DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, first post here. I've been lurking since I picked up my Express back in late April.

One thing that I went without that I wish that I didn't settle for was the anti spin / limited slip rear diff. If I remember right, it was a $300 or so option when new. I did however get the 3.92 rear.

Well, I tow a 5000~ish lb enclosed trailer with the truck on the weekends for motocross racing. As you can imagine, the parking areas are not improved roads and are typically muddy. I found that an open rear diff and the 20" Goodyear SR-A's absolutely stink in any type of mud, even in 4x4 with the traction control disabled.

So, I started looking into what it would take to upgrade. Lots of searching on this board helped. But I did a little more research and here is the summary for anyone else that might be in the same boat.

1. From what I have read on the ol' interweb, (and I am going to assume that it is true until I can see exploded views that compare the pre-2010 and 2011-2014 9.25 axles) that the center sections (ring gear bolt diameter) and axle shaft (length) changed in 2011 with the adoption of a ZF centersection.

2. After searching, I wasn't sure if a lunchbox limited slip (example: powertrax no spin) would fit as it did not require a carrier replacement. For what I do with the truck, I had no concerns about this type of limited slip in terms of durability. Here is the response from Richmond:

My question:
I would like to know if PN 92-0392-3105 will fit in the 2014 (Dodge) Ram 1500 rear 9.25" axle.
My understanding is that Chrysler changed the axle design of the 9.25" starting in model year 2011 to include a ZF centersection and different axle lengths.
Can you confirm if 92-0392-3105 will fit in the 2011-2014 rear 9.25" for the Ram 1500 trucks?
Richmond Response:
The 9203923105 for the 9.25 Chrysler diff will not fit into 2011-2014 9.25 as it is different.
My Response:
Thanks Johnny. Do you have any plans to offer a part for the 2011 and up trucks?
Richmond Response:
We are always looking at applications we do not have but nothing in the works right now.

3. I called the dealership where I bought the truck and talked to the parts department. Really nice guy. He didn't know the answer but promised to call me back, and he did. I've installed a few posi's, lockers and gearsets in the past (GM 10 bolt, Ford 8.8, GM 14 bolt), so I figured worst case, I can save the labor. Still looking at $1000 for parts. Breakdown from the dealer is:
Total: $1500
Diff assembly: 775
Bearings: $70
Lube: $100
Gaskets: $65
Labor: $500

4. Still not satisfied, I checked local salvage yards. I figured that I can swap the entire axle cheaper than $1500. Well, not going to happen. Close though, they range between $1600 for a higher mileage to $3000 for an almost new axle assembly, and most of the yards can't confirm gear ratio or open / limited slip rear.

So there it is. If you are going to buy one of these and plan on putting any of the 395 horses to the ground, get the limited slip.

I am going to get some towhooks in the meantime....

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2 quick follow ups....

1. Thanks for referring to me as a "newcomer" and not a newbie, I hate when boards do that.

2. why the heck can't the folks at Ram make a bumper filler panel for the Express that can fit tow hooks? UGGHHH?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I agree. I had it on my 09 CC 2wd with 3.92's and my 13 CC 4x4 with 3.55's and loved javing it so it was one of the 1st things on my list of must have options when I got my 14 along with a 3.92 since the 3.55's were a bad decision and I had already planned on a lift and 35's this time.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I wonder if thats the same as our OE LSD unit,
if Auburn is the OE supplier too ?

IMO the LSD should be STANDARD EQUIPMENT on ALL Rams !

·
Registered
185 Posts
IMO the LSD should be STANDARD EQUIPMENT on ALL Rams !
There are reasons not to have a limited slip differential. It's not just cost either, there's increased maintenance and there are minor effects when cornering. My truck has one and I want it that way, but for a truck that's used on the street mostly, there's really no reason for it unless there's snow on the ground.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I honestly thought my Ram had the LSD all winter; and it will leave 2 black strips on pavement when the need arises...didn't realize it didn't till I was under there looking at the tag. That being said I think tires will have a greater impact on a 4x4 than the LSD.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
hodor, I agree 100%.
I got the tow package and made the stupid mistake of assuming that the truck had a limited slip. I have 3.21 gears, which without limited slip is probably a better option. Entering traffic at any angle with wet pavement can be an interesting proposition without limited slip. I also called the dealer and priced out the LS rear as an add on and was quoted about $800 for parts, which makes it a bit steep on a lease truck.

When I completed my Ram survey they sent me, I said that every Ram should come standard with the LS rear end and make it an option NOT to have it. 395 hp and 400+ tq is tough to manage with only one wheel when you really need it. I do have 4x4, but I'm a bit nervous when the snow comes how this is going to handle compared to my 05 Durango I traded in- that was an absolute beast in the snow and was never stuck or unstable.

relic, without a LSD I leave a one tire fire, I'm not sure how you manage not to with a standard diff.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I like the LSD and made sure I got it. It does work well in snow.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I wish I had it.my Chevy had it and it was really good. I have a 13 Durango awd and we had allot of snow last year and it did fine. I think this truck will do ok. The tires don't look like much though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
hodor, I agree 100%.
I got the tow package and made the stupid mistake of assuming that the truck had a limited slip. I have 3.21 gears, which without limited slip is probably a better option. Entering traffic at any angle with wet pavement can be an interesting proposition without limited slip. I also called the dealer and priced out the LS rear as an add on and was quoted about $800 for parts, which makes it a bit steep on a lease truck.

When I completed my Ram survey they sent me, I said that every Ram should come standard with the LS rear end and make it an option NOT to have it. 395 hp and 400+ tq is tough to manage with only one wheel when you really need it. I do have 4x4, but I'm a bit nervous when the snow comes how this is going to handle compared to my 05 Durango I traded in- that was an absolute beast in the snow and was never stuck or unstable.

relic, without a LSD I leave a one tire fire, I'm not sure how you manage not to with a standard diff.

It is ironic you mentioned this during the survey as this is exactly what I told the local dealership when I was long around. I had a conversation with the dealerships owners son as I know them and asked why in the world would anyone that has a choice on a 2wd truck not order them all with limited slip? My thinking exactly as your on the wet roads but also for the people that two campers etc. pull them in areas that Mage wet slopes in grass or a little mud and it can be a challenge for sure. I agree, they all should come standard on 2wd for sure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I honestly thought my Ram had the LSD all winter; and it will leave 2 black strips on pavement when the need arises...didn't realize it didn't till I was under there looking at the tag. That being said I think tires will have a greater impact on a 4x4 than the LSD.
More aggressive tread would sure help. But only to an extent. For the majority of driving that I do the sr-a is a great compromise. Good road manners and low rolling resistance for great fuel economy. When I tow, 250 miles of the drive is on the highway. Only the last quarter mile is in the dirt or mud. Id hate to drop a bunch of money on a more aggressive tire for that last little bit of driving.

Thanks for all the replies. I may look into that auburn unit. Although I installed one in an old GM b body 10 bolt rear. It worked ok at first, after time it lost all of its effectiveness and it was not rebuild able.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I felt exactly the same way about having a limited slip differential. I have had 4X4 trucks for the past 18 years and also made sure that I had LSD on those. When I traded for a 4X2 a couple of months ago, when I did my internet searches for trucks, I ruled out every single one that did not have LSD even if it had every other option that I wanted. We used to call them "one wheel wonder" when I was younger.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I agree, i wouldnt own a truck without a LSD rear diff... thats a deal breaker for me too...!!!
Thats like going to a HOEHOUSE without a condom...lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Having a LSD is the reason I went with the outdoorsman. When I looked around and asked question I could have had it for an $800 option but that would have delayed delivery. I'm still uncertain what type of LSD ram uses in the 2014's, dealership said Torsen but couldn't find anything to confirm that.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Limited slip is a no brainer for me and the winter conditions I live in. A local dealer that I did not buy from told me they never order LS on any truck as an option as it is redundant due to standard traction control system. I laughed and told him he should ask his shop mechanic how these systems work. The other dealer further up the road orders LS all the time for stock and customer trucks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
This was requirement of mine when I ordered. It helps keep the Eco diesel torque on the ground when the turbo kicks in. Even on dry pavement, when accelerating fast from a stop while turning, it prevents the inside wheel slip very nicely. Can't wait to use this and 4x4 at first snow fall. I know it won't compare to our acura mdx though. It redirects torque to any one wheel in an instant, and will even kick in to facilitate a power turn. I know the truck won't do that.

·
Registered
755 Posts
There are reasons not to have a limited slip differential. It's not just cost either, there's increased maintenance and there are minor effects when cornering. My truck has one and I want it that way, but for a truck that's used on the street mostly, there's really no reason for it unless there's snow on the ground.
Just snow? Drive much on ramps onto and off of 285 and the Connector in the rain? Or any road paved in the last year when wet. Not having a limited slip and 400 lb/ft is asking to spin a tire. In 15 years of owning a couple different limited slips there was NO maintenance difference between the limited and non rear ends, same duration for the gear oil and the cost difference was tiny on one truck and zero on the other.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have a limited slip and wouldn't have a truck without one. With that being said they do have a down side. Anytime it's very slippery and there is camber to the road you can lose lateral traction much easier than an open diff.

For example, if you are driving straight and hit black ice both rear tires can very quickly start spinning. If there is a crown to the road your rear end will quickly become your front end. This is one situation where an open diff is technically safer since one wheel should maintain a higher degree of lateral traction keeping the rear end tracking straight.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts