DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got back from spending a week in Quebec KOA, which put us about 20-30 minutes outside of "Old Quebec". I have been to Quebec before, but it was with an ex gf about 20 years ago and she made the trip miserable, so, it was time to do it again with my family.

I towed my TT about 340 miles each way to the KOA. Overall the truck did well, but she drank some fuel and the computer told me I was getting about 8.8 mpg. When I left Canada, I was getting 10+ mpg until I hit the mountains in VT. I noticed the roads were more forgiving whereas NH and VT it feels like a constant uphill and every so often a bit of a downhill. The truck worked hard this trip because of the hills / mountains.

I have 34" tires instead of the stock 33's, so they are nearly twice as heavy and the size hasn't been corrected for the speedo. My truck and trailer combo usually runs about 13,200 -13,400# and my trailer is 31' plus a four-bike rack on the back.

I also noticed that there are a LOT of Ram 1500's roaming around Quebec and many of them are towing 5W's. The most popular tow vehicle seemed to be a 1500 Outdoorsman with 17" wheels and long bed, which is nearly impossible to find in my area of the US.Here's a pic of one of the three Ram 1500's with 5W in the campground I stayed at:

The worst part of my trip was on the way back from Canada, I had to get off the highway to get gas. The first exit I stopped at I couldn't get into the gas station. The entry back onto the highway was a short ramp on a long uphill grade. The second exit actually had gas and I fit in the gas station. the on-ramp was again, a long, steep grade to get back onto the highway.

While climbing from the on-ramp, I wasn't trying to push the truck too hard, but I wanted to get up to speed, which I did with a little time. The truck didn't come out of 3rd gear for a bit due to the climb. The outside temp was 76 degrees and the elevation wasn't likely more than 2000 feet. I checked my gauges and found the following:
COOLANT TEMP: 204
TRANS TEMP: 208
OIL TEMP: 251
OIL PRESSURE: 53

The temps quickly returned to normal when I crested the hill, but I don't recall my oil temp getting that high before.

I had no problems keeping with the flow of traffic, but I didn't enjoy the constant gear changes. The gear changes aren't a reflection of the truck or the gearing IMO, it's a long, tall 7500# trailer being pulled through the white and green mountains of the northeast. When I got out of the mountains, my truck felt great and the trailer felt so much lighter. I liken this to a semi truck- there's plenty of power and good gearing, but you have to get weight up a hill, so the truck has to work.

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
As someone who is considering purchasing a travel trailer and towing with a Ram 1500, thanks for the detailed and honest post. I hope you had a good trip otherwise! Reading your post, I'd almost wager a bet that you may be thinking about a 2500 in the not so distant future. Could be wrong.....

That's nuts about that 1500 towing a 5th wheel I know they have "half ton towable" 5th wheels and all, but it still surprises me when I see them as well around here. Usually it's Tundra or F150 drivers though. So I just assume they don't have any common sense anyway. (Kidding, sorta). :D

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
That's nuts about that 1500 towing a 5th wheel I know they have "half ton towable" 5th wheels and all, but it still surprises me when I see them as well around here. Usually it's Tundra or F150 drivers though. So I just assume they don't have any common sense anyway. (Kidding, sorta). :D

Anyone who would actually tow 13,000 lbs with an F-150 is out of their damned mind.

Tundra guys...well a lot of them are typical Toyota delusionists who think their engine will go a million miles with french fry grease in the sump, and that their truck is similar in capability to a 3/4 ton from Ram, GM, or Ford.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Anyone who would actually tow 13,000 lbs with an F-150 is out of their damned mind.

Tundra guys...well a lot of them are typical Toyota delusionists who think their engine will go a million miles with french fry grease in the sump, and that their truck is similar in capability to a 3/4 ton from Ram, GM, or Ford.

...but the manual said, I can pull up to 13000#...

On the other side- because we had this topic her and even though I'm an absolute enemy when it comes to the combination half ton and fifth wheel, I looked into the concept (at least I want to know, what I'm talking about and I also question my self- I might be wrong?)

The secret is in the length and structure of a half ton towable trailer.
First I found, half ton-towable 5th wheels are way shorter than comparable tagalongs, when it comes to the part behind the truck without accounting for the bunk in the front. This actually makes the part behind the truck as short as a 25ft compared to a 30ft trailer. because 5ft are hanging above the truck, the wheels coming closer and the weight distribution to the wheels helps to carry the weight, which is distributed to the rear. (sounds complicated, but someone who paid attention in physics will get it).
Also I found, the frames for half ton towable 5th wheels are different from the regular ones. They actually play with physics and levers to distribute the weight behind the truck, away from above the bed, reducing therefore the pin weight. The secret is, instead of L-form frame to the pin, it's more a triangle, which distributes the weight in a ~ 25-30° angle downwards, which you don't see, because it's behind the walls.
Therefore, you can get a lower pin weight by moving the weight center to the back. The trailer "supposedly" have the same weight distribution like a tagalong. How the reality looks like, I don't know. But when I look at the Prowler in the picture, it does not seem the truck is squatting a lot and it looks for me, like it's well within the possible load. Yes, it's squatting a little- but with stock suspension without air, I would not see an issue. I don't know the pin weight, but when you say Outdoorsman, I would assume, you have at least 1600# payload to play with due to trim level and equipment.
Nevertheless, I would not choose one of those trailers, because you don't really have more room than in a normal camper and having the 5th wheel hitch permanently in the bed would go on my nerves, as I use my truck majorly for other stuff than pulling my camper.
At the end, I understand, why people do it- I think mainly it's easier to maneuver- but I believe, it's a niche for a few. If you want a 5er, get a capable truck, because also I found by googling: a 30ft 1500- towable 5th wheel cost as much as a 35ft tagalong. I don't even want to go into the topic resale value- with a camper like this, it'll be very hard to get rid of. maybe in Canada the situation is better, but down here- that thing would sit there till it buried it self with it's own weight in the yard before it's sold.

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,601 Posts
Honestly, I have never understood why anyone would push the envelope to tow? I mean, just because you can tow 13,000 pounds with a 1/2 ton, doesn't mean it's safe. Why max it out? I choose to leave a little wiggle room in there, just for safety's sake. The truck is less controllable and wears out faster.

Secondly, my truck weighs (roughly) 6,000 lbs. I am looking to tow a TT that comes in around 4,000 - 4,500 pounds. Well within the range I'm comfortable with. (Something like what TruBlu mention earlier, a 2019 Keystone PASSPORT 197RB.) I want to drive more weight than tow more weight.

Also, I tend to operate under the K.I.S.S. principle. I don't need to haul a mansion around behind me, to prove I can waste my money. I think an averaged sized TT will do that just fine. Fortunately, all I have to worry about is the wife & I. I don't need a lot of room, don't want no stinkin' bunk beds or TVs in every corner. LOL Just a simple, comfortable place to spend the night.

But, that's just my $0.02 worth...

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
If I got a camper it'd probably be one of the ultralight ones with a bunk space and maybe an exterior kitchen

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
If I got a camper it'd probably be one of the ultralight ones with a bunk space and maybe an exterior kitchen
Kind of what I got, double bunks in the back, slide U shape dinette and an outdoor kitchen that is fully covered by the canopy. Loaded out at about 6000#. :)

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Kind of what I got, double bunks in the back, slide U shape dinette and an outdoor kitchen that is fully covered by the canopy. Loaded out at about 6000#. :)
Sounds right about perfect to be pulling with a half ton:smileup:

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
As someone who is considering purchasing a travel trailer and towing with a Ram 1500, thanks for the detailed and honest post. I hope you had a good trip otherwise! Reading your post, I'd almost wager a bet that you may be thinking about a 2500 in the not so distant future. Could be wrong.....

I considered a 2500 when I got this 1500, but my trailer was smaller and lighter so it didn't take much to talk me out of it because the ride of the 1500 is great and the transmission is so much better than the gas HD's.

Even most of the half ton 5W's are likely overloading the rear axle on the 4G's.

Last year I saw an F150 with a big 5W. I came up on it from behind and it was creeping along. It honestly scared me to see that 5W hooked to that truck, the camper absolutely dwarfed the truck. We didn't bother slowing down to take pictures, we got around it asap. I don't know what thoughts went through that guys mind, but it wasn't right.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Last year I saw an F150 with a big 5W. I came up on it from behind and it was creeping along. It honestly scared me to see that 5W hooked to that truck, the camper absolutely dwarfed the truck. We didn't bother slowing down to take pictures, we got around it asap. I don't know what thoughts went through that guys mind, but it wasn't right.

Has something to do with personal pride- they knew it the moment they drove off the lot, but would never admit it.
1. they would have to admit to their wife's - HELL NO!
2. they would have to admit it to all the others telling him, how stupid he is- also HELL NO!

Trust me- either he will sooner or later upgrade to a bigger truck or downsize and mention, that they don't need that much space for 2 people.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I don't know what thoughts went through that guys mind, but it wasn't right.
What was going through his mind was the commercial with that guy talking about how tough F-150s are, and how much more of a truck it is than the others. It can tow 13,000+ and that's all he cares to know, even if his specific truck can't

1 - 12 of 12 Posts