DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some recon bed lighting for my truck and have no idea how to install this.. it came wtih a little red on/off button not attached to anything, i hear from research it can be attached to dome light?? i would like to just string up in bed and have loose open wire end connected near tailgate to something?? dont know if its possible or should be done this way or not.. Also would liket o know what some others have done with the switch?? any and all suggestions welcome, but pls be specific im new at these kind of projects

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I have some recon bed lighting for my truck and have no idea how to install this.. it came wtih a little red on/off button not attached to anything, i hear from research it can be attached to dome light?? i would like to just string up in bed and have loose open wire end connected near tailgate to something?? dont know if its possible or should be done this way or not.. Also would liket o know what some others have done with the switch?? any and all suggestions welcome, but pls be specific im new at these kind of projects
I'm planning on wiring mine to the cargo light circuit so that I can still used the dash switch to turn them on. I would also like to put a small switch someplace near the back (along with a diode of course) to be able to turn them on while standing at the tailgate (and not have to run up to the cab).

I don't think I'd wire them to the dome light. Them they'll be coming on for everything from an open door to arm/disarming the alarm.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I didnt use the recon one but im sure its close. What i did was run a power cable with an inline fuse from the battery under the truck zip tying it to other wires on the side of the frame until i reached the gap between the cab and bed. then i ran it up through one of the stake bed holes and underneith the bed rail to the tailgate. I didnt use the switch that came with the lights. I got a round one from fleet farm so i could just drill a hole and install. I use a metal electrical outlet box with a solid face plate that i drilled the hole into. I caulked 2 strong magnets to the back of the box and used some black rubberized spray to match it to the bed. To connect the wires to the switch i just spliced the wires and used wire connectors that just plug into the back of the switch and wrapped them each with electrical tape.

This is the link to the post i made. If you would like additional pics let me know. http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=97202

1 - 3 of 3 Posts