DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the site and have a 2005 hemi out of a 2005 truck in my 66 coronet. We finally got the motor started and it spun a couple of bearings and cracked 4 pistons. Needless to say I am in for a rebuild. I am looking to beef up the shortblock but am having a lot of trouble finding solid info on 5.7 hemi mods. I am interested in putting a forged 6.1 hemi crank in my truck but am not sure it will fit. It is my understanding that they are the same crank but the tone ring is different. Is that all? Can I swap my 5.7 tone ring over to the 6.1 crank? Who has a great rebuild kit that will have everything I need without getting ripped of? Any otherrecommendations while the motor is torn down?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Call STU at inertia motorsports he is the go too guy when it comes to these motors period! And has the best reputation out there for quick service and returns every phone call he gets that he can. Here is his website and he will hook you up... As for the toner ring im not too sure if they are different i dont think they are but you never know. If it were me i would just go ahead and buy one of his rotating assemblies and be done with it. Get you an already ballanced 392 stroker kit and send your block off to your local machine shop for all the fixins once the kit comes in!

http://inertiamotorsports.com/

[email protected]

(512) 964-7724

(862) 215-4668

·
Registered
6 Posts
thanks. I talked to the machine shop today when I dropped the block off but the guy at the counter couldnt realy say are just wouldnt. So I figured I would hit you guys up. Because I want to assemble this myself and just trying to cut down on any surprises. once the block is ready I will order my rotating assembly.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
I would recommend a stroker as well, however if you want to keep stock displacement, the 6.1 crank is a drop in, you will just need correct sized bearings, the rest of the reciprocating assembly (pistons, rods) and to have it all balanced. 6.1 crank is the cheap way to go towards a forged short block.

·
Registered
78 Posts
FYI; if you are considering any upgrades, please keep in mind the factory pressed powder rods are only good up to approximately 500 hp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts