DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
A couple of weeks ago, my 2002 4.7, Silver, hit 170K.
He's about due for an oil change, but that's already lined up. He's running like a champ.

What I want to know is this. Is there anything that you guys think should be done maintenance wise at that mile-stone?

I'm not rolling in dough, so know that. I'm not going to be able to fork out a ton of money, still a college student, even if I'm out for the summer.

I don't have a service record or anything from the previous owner, and judging by the previous condition of the oil, I'd wager that the previous owner didn't give Silver much TLC. I've had Silver since January.

I'm not looking to do anything major, but still, just curious what you guys think should be checked (or replaced).

Thanks and Go Dodge!

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I'm a big synthetic oil fan, if I had a 4.7, I'd certainly use it. I'd be inclined to drop the transmission pan, change filters and clean the magnet, replace with Mopar ATF+4. Differential fluid change as well, if you can afford, and given the questionable service history, antifreeze, power steering fluid and brake fluid. Kinda like taking care of a puppy, of course the Ram won't poop on your rug.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a big synthetic oil fan, if I had a 4.7, I'd certainly use it. I'd be inclined to drop the transmission pan, change filters and clean the magnet, replace with Mopar ATF+4. Differential fluid change as well, if you can afford, and given the questionable service history, antifreeze, power steering fluid and brake fluid. Kinda like taking care of a puppy, of course the Ram won't poop on your rug.
Thanks for the feedback Hydrex! Will probably work on that stuff in parts, not all at once.

I've been on the fence with Synthetic because, I'll be honest, I don't know much about the oil itself.
(Besides 'regular' more common sense knowledge and the stuff that I can find on Google.)

My mechanic guy swears that synthetic would make the sludge issues worse, but will help me make the switch anyway if it's what I want. :4-dontknow: I know the vast majority that I've heard from on the Z use synthetic though.. Mainly, my mechanic is why I haven't made the switch. Sure, I don't listen to everything that he says... he can get a wee bit... crazy. :57:

I'm running a high-mileage synthetic blend right now, the one that the majority of my vehicles (and my family's vehicles) have always used. There again, what I'm used to isn't always the best.

And yeah, I certainly hope Silver doesn't poop on the rug. :LOL:

Anyway, thanks for the response! :smileup:

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
May as well bump this up, still kinda curious. :LOL:
looking to have spark plugs and PCV valve replacement soonish as well...

(Yeah, should have done the PCV sooner, but thanks to me being me, and being forgetful, as well as freakin' busy with school, that didn't happen.
Now that it's summer, It's quite possible it will get the chance.)

Then again, if no one has anything else to add, this is fine too. :D

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Hydrex! Will probably work on that stuff in parts, not all at once.

I've been on the fence with Synthetic because, I'll be honest, I don't know much about the oil itself.
(Besides 'regular' more common sense knowledge and the stuff that I can find on Google.)

My mechanic guy swears that synthetic would make the sludge issues worse, but will help me make the switch anyway if it's what I want. :4-dontknow: I know the vast majority that I've heard from on the Z use synthetic though.. Mainly, my mechanic is why I haven't made the switch. Sure, I don't listen to everything that he says... he can get a wee bit... crazy. :57:

I'm running a high-mileage synthetic blend right now, the one that the majority of my vehicles (and my family's vehicles) have always used. There again, what I'm used to isn't always the best.

And yeah, I certainly hope Silver doesn't poop on the rug. :LOL:

Anyway, thanks for the response! :smileup:
I run a high mileage blend. its fine. Some of these motors could sludge up, but hey...any motor can. But I add a can of BG MOA (oil additive) to my motor every 4k and have nearly zero sludge thank to that. You can find it online for less than 10 bucks a can but its worth every penny.

As far as the maintenance you asked about earlier, hydrex nailed it. :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Synthetic oil is best..

As for spark plugs go with the OEM champion plugs. Remove a plug from the truck and see if it looks burnt, if it is it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Replacing the PCV valve is extremely easy. If your truck isn't the one with the PCV valve on your oil filler neck it should be behind your right valve cover. 35mm bolt to take it off or vice grips. Truely easy. Just youtube it, (replace PCV valve on -year make model-) And spark plugs, I spend the extra money on NGK iridium plugs. I replaced coils every 35k-50k unless one goes bad beforehand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts