DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a catastrophic failure of the rear main seal while driving? I know theyre semi-easy to change, but I'm hopeing to wait until after my road trip to vegas and back to do this.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Anyone have a catastrophic failure of the rear main seal while driving? I know theyre semi-easy to change, but I'm hopeing to wait until after my road trip to vegas and back to do this.
No, actually the rear main seal is a positive seal which is good. The rear main seal is much like the one found on the older GM blocks, oil pressure from the pump builds up behind the inner lip seal to keep the seal firmly applied on the crank! and they're extremely easy to replace my in experience. Personally I would replace the seal before my trip because it would suck for it to fail in the middle of the desert or anywhere because it usually cost 500 bucks to fix it at a mechanics were it only cost about 100 bucks and 3 hours labor in your driveway!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, I changed it about 15 years ago and it wasn't a huge hassel if I remember correctly. I think I was looking for excuses to not change it. I snugged up the pan bolts and wiped everything down. The rear seal remained dry. After driving a while I noticed oil running down the right rear of the block. I'm checking the oil sending unit today.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts