DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 Ram 1500 4.7 liter flex and I need some advice on a new exhaust. Factory exhaust is on it now, but I'm looking to upgrade. I've been doing research on exhaust systems, but there are so many out there. Could somebody please recommend a brand of exhaust that they have experience with? I'm not looking to spend an arm and a leg. I want a system that may boost my mpg and gives me a low rumble. Any recommendations or a starting point would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have had Borla exhausts on 2 of my last 3 vehicles. Had the touring on my Monte Carlo SS, quiet in town but sounded good when on the gas. Had the S-type on my Silverado, nice low rumble and sounded great when on the gas. Downside for Borla is price, I was able to get mine cheap through my ex. If your gonna listen to sound clips, wear headphones or earbuds, gives you a better idea what they sound like.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hooker flo max...straight thru design,,sounds real good,,nice and deep when getting on it,,i used a 3 inch in and out with the factory tail pipe,,no resonator,,

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have heard good things about Carven as well. I do have a Carven TR coming for my Ram and will let you know how it is, if you haven't decided by then.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks guys! Heading into 4 Wheel Parts now to do some browsing!
I have spent a truck load of money at 4 wheel parts and they gave me some advice on exhaust. I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to exhaust so cut me some slack if i'm not that technical.
Before spending money on my truck I went in looking to have a better sound for my truck. They wanted to sell me a $900+ cat back system. I declined at the time and went with lift,bumpers, light winch etc.. first. After all mods were done I have gotten back to looking at exhaust. Long story short, I was told that catback systems on trucks typically are not a great value as they already have large pipes, so unless one is looking to run dual pipes or headers there is no real benefit. I saved $700 and went with just a muffler. Thought I would throw that out there and I'm sure others may disagree, but I really like the sound and price of my new Magnaflow muffler.

·
Registered
936 Posts
The Ram has a stainless exhaust on it already and if has dual out the back a muffler is all you need. A muffler is all u need if the sound/rumble is all u are looking for

·
Registered
398 Posts
I went with the 14 inch magnaflow muffler only. This is my 3rd Ram with that muffler. They sound great and take about 6 months to break in. 14 inch is the loudest, 18 inch is in between and 24 inch is quiet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've had real good experiences with Spin Tech mufflers. The 6000 series is perfect if you don't want too much drone, and the 9000 series is just all out nasty sounding, they have a sound of their own. Downfall to them is they do not sell a complete exhaust systems, and they are also pretty pricey, especially if you go with stainless (upwards of $200). My sister has a 2016 Ram with the hemi, and she has the Carven TR series, direct fit of the factory muffler. Even being their "quieter" muffler, and with the two factory resonators, the truck sounds great. Only a little drone when MDS kicks in, otherwise very pleased with the sound and quality. I just picked myself up a 2012 Ram with the 4.7, and I'm thinking of staying cheap and going with a flowmaster 10 and the factory tailpipe/ resonator. Anyone have any experience with the 10 series? I'm not afraid to have something loud, but I don't want anything that'll drone my head out on the long cruises. I have a regular cab long bed with a single pipe out the rear, so I suspect it won't be so bad, especially considering the emissions crap on these new trucks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts