DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my trucks rearend is going out. im lookin to buy a used one but not sure what will work on what, i got a 2000 model 4x4 with 3.55 gears. will any year model 94-01 work for this truck? will a rearend out of a 2wd work, just dont wanna find out the hardway it wont work. :4-dontknow:

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
If you're looking for an exact fit, then it's '00 and '01 3:55 with the 9.25 ring gear (4x4). I've probably sold 25-30 4x2 rears with 3:55 ratio for the 4x4. I've never had one come back because it didn't fit or work.

The difference between 94-99 is the brake shoes and the abs plug.

That being said I know from personal knowledge that 94-01 will bolt right in and send you down the road without a problem. Most used parts yards will tell you what they're computer says. But the computer is only as smart as the person that enters the information, and they've never touched a wrench.

So to sum it up, 94-01 4x4 and 4x2 as long as they both have staggered shocks.

You can get a good look at a side of beef by sticking your head up a cow's butt, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word on it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i found a used one out of a 97 model 2wd 3.55. as far as the ABS plug goes is there any way to rig it to where itll work? if the only difference is the plug you think i could just splice the wires and go that route?

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
Absolutely I've only seen one that had to have the plug changed...out of an early '94. Every one else has just been an r & r. Just remember or write the year and rear on your option tag for when you replace the brake shoes.

The other thing is that your rear will no longer have the clutches in it. But as I said it'll work fine. It was a design change that worked fine for five years, until it was changed in '00.

I try to put things into perspective with analogies. It's like the engine block (5.2) that's supposed to be the same from '94 - '01. But the oil pump is the same from the late 1960's.

So it's like changing from sneakers to work boots. Either will work and fit just fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you're looking for an exact fit, then it's '00 and '01 3:55 with the 9.25 ring gear (4x4). I've probably sold 25-30 4x2 rears with 3:55 ratio for the 4x4. I've never had one come back because it didn't fit or work.

That being said I know from personal knowledge that 94-01 will bolt right in and send you down the road without a problem. Most used parts yards will tell you what they're computer says. But the computer is only as smart as the person that enters the information, and they've never touched a wrench.

You can get a good look at a side of beef by sticking your head up a cow's butt, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word on it?
How are you I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 (8)eight lugs with the drum breaks ... used my truck to rescue folks during hurricane Dorian in the Bahama and my rear end locked up on me . Saw you post and just wants to make sure even though you typed here that I can use any rear end for a 2500 dodge 4x4 That’s is from 94-01 which are compatible [email protected] need help finding one I can get it shipped from the U.S Bahamas easy just hard to find can you assist me please!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Post is from Dec 13, 2011, there are two versions of the 2500 a 8800 and a 7500 gvwr. You also need to know the gear ratio.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Does anyone know if The rear disc brake components off of my 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 will bolt onto a rearend out of a 98 Dodge Ram 2500

1 - 8 of 8 Posts