DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The hitch I ordered came in today. I did not get a chance to finish the install because I did not have a large enough Allen wrench for the bolt/screw that goes thru the bumper. This is the Curt 13333. It is rated for 500 TW and 6000 GVW. If you use the load dist hitch then it is up to 1000 TW and 10000 GVW. I got free shipping on it as well! Sweet!:smileup:

Here is a before I did anything.

Another before...

Here are a couple before shots from under the truck. Sorry I took them with the 1mp camera on my phone so they are pretty low quality. It was also getting dark outside.

As you can see the cross member that the hitch attaches to is pretty beefy and that connects to the frame. So in essence you are attaching it the way you would a traditional receiver hitch. I put one on my Durango a few years ago and it bolted directly to the frame.

Here is a pic of my son holding the hitch, just so you get an idea of the size.

Finally a couple of shots of the stuff it comes with. I think the hardest part is going to be trying to fish the bolts in thru that tube that is under the bumper. They include this piece of fishing line, (not shown inthe pics and not actual fishing line, its metal) that they tell you to use to "fish" the bolts into position. I am not looking forward to that.

Good luck to anyone who is going to put one of these on. Seems pretty simple and I think this will be more than enough support for anything I am going to tow with this truck. I will post some after pics when I am done. :4-looney:

·
Registered
94 Posts
...."I did not have a large enough Allen wrench"

I feel ya bud. I just put my Torklift tie down mounts on and had already sized the bolts that came with them which are 3/4". All set right? Nope the darn bots that had to be removed to the bed where 18mm, but yet the frame bolts are 11/32". So I had to go to the store and get an 18mm socket. Why do they use both metric and standard sizes is beyond me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know right!

...."I did not have a large enough Allen wrench"

I feel ya bud. I just put my Torklift tie down mounts on and had already sized the bolts that came with them which are 3/4". All set right? Nope the darn bots that had to be removed to the bed where 18mm, but yet the frame bolts are 11/32". So I had to go to the store and get an 18mm socket. Why do they use both metric and standard sizes is beyond me.
I wondered the same thing! I guess since somethings are put together in other countries and then they just put the trucks together in Michigan! Thats where my truck says it was assembled.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
those so called fishing wire tools are great !!!

i first saw them when i installed a front hitch on my '99 chevy 1500
just screw the bolt into the spring 3 or 4 full threads, then stick the other end through the access hole & feed it through to the hole where the bolt hole is located, pull it through to where it starts pulling the bolt through the first hole, through the tube, & into place.
the hardest part for me was finding a piece of wood to stick into the tube to hold the bolt head down in place to start the threading into the nut & a bit later a wrench to keep the bolt head from turning while tightening every thing up

here is a short video of how to fish the bolt through the frame
http://www.etrailer.com/tv-fish_wire.aspx

how to make your own Bolt Leader or fish wire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itu8SHaqNgo

·
Registered
94 Posts
those so called fishing wire tools are great !!!

the hardest part for me was finding a piece of wood to stick into the tube to hold the bolt head down in place to start the threading into the nut & a bit later a wrench to keep the bolt head from turning while tightening every thing up
They came with star washers to hold the bolt from turning. I didn't think they would work as I was able to turn the bolt with the star wahers in my hand and didn't see how they would hold much, but after intalling the bolt and getting more than hand tight the bolt heads did keep from turning!

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
I got one of these receivers from U-Haul. Even paid them to install it. They said it would take about 20 to 30 minutes. 4 hours later we (yes, by this time I got involved in the install) were using every means possible to get it to fit up to the frame tube to bolt it on. Granted I believe it was a manufacturing issue with that particular hitch. It manager at U-Haul was very nice about the whole thing. Cut half off the original labor estimate and threw in a 7000 lb cap ball and hitch. I love the look now that it is on!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys, new member here. Just got done installing this piece. It feels really sturdy and installation was easier than I thought it would be. Still have to go to a shop and have them check the torque on the bolts as I don't have a torque wrench but i turned it to the point they wouldnt turn anymore. Fishing the bolt through was easy if you put the twisted side in through the mounting hole and thread it all the way so it doesn't come out mid hitch.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey guys, new member here. Just got done installing this piece. It feels really sturdy and installation was easier than I thought it would be. Still have to go to a shop and have them check the torque on the bolts as I don't have a torque wrench but i turned it to the point they wouldnt turn anymore. Fishing the bolt through was easy if you put the twisted side in through the mounting hole and thread it all the way so it doesn't come out mid hitch.
Good job! I have the standard class IV and had to add a class V hitch to support extension bar for pulling boat with overhang camper in bed of truck. Installed by professional as it required some welding modification to fit with my camper tie down bars. It was worth the $60.00 they charged me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good job! I have the standard class IV and had to add a class V hitch to support extension bar for pulling boat with overhang camper in bed of truck. Installed by professional as it required some welding modification to fit with my camper tie down bars. It was worth the $60.00 they charged me.
Yeah, I thought about having it welded on but honestly, mine is the 4.7 with 3.55 gears so I doubt I'll be towing more than 6k anyway. It'll mostly be small gardening trailers or the u-haul flatbed once my other truck gets the body work done and off to paint. (88 Ram 50 street built with a 4g63t)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yeah, I thought about having it welded on but honestly, mine is the 4.7 with 3.55 gears so I doubt I'll be towing more than 6k anyway. It'll mostly be small gardening trailers or the u-haul flatbed once my other truck gets the body work done and off to paint. (88 Ram 50 street built with a 4g63t)
I hear ya...it's not that I'll be puling over 6K (at least for now)...I had to add the class V hitch due to tongue wt displacement on the 48" extension bar I needed to extend beyond the camper over hang past the rear bumper. REESE is the only 48" extension hitch made for this and only available with the 2.5" opening and larger bar to support the wt at the end of the extension bar, thus requiring the 2.5" class V hitch. It's an expensive way to go, but the only SAFE option available! I've read where other's that have custom made this to work with a class IV (2" to 2.5" modified adapter), but risk the chance of the 2" bar bending. I chose SAFE over cost and figure hey if I ever need to pull heavier, well then I can do that too::smileup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah it's not too bad to install. You just want to be carefull you don't drop the bolts in the tube. Once I fished it through, I held the base of the bolt with a needle nose while I pulled off the fish line and got the nut started.

I looked at the one on my friends 07 power wagon and noticed it was welded on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts