DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got several recalls on my 14 that I need to take it in for. One is an airbag, one is a cruise control, and the other is a tranny.

The two safety recalls obviously need attention. However, I'm not sure about the tranny. It's running fine and I'm hesistant to have tranny work done if it isn't a major concern.

What is the tranny recall for? How much of an issue is it?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I assume you have the column shifter; that recall isn't for the transmission itself, its for the linkage to make sure it can't come out of park on its own. As long as you use your parking brake every time, which you should anyway to protect the transmission, you'll be fine.

Every manufacturer has airbag recalls. Those are pretty quick to take care of.

The cruise control recall isn't really a concern for me-my Ram isn't affected but my Durango is. I don;'t use cruise control and the scenario in which there is a problem with it not shutting off is so unlikely that its not really a concern for me

·
Premium Member
32,785 Posts
I told my Service Advisor to leave my 2016 Ram software alone
He said OK, so none of the updates have been Safety Related yet

·
Registered
48 Posts
My '14 Ram and the wife's '16 Grand Cherokee both got the cruise control recall & we're taking them in Thursday. We were told it wouldn't take long, maybe an hour each.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I assume you have the column shifter; that recall isn't for the transmission itself, its for the linkage to make sure it can't come out of park on its own. As long as you use your parking brake every time, which you should anyway to protect the transmission, you'll be fine.

Every manufacturer has airbag recalls. Those are pretty quick to take care of.

The cruise control recall isn't really a concern for me-my Ram isn't affected but my Durango is. I don;'t use cruise control and the scenario in which there is a problem with it not shutting off is so unlikely that its not really a concern for me
I get using the parking brake on an incline, but why use it every time?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Had the recalls done two weeks ago. T79, BTSI was inspected and BCM was flashed from part number 68236152AC to part number 68236152AD. U61, PCM was reprogrammed from part number 68153772AH to part number 68153772AL. Truck was running well before I brought it in; seems a little quieter now and the computer shifts into higher gears sooner and downshifts later when slowing. I can live with it. I'll know in a week or so if the software changes have affected the fuel economy.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Its a good habit and keeps all the vehicle weight on the brake and not the transmission. I guess you don't need to but its a good practice

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you park on an incline and rely upon the parking pawl, you might find yourself in the position of needing someone to push your truck uphill slightly to take pressure off the pawl when you want to shift out of park.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had the recalls done two weeks ago. T79, BTSI was inspected and BCM was flashed from part number 68236152AC to part number 68236152AD. U61, PCM was reprogrammed from part number 68153772AH to part number 68153772AL. Truck was running well before I brought it in; seems a little quieter now and the computer shifts into higher gears sooner and downshifts later when slowing. I can live with it. I'll know in a week or so if the software changes have affected the fuel economy.
Please update in a week on your mpg and general opinions.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My '14 Ram and the wife's '16 Grand Cherokee both got the cruise control recall & we're taking them in Thursday. We were told it wouldn't take long, maybe an hour each.
It took my dealer less than 20 minutes to do the U61 software update to my 2014 Ram.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Does your dealer still use an old style washer with spinning brushes?
Nope, the car was heavily dirty from salt/sand/etc because it was early March and the weather didnt really permit washing it myself.

I brought the car in and noted several times "do not wash", I guess all they heard was "wash". They did the typical "spin the sponge in a circle around the whole car" method and thats what I ended up with. Even worse was that it was raining when I picked up the car so I couldnt really tell until the next day.

It was so bad they even paid up for the paint correction.

Now every vehicle I have goes in with "DO NOT WASH" signs hanging all over it. One in each window (including windshield and rear window), one taped to the steering wheel and one hanging from the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Please update in a week on your mpg and general opinions.
Truck seems to shift more smoothly and into higher gears sooner. It will hold gears as I slow and continue motoring on at 1,000 r.p.m., only downshifting to climb inclines or accelerate rapidly. Fuel economy has been good, EVIC showing 23+ mpg last two tanks. (I live in a rural area and do not see much stop-and-go.)

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have mine today at the Dealer to cover 5 recalls, i bought the truck used, and the previous owner didn't care much to perform any recall whatsover since he/she bought it new in 2014, i'll see how it goes in the afternoon, knocking on wood :)
I also took a copy of the current factory calibration with Hptuners before taking her to the dealer, and ill do another read after all recalls and perhaps factory PCM flashes have been done, and check for differences, i like how the truck drives, and hopefully it'll remain the same, so i did the copy just in case something i can fix myself if needed, assuming the change can be captured with HPT if any.

·
Registered
176 Posts
All recalls completed, no issues to report.
I've got the R23 Reprogram occupant restraint done, R36 Steering wheel wiring done, T25 Occupant restraint control module done, T79 brake transmission shift interlock done and U61 Reprogram Power control module done, this last is an update to the PCM OS, i'll see if i can spot any changes with respect of the stuff i can see/modify in the calibraton with HPT.

·
Registered
775 Posts
All recalls completed, no issues to report.
I've got the R23 Reprogram occupant restraint done, R36 Steering wheel wiring done, T25 Occupant restraint control module done, T79 brake transmission shift interlock done and U61 Reprogram Power control module done, this last is an update to the PCM OS, i'll see if i can spot any changes with respect of the stuff i can see/modify in the calibraton with HPT.[/QUOT

Just got recall #12 (or is it 13) for PCM software on the cruise control. I just had it in for another cruise control recall a couple of months ago. Number U61.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts