DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am unable to raise my Ram 1500 4X4 when loaded with the stock jack. Can someone recommend a replacement?

I have a hydraulic bottle jack, but it is too tall to fit under the axle when the tire is flat.

Are the bumpers strong enough to use the classic "high-lift" jack?

·
Super Moderator
34,742 Posts
The bumpers would probably deform with a high lift jack, and high lifts aren't all that stable anyway so they aren't a great choice for most people despite how versatile they can be off road.

They make different size bottle jacks, if I had a toolbox that's what I would carry. For my in garage maintenance I have a Harbor Freight 4 ton floor jack which is fantastic. My truck only weighs 5312 lbs so it can lift the entire truck with a full payload and then some, and has an easy time lifting a corner of the truck, but that is probably bigger than you want to carry around

·
Registered
437 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
My new 1500 Sport is my first pickup and the flat I had last month was an experience. I was able to lift the tire up enough to change it with the supplied jack, but getting the spare down from under the bed was damned near impossible with my arthritic shoulder. I didn't see any way of doing it other than laying on my back in the mud which is never gonna happen again. I'd hate calling AAA just for a flat, but that's what I'll do. Any advice to on that part?

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
I would not use the jack that comes with the Ram truck, unless it was an extreme emergency
That scissors jack has been known to buckle under weight & fall over on its side

If you want a strong scissors jack, consider the ones on this site
I have been leaning towards the
Torin Big Red Steel Scissor Jack, 1.5 Ton (3,000 lb) Capacity, i especially like the jacks base

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Bull-E...d=10ea7b144650a299d9575fee3c1c1547&kbid=62750

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would not use the jack that comes with the Ram truck, unless it was an extreme emergency
That scissors jack has been known to buckle under weight & fall over on its side

If you want a strong scissors jack, consider the ones on this site
I have been leaning towards the
Torin Big Red Steel Scissor Jack, 1.5 Ton (3,000 lb) Capacity, i especially like the jacks base

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Bull-E...d=10ea7b144650a299d9575fee3c1c1547&kbid=62750

First thing I did was read the Amazon user reviews. Not good at all.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Reading this reminds me that I need a better jack. The only way you would I would use a hi-lift is with a D-Ring receiver adapter and attaching the lift-mate wheel straps to that. Not ideal, but it should work in a pinch.

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
RicKaysen

which jack are you referring to, the Black Bull or the Torin Big Red Steel Scissor Jack, 1.5 Ton (3,000 lb) Capacity,

·
Registered
58 Posts
Where would the jack and handle for lowering the spare be on a 1999 1500 sport be located? I don't think I have one..

·
Registered
471 Posts
kpherzog, I bought my RAM in March 2016. Shortly after buying it I read, on this site, what jacks were recommended. Due to what was recommenced (at that time) I ended up getting a Craftsman 8 ton hydraulic jack. I have a drawer system where I keep it along with tools and other items. If you open the link below you'll see the drawer system. https://russinator.smugmug.com/Photography/Misc-Photographs/RAM-PICTURES/i-pCXmg7z/A

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
I don't like the scissor jacks that come in the Ram trucks, they are cheap

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I haven't needed mine yet and thought the placement under the passenger seat was pretty cool. After reading these posts, I will buy a better Jack. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't like the scissor jacks that come in the Ram trucks, they are cheap

Used the scissor jack in my 09 at least a dozen times over the years and never had a problem with it. Only issue I had was with the tool for lowering the spare bending and not working, so I bought the long steelman one that tow operators use.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts