DODGE RAM FORUM banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Hodor, I just wanted to point out that had you placed the jack stands under the frame instead of the rear axle, the track bar would not have been an issue.
Tried that couldn't really find a place that seemed suitable for stands. I also wanted to get the rear tires off the ground.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
hodor, how are you liking the Aurburn LSD you installed on your ram, how is it working.
Night and day compared to before. The problem that I have now is the non defeatable stability control. Snowed about 8 in this week, didn't need 4wd at all. Very smooth operation of the diff

·
Registered
40 Posts
Night and day compared to before. The problem that I have now is the non defeatable stability control. Snowed about 8 in this week, didn't need 4wd at all. Very smooth operation of the diff
Sounds like its working good for you, I know what you mean truck will not get side ways with the stability control. I have to get one for my truck its be snowing a lot here lately, even with just a coating of snow on the road can't get the truck moving with out putting it in 4wd !! It sucks having a one legger in the snow !!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I thought about this before buying my snowy in Minnesota 2014 4x4 Big Horn and couldn't find the right mix of options/colors and Limited Slip lost. But wait, I did the test. I burned the tires on the non-limited slip in a straight line.. And I do mean both tires, yes they both spin. The right just leaves a little more rubber..it must be the traction control. I've been delighted with this truck in the snow and often leave it out of automatic AWD. It just hooks up. Plus you get a touch better fuel economy with less axle resistance and cheaper fluid changes. The LSD is not a deal breaker.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I thought about this before buying my snowy in Minnesota 2014 4x4 Big Horn and couldn't find the right mix of options/colors and Limited Slip lost. But wait, I did the test. I burned the tires on the non-limited slip in a straight line.. And I do mean both tires, yes they both spin. The right just leaves a little more rubber..it must be the traction control. I've been delighted with this truck in the snow and often leave it out of automatic AWD. It just hooks up. Plus you get a touch better fuel economy with less axle resistance and cheaper fluid changes. The LSD is not a deal breaker.
I agree. I've had the same experiences here in Buffalo, NY with my open diff. If given the choice I would had gotten the LSD but it was not a deal breaker. I haven't regretted it yet at all.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not having the lsd on the truck wasnt going to stop me from buying it because the deal was so sweet. But I can tell you that I was on a clients blacktop driveway with a slight incline and when I tried to reverse up it after a light misting of rain the truck just sat there spinning. I was shocked. I had to put it 4x to get up. Then a few days later, same conditions, it spun the whole way up going forward! LSD should be standard on these.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Not having the lsd on the truck wasnt going to stop me from buying it because the deal was so sweet. But I can tell you that I was on a clients blacktop driveway with a slight incline and when I tried to reverse up it after a light misting of rain the truck just sat there spinning. I was shocked. I had to put it 4x to get up. Then a few days later, same conditions, it spun the whole way up going forward! LSD should be standard on these.
And it turned out to be no big deal for you since you have 4wd. Now I would have to have it in a 2wd. It was the truck I wanted with the everyday options I would use.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If I had ordered my Ram, I would likely have ordered the LSD. I found the rear tires spun easily one wet pavement, even taking off in a straight line from an intersection. After 6 months, I tore out a sidewall on a branch and switch all tires to Michelin LTX 2's (winter = Hakkapalittas). We get a lot of snow and mountainous routes and now I don't have any issues, even up in the bush. I never have to think about it anymore.

So if you don't have an LSD diff and are still running Goodyear SR/As, consider upgrading the rubber if spinning is an issue. Everybody's climate. roads, and application are different so you might not need to. I had a GM Sierra Denali with the Eaton locker and in 6 years I only heard/felt it clunk in once when I was hot dogging in deep snow.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
And it turned out to be no big deal for you since you have 4wd. Now I would have to have it in a 2wd. It was the truck I wanted with the everyday options I would use.
:SHOCKED: youuuuuuuuuuu know how to use options you old coot..?????:Wow1:

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
:SHOCKED: youuuuuuuuuuu know how to use options you old coot..?????:Wow1:
Yup thunder pony learned me how to does them. You ain't been no help, than again you never was. ROTFLMAO :box2::box2:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Make certain you check your gear lube in a few hundred miles. I installed an Auburn in one of the old cars I restored and it bled silver filings into the gear lube and turned it silver. The rear end shop that put my 3.92 and posi in my new Ram won't even sell an Auburn because they have run into this same problem several times.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just curious - is there an easy way to tell if mine is a lsd by any code in the VIN ? Mine likes to spin both tires on wet or dry , traction on/off doesn't seem to matter ...
Sorry for the newbie question....

Sarge

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just curious - is there an easy way to tell if mine is a lsd by any code in the VIN ? Mine likes to spin both tires on wet or dry , traction on/off doesn't seem to matter ...
Sorry for the newbie question....

Sarge
Sarge, if you punch in your VIN here: Equipment Listing

It will give you the equipment listing for your truck and it should say whether you have an anti-spin differential or not.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for that , looks like conventional diffs - front and rear . Guess it's the traction control that is kicking it sideways under hard throttle - even on dry pavement . In some cases , I'd say it's good since some of the anti-spin units can be aggressive and a problem on ice/rain slick roads . Time will tell , hope the 4wd works good with the stock 17" Goodyear SRA's , those tires are crap and hated them on my older '07 Dakota so they went bye-bye ...
Sarge

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Thanks for that , looks like conventional diffs - front and rear . Guess it's the traction control that is kicking it sideways under hard throttle - even on dry pavement . In some cases , I'd say it's good since some of the anti-spin units can be aggressive and a problem on ice/rain slick roads . Time will tell , hope the 4wd works good with the stock 17" Goodyear SRA's , those tires are crap and hated them on my older '07 Dakota so they went bye-bye ...
Sarge
Just put it in auto 4wd , when it's raining out .

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
Sarge
It won't work well with those tires, but its not the 4wd or the truck's fault. Those tires would still suck if you had a gear driven part time T-case and a spool in each diff.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts