DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've owned my '12 QC 2WD since '15. It had pretty much everything I wanted save for LSD. At the time, I checked around and found only 1-2 aftermarket diffs. Kinda' weird as most other trucks are well served by the aftermarket. Decided to just swap out the whole axle which I did. Checked before I bought it and both wheels turned in the same direction. Paid $800, which I thought was a pretty good price. Installed it and took it out for a test run. A little brake torque action and got a one wheel peel! Did some more research and found that our posi set ups are one of the worst out there. The one I bought was 3/4 wore out. (I was confused when I pulled the cover why I didn't see any springs, plates, etc.) So, in a rage, I jerked it back out and sold it to the scrap man. I'm not going to deal with clutches that act like a consumable part. (Yeah. I'm gonna' replace them every 30K miles! :( ) Forward to today and I'm wanna' try it again. Figuring by now that the market would be awash in diffs, I check out things online. Am I correct that we STILL only have 3 choices?! OEM Mopar, an Eaton clutch type unit or a clutch based set up by Randy's? I've never liked clutch type units. No lockers of any kind? Hell, at this stage of the game, I'd do a lunchbox. But, that well is dry, too. So, after that long winded rant, anyone have any suggestions? Or, am I destined to spend the rest of my days rocking the truck to get in/out of my driveway after it snows? :(

·
Registered
708 Posts
Honestly, I never had trouble hooking up with my old Thunder Road 05 with the 9.25" limited slip at the track. My understanding, you don't have limited slip and you want to replace with one? If you find one, make sure you use the limited slip additive. I had a 3,000 rpm stall and came out of the hole spraying nitrous. I could pull hole shots on a lot of faster cars. BTW, it had 276,000 hard miles when I traded in on EcoDiesel, never a problem. I don't think the 9.25" OEM limited slip is bad at all. I towed a 10,000 lb 5th wheel and a lot of severe use, too. I'd try to find one from a wreck, a low miles wreck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everything changed in '11 when it went from being inhouse to ZF manufactured. Maybe you got lucky, don't have many miles on it or something but the ZF models are becoming notorious for eating the clutch packs. The one I bought had only 29K miles. The guy showed me paperwork from police report, insurance company, etc. verifying those miles. Low miles are no guarantee. I'm just amazed that with literally more than a million of these out on the road, the choices are so limited.

·
Registered
789 Posts
there's oodles of '11+ Ram's at the tracks across the country running 12s and lower ,.,
most are using the stock LSD so it must be working ?

otherwise what are those guys running ?

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
If your that unhappy with the 235mm ZF rear end, get a 2009 or 2010 complete rear end
It would have coil springs too, you would have to measure the spring perches for width of course.
The Corporate or AAM 9.25 differentials make it easier & less costly to swap the Ring gear too

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
As far as I know there are no air or electric lockers, nor are there any clutchless for the zf's. If you want to swap the corporate axle then IIRC you can get a clutchless setup.

I have had no issues with my limited slip on my 2016 at almost 55,000 miles. I tow, plow, and see plenty of snow and slippery stuff to get the LS to engage. Having the LS worn out every 30k miles sounds awful pessimistic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts