DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was seeing if anybody could help me with this. Went to start my truck today and it was just cranking but not turning over, finally it turned over and the red lighting bolt was flashing and the check engine light came on as well. It seemed like there was no power at all to the truck but I was near walmart so I barely made it over to the shop. I had them check the battery on the machine and it came up as bad so I replaced it. Went to start again and now the same thing was happening and it basicly undrivable. Its now dead in the water at the Walmart parking lot until I can get it towed somewhere to look at it. My question is if the bad battery caused the problem and lights to come on and it went into that mode, would replacing the battery fix it or is there something I would have to do to the truck to reset it to go back to normal. Thanks for any help. Never seen the bolt before or had any issues like this.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Can they check for stored fault codes?
If it's cranking, is it strong and continuous or is it a lethargic intermittent crank. My wife's 05 Grand Cherokee would not start if there wasn't enough voltage, even if the battery wasn't "dead". Try a jump pack or use good heavy gauge jumper cables if you're not getting a strong effort from the starter.

·
Registered
414 Posts
If it's already at Walmart, have them check the charging system (I mean come on man you just bought a battery from them), checking the charging system should be included with checking/selling you a battery.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
My money is on the alternator.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Does your RKE (remote keyless entry) system still work? It's possible that the Wireless Control Module electronically locked up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
future reference never let Walmart touch your vehicle again. If I broke down in the parking lot I would have her towed to a reputable shop . They will end up doing more damage then good there I have seen it with a few testimonials and one of my personal experiences too

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well guys thanks for all the suggestions......when I tried to crank it, it was actually a pretty strong crank, but it never would turn over and when it did a couple of times it was just shaking like a damn earthquake was hitting. A buddy hooked up a jump pack and it didn't do anything and showed that the new battery was indeed good. Yeah the RKE still works, I locked and unlocked the doors just fine. I also had somebody with a code reader get these codes from it......its alot

p0335- crankshaft position censor
p05210- engine oil pressure censor

then I can go to Chrysler enhanced engine DTC's and this is what popped up
p0642- sensor reference low voltage
p0520 engine oil pressure censor switch circuit
p060e- internal control module throttle position
p2122 throttle/pedal postition sensor low input
p2111 throttle actuator control system-stuck open

Sweet Jesus what does all this mean? After cussing up a storm and trying different things in the pouring down freezing rain, I gave up and called a tow truck to take it to the nearest dealer and Im waiting on the call back to see what the deal is. I will let yall know what they say.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Well guys thanks for all the suggestions......when I tried to crank it, it was actually a pretty strong crank, but it never would turn over and when it did a couple of times it was just shaking like a damn earthquake was hitting. A buddy hooked up a jump pack and it didn't do anything and showed that the new battery was indeed good. Yeah the RKE still works, I locked and unlocked the doors just fine. I also had somebody with a code reader get these codes from it......its alot

p0335- crankshaft position censor
p05210- engine oil pressure censor

then I can go to Chrysler enhanced engine DTC's and this is what popped up
p0642- sensor reference low voltage
p0520 engine oil pressure censor switch circuit
p060e- internal control module throttle position
p2122 throttle/pedal postition sensor low input
p2111 throttle actuator control system-stuck open

Sweet Jesus what does all this mean? After cussing up a storm and trying different things in the pouring down freezing rain, I gave up and called a tow truck to take it to the nearest dealer and Im waiting on the call back to see what the deal is. I will let yall know what they say.
It means you have a dead ECU on your hands or possibly a dead TB.

·
Super Moderator
34,698 Posts
I was going to say alternator but it sounds like that isn't the issue. LowUFO is beating me to every thread tonight:LOL:

future reference never let Walmart touch your vehicle again. If I broke down in the parking lot I would have her towed to a reputable shop . They will end up doing more damage then good there I have seen it with a few testimonials and one of my personal experiences too
Come on now, its a battery. Walmart may not be a good place to get a car worked on, but...its replacing a battery

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Please no......not the ECU! Still waiting on the word back from the shop. Before it got towed when you would turn the ignition to the on position the etc light and check engine light would blink is some sort of pattern then stop.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I'm not sure how you got dead ECU out of that. Is this a common problem when those exact codes pop up?

Many times when a CEL pops up it is a result of another problem. So it's entirely likely that only one thing has gone wrong but it has triggered other CEL's.

My bet is on the crankshaft position sensor as it explains the no-start condition.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm not sure how you got dead ECU out of that. Is this a common problem when those exact codes pop up?

Many times when a CEL pops up it is a result of another problem. So it's entirely likely that only one thing has gone wrong but it has triggered other CEL's.

My bet is on the crankshaft position sensor as it explains the no-start condition.

Crankshaft sensor would be my guess too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Still waiting....I called the dealer and they said the tech bought in a sheet that was showing 15 codes!! He said they were trying to pinpoint the problem and would call me back today most likely.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Had a problem of my own ,truck was going into limp mode while driving. Was throwing 15-17 codes as well. Ended up being a hose clamp cutting into my wire harness which was shorting out the 5v wire. The lightning bolt was coming up on my dash as well. He first thought it was a bad ECM.Mechanic chased it for about 3 days. Wrote a thread about it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts