DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the site. Does anyone know what the problem is here with this rear hub. 2017 ram sport 1500 20000 km. Trying to deal with the dealership over warranty and dont want to get walked on. I was driving and noticed a metralic sound I went under the truck and seen this. Photo below. What is the problem, any suggestions how it happened. I have only ever towed my 1800 lb boat. Is this covered under warranty? Thanks for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. What os ot that os broke the hun?? The dealership service repa were asking me if i tow a trailer or hit any big bumps as they said the overloads showed signs it was over loaded based on their positions. I have only ever towed my boat which is 1800lbs. which I found strange they were askong. Seemed like they were fishing for a reason not to cover it as they said it most likely wont be covered and the service manager will make the final decision.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Not sure how overloading could break that even if you were.

It isn't even really the hub, but rather the bracket that holds the caliper and e brakes connection.

And other than a direct strike on that part, I just don't see how you could damage it.

If they give you too hard of a time, say, well since it is the part that holds the brake caliper on that maybe I should report this failure to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/recalls-explained-how-the-government-forces-automakers-to-fix-things

Do it as a last resort though, not as a first strike - you get further with sugar vs. vinegar.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your help I appreciate it. Unfortunately I am in canada but we have an organization that is similar I beleive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it does, its definetly in that area. So do you think its something to do with the parking brake?

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
It is part of the parking brake assembly, but I can't see how it could break from using the parking brake.
Had to be a casting flaw or was hit or someone jacked the vehicle up using it, etc.

Only thing that stinks is, it is labor intensive to change it out. Have to remove the tire, brake components, rotor, ebrake, rear diff. cover and the axle on that side (there is no hub).

If they refuse to replace it, you could always buy it online and take it to the shop of your choice too.

"the overloads showed signs it was over loaded based on their positions."
I have never heard of "overloads" Maybe something new? Make them show you them and "their positions"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. They are the yellow runner “balls” that keep the truck bed from hitting the frame i beleive. I don’t see how they have anything to do with the caliper breaking.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Do you use the parking brake on a regular basis? Push it hard? It looks like that was what broke it, but should not happen. I would get some good clear pictures of the whole area in case the dealer tries to plant some 'stress marks" on the part. I would also give them heck if they try to say NO brake parts are covered just because pads and rotors are normal wear items.
Best of luck, should be warranty if a jack was not placed under that part.

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
Do you use the parking brake on a regular basis? Push it hard? It looks like that was what broke it, but should not happen. I would get some good clear pictures of the whole area in case the dealer tries to plant some 'stress marks" on the part. I would also give them heck if they try to say NO brake parts are covered just because pads and rotors are normal wear items.
Best of luck, should be warranty if a jack was not placed under that part.

I've been kicking my parking brake to the floor every time I park for the past 5 years-that shouldn't do it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts