DODGE RAM FORUM banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
I decided to pull my cover and find out once and for all if i indeed have a LSD, even i cannot discern its condition right now. I can give it a good wipe out too.
Picked up some Lucas oil and some additive. In reading the Lucas bottle, it says "Excellent for use in limited slip differentials. No special additive needed".

Now, ive used this oil for many years and never paid any attention to this statement. This being my first LSD though, I figured id better make sure of this, so i sent Lucas an email asking them to confirm this statement with regards to our clutch oem diffs.

I get a call from them on my answering machine telling me to go ahead and add 4oz of the friction modifier !
Sure wish i had been around to take that call, so i could ask him to explain the statement on the bottle which now seems false !

I know a lot of people love Lucas oil, so i hope this helps you out !

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
Have any of y'all used the yukon lsd?
I haven't heard of anyone using it, but I'd go with Yukon over Auburn. I have read of a couple failures with the Auburn unit

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just installed a new OEM limited Slip differential on my 2016 Rebel today, and I can say it is different than my LSD (Sure-Grip) in the Cuda. The 8-3/4 will turn both wheels in the same direction, when turning one by hand. But the new 9.25 ZF when turning one wheel the other wheel turns in the opposite direction.
This has clutches that will not lock until torque is applied to it. This will cause the spider gears to push the side gears out against the clutches to lock them.
You have to look close to see the clutches under the side gears to see them. The clutch locking bar is a giveaway as shown in the photo that looks like a W.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
The rebel didn't come with LSD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know the actual size of the preload adjuster hex size im wanting to make one or buy one for my 13 im shaping to lsd

81 - 94 of 94 Posts