DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a recall notice saying my EGR cooler may be subject to thermal fatigue. This may cause it to crack internally. This, in turn, may introduce pre-heated, vaporized coolant into the EGR system while the engine is running. Cutting to the chase, this could result in an engine fire.

Let's pretend I'm lucky, or fast enough to see an engine fire coming and get then hell out of Dodge (pun intended), my truck is going to be toast.

I call every dealer within driving range, none of them have parts to take care of the recall notice. One of the dealers said they would call me back if, and when, they have parts.

I don't like to complain but this sounds a bit like sorry you have cancer, but we had to schedule the cure until after you die.

This is not the first time it's happened with FCA.

IMO, FCA needs to get off their corporate ass and take care of customers better.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I have a year old or more open recall on my wifes Durango for a fuel pump issue. No contact made since I got the post card.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
All the manufactures have the same issue with recalls, my advice take your truck to the dealer you use and let them order the recall parts for your truck under your vin number and when they come in they will notify you to bring in your truck. I am not sure dealers are going to just order these EGR coolers to keep in stock as they are not cheap.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
When I was at the Dodge dealer, depending on what recall was dodge would send us like an initial order to have. I dunno if it was based of percentage of those we sold or what. But I think the previous poster may be correct on FCA not sending them until a vin request comes thru. There are work arounds I would hope your dealer is smart enough to do.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I didn't get the notice, but was told about it from the dealership when I brought in my 2015 1500 Ecodisel and was told the part weren't in, but will be contacted when it is. Been 3 weeks.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
So try this. A) Ask dealer is this a safety problem. I e engine failure fire etc. If so ask where he wants it parked and where your loaner is. Or B) If financed thru FCA tell them when you can go back to using your vehicle that cost $xxx a month paid to them youll start paying and they can deduct non use months from loan.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
When I was at the Dodge dealer, depending on what recall was dodge would send us like an initial order to have. I dunno if it was based of percentage of those we sold or what. But I think the previous poster may be correct on FCA not sending them until a vin request comes thru. There are work arounds I would hope your dealer is smart enough to do.
I think the dealers can order them but with a recall this big and the expense of the EGR cooler I doubt many dealers are going to carry them in stock but rather order them as needed when a truck comes through their service bay for write up for that recall.

It would not make much sense for a dealer who may not see many or any ecodiesels to carry that EGR cooler in stock while a dealer that sells a bunch of ecodiesels and is in an area where they service them on a regular basis will likely order them to have enough on hand as they will know just how many ecodiesels they service.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I got a recall notice saying my EGR cooler may be subject to thermal fatigue. This may cause it to crack internally. This, in turn, may introduce pre-heated, vaporized coolant into the EGR system while the engine is running. Cutting to the chase, this could result in an engine fire.

Let's pretend I'm lucky, or fast enough to see an engine fire coming and get then hell out of Dodge (pun intended), my truck is going to be toast.

I call every dealer within driving range, none of them have parts to take care of the recall notice. One of the dealers said they would call me back if, and when, they have parts.

I don't like to complain but this sounds a bit like sorry you have cancer, but we had to schedule the cure until after you die.

This is not the first time it's happened with FCA.

IMO, FCA needs to get off their corporate ass and take care of customers better.
If you start losing coolant, the sign that the cooler is failing, take your truck to the dealer. He will store the truck and give you a loaner until the part comes in.
No need to let it catch fire or strand you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It took at least 6 months. But the dealership finally called me and I had the cooler replaced last week. I didn't really know what the EGR Cooler was, but 3 weeks prior to dealership calling. I was having misfire issues on my Prius and it was suggested I remove the EGR valve and Cooler and remove the carbon build-up. I did it from watching a YouTube video and it really helped. So when the dealership called, I now knew what the heck they were afraid of and why it would happen.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
It took at least 6 months. But the dealership finally called me and I had the cooler replaced last week. I didn't really know what the EGR Cooler was, but 3 weeks prior to dealership calling. I was having misfire issues on my Prius and it was suggested I remove the EGR valve and Cooler and remove the carbon build-up. I did it from watching a YouTube video and it really helped. So when the dealership called, I now knew what the heck they were afraid of and why it would happen.
Hi WinLange,
We're happy to hear that your concern has been resolved by the dealer. Should this or any other concerns return in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out!

Rob
Ram Cares

1 - 10 of 10 Posts