DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are you guys protecting against rock chips and such? Is this less of a problem on trucks since they ride significantly higher than cars? I've considered the ceramic coating and the clear bra ideas. Are they worth the cost?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Clear bra IME eventually yellows and cracks; either go ceramic, or clay it, seal it, and wax it

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just picked up my black limited from having Ceramic pro put on it. Also had a mild paint restoration done on it to remove a surprising amount of factory installed swirls and scratches. Cost me $2670 total including tinting the 2 front side windows. It's amazing how much blacker the truck is now and slick as snot. 5 year product and includes all paint, chrome, wheels and glass. I have all my vehicles done.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was quoted over $2,000 for ceramic so I passed and just got clear bra. It's a matter of preference. Ceramic coating is super nice but won't prevent rock chips if that's your main concern.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Clear bra IME eventually yellows and cracks; either go ceramic, or clay it, seal it, and wax it
Correct, but that used to be the case on Gen I films.
Any quality film made in the last 3-4 years will not fade or yellow.

Ceramic will not protect from rock chips. The only way around this is to put paint protection film (PPF), or more commonly known as clear bra.

Neurobit

On Edit: If you get film, ensure they polish the paint to remove defects first, otherwise any swirls or holograms will be there for as long as you have film on top of it ��

·
Registered
111 Posts
My other cars have Alpha SB3 ceramic coating. They ran about $1200. This truck has Ceramic Pro which was $1800. Well worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
70 Posts
How long does the ceramic pro last?
A recent search seems to indicate about 6 months. Have come across anyone claiming it lasted more than a year.

·
Registered
111 Posts
How long does the ceramic pro last?
A recent search seems to indicate about 6 months. Have come across anyone claiming it lasted more than a year.
Warranty on the Silver level, I got, is 5 years. My oldest right now is about 3 years on Alpha and Ceramic Pro is a better product.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Correct, but that used to be the case on Gen I films.
Any quality film made in the last 3-4 years will not fade or yellow.

Ceramic will not protect from rock chips. The only way around this is to put paint protection film (PPF), or more commonly known as clear bra.

Neurobit

On Edit: If you get film, ensure they polish the paint to remove defects first, otherwise any swirls or holograms will be there for as long as you have film on top of it ��

Neurobit, you are correct. Yellowing was back in the "beginning"
Did you get clear bra? I've never really had any issues with rock chips on previous black trucks...not even on the hood. But I can see that black/painted area between my headlights and fender getting some nicks. That's honestly the only thing I would want to protect. Maybe.....just maybe.....the headlights, but I've also never had any issue with those either.

·
Registered
2018 1500 Sport
168 Posts
So, as stated, nothing protects fully from rock chips. PPF will do a better job of that than ceramic, but is more costly. Also lasts longer. A lot longer. Cost me 5k to fully Xpel my Challenger. Is guaranteed for ten years and will probably last much longer than that. That's two or three ceramic coatings or more. I was told by an installer (ceramic installer, not a ppf installer) that on a daily driver, ceramic is effective for about a year. Challenger is not my daily driver.

·
Registered
111 Posts
So, as stated, nothing protects fully from rock chips. PPF will do a better job of that than ceramic, but is more costly. Also lasts longer. A lot longer. Cost me 5k to fully Xpel my Challenger. Is guaranteed for ten years and will probably last much longer than that. That's two or three ceramic coatings or more. I was told by an installer (ceramic installer, not a ppf installer) that on a daily driver, ceramic is effective for about a year. Challenger is not my daily driver.
My ceramics have lasted at least 3 years so far, but I need to mention I do the yearly maintenance that they require for the warranty. That cost $100 per year. I also follow all the instructions on washing etc.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Did you get clear bra? I've never really had any issues with rock chips on previous black trucks...not even on the hood. But I can see that black/painted area between my headlights and fender getting some nicks. That's honestly the only thing I would want to protect. Maybe.....just maybe.....the headlights, but I've also never had any issue with those either.
Warv3T,

Nope. Not needed in a pickup truck IMO since they sit so high off the ground. If I still had a lower vehicle like my X5, I would def do it, since the front of mine was peppered with tiny rock chips and dings, even though it's an SUV.

Cheers,
Neurobit

·
Registered
247 Posts
Warv3T,

Nope. Not needed in a pickup truck IMO since they sit so high off the ground. If I still had a lower vehicle like my X5, I would def do it, since the front of mine was peppered with tiny rock chips and dings, even though it's an SUV.

Cheers,
Neurobit
I kinda feel the same way as you. My 7 series was bad cuz it was so low to the ground. Had the Msport package and entire front valence was “peppered”

·
Registered
27 Posts
Was supposed to have mine back today from the shop..wasn't quite done - Ceramic Pro, tinting front windows, clear bra on front painted bumper, blacking out chrome on mirrors, chrome in door handles & chrome around windows as well as removing all the badging on doors/tailgate. If I recall, all in, ~3k. Once the new black hood badges and tailgate ram come in the only thing shiny will be the grill and the trim running down the lower doors.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
How are you guys protecting against rock chips and such? Is this less of a problem on trucks since they ride significantly higher than cars? I've considered the ceramic coating and the clear bra ideas. Are they worth the cost?

I have Xpel PPF on the front of my truck, it has a 10 year warrenty. Trucks tend to be more prone to rock chips since they have a more vertical front end.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Never heard of the PPF stuff until now. Searching and most of the installers in my area all have residential addresses indicating the installation probably isn't a "professional" installation.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have Xpel PPF on the front of my truck, it has a 10 year warrenty. Trucks tend to be more prone to rock chips since they have a more vertical front end.
4 trucks and not one rock chip on the front of any of them. I'll admit that I always have a chrome bumper.....but even with that.....no damages to chrome bumpers in thousands of "military" traveling/moving miles across the U.S.

Having said that .....our previous Volvo, BMW, Mercedes all had variable degrees of "peppering" along the lower part of the painted bumpers and sports valences. I know we all have differing experiences ......but with me, I find lower vehicles more prone to the peppering of road sand/grit.

Now that big rock coming off someone's tire .........yeah, that doesn't care if you're driving a truck or a car. I'm sure the Xpel, Ceramic Coating all all absolutely beautiful tho

1 - 20 of 26 Posts