DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I’m new here. I’m wanting to purchase a Rebel style grille for my 2012 1500 but all rebel style grilles that I can find are for 2013 & up. I’m not sure if it’s simply not available or maybe I just don’t know what I’m searching for. Either way help would be appreciated.

I’m going to leave a picture of the grille that I want and a picture of my truck for reference.

·
Registered
2012 Ram 1500 ST Crew Cab | 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT Quad Cab
29 Posts
maxresdefault.jpg
Hi there, the reason why there is different branding between 2009-2012 grill and 2013-2018 grills is because of the appearance. In 2013 Ram gave an updated look to the 4th generation grill but kept the same dimensions up through to the the new 5th generation Rams. You can see in the photo I attached, that there is no gap between the chrome cross-hare and the honeycomb inserts compared to the picture you have posted where you see an inch gap between the two pieces of the grill. You very well can put a Rebel trim grill on your 2012 Ram 1500 Sport. You also could put a 5th generation grill on your 2012 if you wanted to as well. It would, however, require a new hood, front quarter panels and a bumper.

I hope this helps,
Dave N.

Edit: Sorry, I just took a better look at the grill your planning on buying, it looks to me that it is shaped in the same way as the 5th generation Ram Rebel grill and not the 4th generation Ram Rebel grill. I'd advise you look for a 4th generation Rebel grill because the one in the photo you tagged does not look compatible with your 2012. I suggest looking for a design similar to the grill image I have attached.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
View attachment 132849 View attachment 132850 Hi there, the reason why there is different branding between 2009-2012 grill and 2013-2018 grills is because of the appearance. In 2013 Ram gave an updated look to the 4th generation grill but kept the same dimensions up through to the the new 5th generation Rams. You can see in the photo I attached, that there is no gap between the chrome cross-hare and the honeycomb inserts compared to the picture you have posted where you see an inch gap between the two pieces of the grill. You very well can put a Rebel trim grill on your 2012 Ram 1500 Sport. You also could put a 5th generation grill on your 2012 if you wanted to as well. It would, however, require a new hood, front quarter panels and a bumper.

I hope this helps,
Dave N.

Edit: Sorry, I just took a better look at the grill your planning on buying, it looks to me that it is shaped in the same way as the 5th generation Ram Rebel grill and not the 4th generation Ram Rebel grill. I'd advise you look for a 4th generation Rebel grill because the one in the photo you tagged does not look compatible with your 2012. I suggest looking for a design similar to the grill image I have attached.
Thanks a lot for the input

·
Registered
348 Posts
Actually, the only difference between the 2009-2012 and 2013+ grill is the lower corners. Note on yours there's one sharp angle in the corner and the RAM one you posted a pic of has two angles on it making the corner, sort of rounded out. I've seen the Rebel style on eBay for an '09-'12, but if I remember correctly, it doesn't have the RAM letters on it

·
Registered
29 Posts
Actually, the only difference between the 2009-2012 and 2013+ grill is the lower corners. Note on yours there's one sharp angle in the corner and the RAM one you posted a pic of has two angles on it making the corner, sort of rounded out. I've seen the Rebel style on eBay for an '09-'12, but if I remember correctly, it doesn't have the RAM letters on it
Right, I forgot to mention that. Besides the pushed out appearance change on the grill itself, you do also have the bottom edging change. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

thanks a lot for the info but I guess mu question would be... would that matter if i try to install it on mine?

·
Registered
29 Posts
thanks a lot for the info but I guess mu question would be... would that matter if i try to install it on mine?
I mean I don't believe so. You do need to look at the fact that Ram put a completely different front bumper with the Rebel grill in addition to the sport hood. It very well may be the case where you need to order a new bumper, which will line up to the holes of the old bumper. You already have a sport hood, so I think in your case it would be safe to contact a dealership, or go to the dealer and take measurements of the truck you want to take the parts from and compare them to your truck. From my experience, you can get away with putting a 2013+ grill in your 2012.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 12, and that same exact grille. It didn't exactly line up on the bottom, but it did fit. The top was an exact match for the mounting holes I already had.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a 12, and that same exact grille. It didn't exactly line up on the bottom, but it did fit. The top was an exact match for the mounting holes I already had.
View attachment 132877

View attachment 132878
Thanks a lot, my grille is supposed to arrive today and I’m a little anxious. You just made my day.

I should have an update for this weekend. I’ll let you guys know!

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's really strange. If anything, all you should've had for problems was the bumper because they used a different one on that trim level. You know if you're looking for an updated sport look for your 2012, you could always get a 2018 blacked out sport grill. That wouldn't give you any problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's really strange. If anything, all you should've had for problems was the bumper because they used a different one on that trim level. You know if you're looking for an updated sport look for your 2012, you could always get a 2018 blacked out sport grill. That wouldn't give you any problems.
i’m sort of new at all this. Could you help me with a picture of that grille?

·
Registered
197 Posts
It's fragile work to change the inserts, but if all your wanting to do is add the black honey comb insert, I have one out of my '12. Removed at 10,000 mi.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's fragile work to change the inserts, but if all your wanting to do is add the black honey comb insert, I have one out of my '12. Removed at 10,000 mi.
I'm guessing your truck is the Outdoorsman trim? Also, what Mora really wants is a Rebel trim grill but he purchased one for a 5th generation Ram instead of the 4th.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts