DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just wondering what some of you are using for tow points, I am one of the unlucky ones that doesn't have the factory tow hooks:smiledown:.

Has anyone welded tow hooks to their frames or welded on a front hitch? What are you using?, and post some pics thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just order the hooks from the dealership or buy em off someone here on the Z and bolt em on! They're super easy to install and around $200 (usually less).
i thought about it but i plan on doing a body lift shortly and if im gonna spend that much i want to make sure ill be able to use it for a while. also thought about adding a front hitch that way i can hook up a winch later , but again I will run into problems with the b/l. I was thinking about welding hooks to the frame and popping out the factory cover where the tow hooks go to gain access to the hooks in the meantime. any thoughts?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sounds a little more complicated, but I'm sure it could be done somewhere that handles custom fabricating and welding. Of course that means more expense. I'm sure someone on here has figured that set-up out and hopefully chimes in soon. Just seems to me if you raise the body the hooks would have to come out under the bumper.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds a little more complicated, but I'm sure it could be done somewhere that handles custom fabricating and welding. Of course that means more expense. I'm sure someone on here has figured that set-up out and hopefully chimes in soon. Just seems to me if you raise the body the hooks would have to come out under the bumper.
not afraid of the fabrication part, as i can do it all myself, I own a welder and have access to any tools i may need.:smileup:, well i may go mess around a bit today and see what i can come up with.

·
Registered
868 Posts
If your going to fab something up I suggest putting shackles, better and stronger than tow hooks IMO.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your going to fab something up I suggest putting shackles, better and stronger than tow hooks IMO.

I agree with you 100% on that only problem is that if they are mounted to the underside of the truck and your in a foot of mud who wants to crawl under and mess with a shackle? not me lol but if it coes out the front of the bumper than yes shackles all the way

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have looked at those too, but i dont like how they come out under the bumper. i found a pic of one that comes out where the tow hook cover panel is and i really like it but again we will run into problems once a b/l is installed. i am thinking that i will make a custom hitch after the b\l is installed and make the hitch come through behind the front liscence plate that way i can just pull the plate off when i need to use it and when i dont need it the hitch will be hidden behind the plate all stealth like

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you are going to weld on the truck make sure you unhook the negative on the battery and if you want to be really safe pull your computer out as well. You dont want to go frying any of your electrical components on your truck.

·
Banned
265 Posts
If you are going to weld on the truck make sure you unhook the negative on the battery and if you want to be really safe pull your computer out as well. You dont want to go frying any of your electrical components on your truck.
I weld on my vehicles all the time and have never damaged a computer this way.

Here's my front tow points (Bumper or frame):

and the rear:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I weld on my vehicles all the time and have never damaged a computer this way.

Here's my front tow points (Bumper or frame):

and the rear:
I'm not saying it WILL happen but it CAN happen. Alot of racers who have aftermarket ignition/computer controlled stuff will disconect their battery and sometimes disconnect other electrical components before welding on their vehicles. Also new farm tractors require this to be done as well. Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
756 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
15,700 Posts
I agree with you 100% on that only problem is that if they are mounted to the underside of the truck and your in a foot of mud who wants to crawl under and mess with a shackle? not me lol but if it coes out the front of the bumper than yes shackles all the way
i have seen trucks and jeeps buried so that you still have to dig to get to the tow hooks. lol

·
Registered
666 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts