DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2016 Ram Laramie with a power sliding rear window - and I realized that it does not have a rear defroster. My dealer says that they cannot install......I wonder how they would repair / replace if one got damaged?!

I would gladly buy a new rear window setup just to have the defroster. I would assume that the wiring is already in place back there.........????

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
Welcome to the Ram Forum " Z " Family vjb :wavey:

Congrats on Your Laramie :smileup:

Great Question !

I have an idea, however I just might be 20yrs late :str:

THANK YOU for becoming a site supporter :)

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,461 Posts
I just bought a 2016 Ram Laramie with a power sliding rear window - and I realized that it does not have a rear defroster. My dealer says that they cannot install......I wonder how they would repair / replace if one got damaged?!

I would gladly buy a new rear window setup just to have the defroster. I would assume that the wiring is already in place back there.........????
There were some posts on here about that. I believe there is a connector on the driver side panel next to the back seat. But nobody posted that actually did it and what was involved. I wanted it also for my Laramie but in 3 years of ownership the back window has never fogged up.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I am on my 3rd back window. First one was damaged in a accident, second one was damaged by person putting in the tint-nicked one of wires so slider wouldn't defrost and now its on its third.

Up here the windows are around $800 so that was a expensive ooops for the tint guy.

I know mine had the option already so yes it is plugged into the connector on drivers side. Not sure if your vehicle has the plug in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't imagine that there is not a connector for a rear defroster in every RAM. A special wiring harness for one option would be too expensive! ? I am wondering what the repair shops (dealer) do if someone accidently breaks the wires. New windows or replace the wiring? Doesn't the wiring attach to the window similar to a pinstripe - adhesive with a backing?

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
I can't imagine that there is not a connector for a rear defroster in every RAM. A special wiring harness for one option would be too expensive! ? I am wondering what the repair shops (dealer) do if someone accidently breaks the wires. New windows or replace the wiring? Doesn't the wiring attach to the window similar to a pinstripe - adhesive with a backing?
Broken wire means new window can't be repaired.

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
I would think the Laramie would already have the connector as we have heated mirrors and the defrost button. The other trims probably not. Unless they have the heated mirror option.

·
Registered
815 Posts
There were some posts on here about that. I believe there is a connector on the driver side panel next to the back seat. But nobody posted that actually did it and what was involved. I wanted it also for my Laramie but in 3 years of ownership the back window has never fogged up.
Me too I have never had a rear fogged up window , mine has it But ive never used it .. and tjanks for being a site supporter

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had the rear defroster on my 13 Ram 2500 Mega Cab. I had a little bit of fogging up every once and awhile, but nothing that made me need it. My 16 Ram 2500 crew doesn't have rear window defroster. I'm not sweating it and besides, I like that there is less frame blockage without the defroster option.

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
If I'd have ordered I'd have probably got it, but my back window has only ever fogged up once and I just slid it open until it unfogged; the back headrests block most of the side 1/3 sections anyway. I don't think its worth the money even tough its just a $150 option but YMMV

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
tell you the truth my 2013 express has fixed window dont open like you guys or the sport i live in nyc winters get cold mine never fogged up that i remember so i whould think you really dont need it like thunder said at least you can open back window open.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Keep us updated... I have the same issue.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Hard to open the back window when there is 2" of ice on it. Turn on the defrost and let it soften up before removing it.:LOL:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can buy a new power rear window with a defroster - but I wouldn't want to guess whether or not it had the proper wiring. How can I ask a 'Ram Technician' in here?

Thank you all for responding!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts