DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2015 3500 Laramie Mega Cab SRW, 6.7L Cummins w/ Aisin trans, auto level air rear suspension
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past winter was the 2nd winter that I have had my '15 3500 Mega cab Laramie. Each winter so far the camera has went to a foggy picture after the first few snowstorms and/or rain events. It stays like this all winter and into the spring but, last year it cleared up after it started to warm up on a fairly consistent basis, this year not so much. It is still foggy in the picture on the touch screen. I contacted the dealer and the service advisor told me that the factory had figured out the problem with the cameras and had remedied it. I could have a new and updated camera installed in the tailgate for the low low price of $400 in parts plus labor to R&R.
I was wondering if anybody has had this problem remedied with a new and updated camera. Also, if you have had it done, did the dealer install or did you do it yourself?

Thanks for your time and answers,

Troy

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had similar issues (different vehicle) in the past. No issues when I was able to keep the vehicle garaged, but not always feasible. My fix was to remove camera assembly, use clear 100% silicone sealant around camera/mount base, then reinstall. Works good, lasts long time.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would've done the same thing as BojiHawk - remove the camera, and silicone it all around to stop the moisture from getting in. If it's a sealed unit with a crack somewhere, leave it on a sun in a dry warm place to let all the condensation dry out, then seal it. $400 for a camera that should have been recalled it taking a piss out of customers.

·
Registered
2015 3500 Laramie Mega Cab SRW, 6.7L Cummins w/ Aisin trans, auto level air rear suspension
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to you both. I was thinking of doing that as well. Taking the camera out of the tailgate and using silicone to try and seal up the housing to keep the moisture out. I have been trying to park it in the sun and to get as much warmth to it as possible, to try and dry it out. I will post my solution and results soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts