to fold down that back seat, I am a lot dumber than your dogs!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Exactly how dumb are your dogs?
What makes that guy a “senior member” anyway? It says he joined the forum in May of this year. Is he just old?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
What makes that guy a “senior member” anyway? It says he joined the forum in May of this year. Is he just old?

It just means you've been here over 60 days and have 100 posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I agree, don't let one negative comment ruin the whole forum. I have yet to participate in any forum where there wasn't at least one negative response to even the most benign post. ("I donated my old Ram to an orphanage, and now I'm in the market for a new one, any suggestions?" Answer: "Donating to an orphanage just enables laziness, make those orphans work to earn a Ram of their own!"
?
Maybe he was kidding, dogs can be dumb. Mine is! ?
What I want to know is, does the back seat of my '11 Sport Quad cab fold down like the one in the pic??? All these years I've searched for a lever or something, to no avail. I've had the truck for 6.5 years, and if all this time there was a way to fold down that back seat, I am a lot dumber than your dogs!!
Only the mega cab seats fold down like that.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I too throw a "rug/blanket" down when throwing the dog in the back. So far seems to work alright for me. But then again she is all of 14 pounds.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts