DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Still waiting....I called the dealer and they said the tech bought in a sheet that was showing 15 codes!! He said they were trying to pinpoint the problem and would call me back today most likely.
Hi persuazion,
Keep us posted on what the dealership says and let me know if there's anything I can do to be of assistance!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi persuazion,
Keep us posted on what the dealership says and let me know if there's anything I can do to be of assistance!
Does anyone else think it's commendable that Erica is stepping up to assist somebody with a truck that is obviously beyond it's warranty period? I realize that her help may indeed be limited to troubleshooting suggestions but at least you get the feeling that someone at FCA might be interested in how their fleet is holding up in the real world.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
any update?
Nope. Called Friday and they said their system was down and it was pure chaos there. I said " Ok well can you have the tech working on my car call me back and give me an update at least" they said sure.....but never did. Called first thing Sat morning since they close at 3 on Sat. The guy said that the person that knows anything about my truck is off for the weekend and will be back Monday.:doh: He said he asked the techs that were there and they had no clue what he was talking about. So HOPEFULLY tomorrow I will know some damn thing!

·
Super Moderator
34,698 Posts
Nope. Called Friday and they said their system was down and it was pure chaos there. I said " Ok well can you have the tech working on my car call me back and give me an update at least" they said sure.....but never did. Called first thing Sat morning since they close at 3 on Sat. The guy said that the person that knows anything about my truck is off for the weekend and will be back Monday.:doh: He said he asked the techs that were there and they had no clue what he was talking about. So HOPEFULLY tomorrow I will know some damn thing!

If its in any way convenient I'd stop by in person at that point

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Hi persuazion,
I'm so sorry about this frustrating experience. Could you PM me your VIN and the dealership information so that I can inform the Area Manager of your Business Center about the kind of service your dealership is providing to our customers?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Whelp , I called them today and they said the pcm was bad and the crankshaft censor and they were checking to see if the throttle body was bad. They said there was a short in the wire that caused this. My question is if it was a short could it really take out all of these things at once? And should I take it somewhere else to get a second opinion?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hi persuazion,
I'm so sorry about this frustrating experience. Could you PM me your VIN and the dealership information so that I can inform the Area Manager of your Business Center about the kind of service your dealership is providing to our customers?
Thanks Erica I will send you the vin when I get back .

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Whelp , I called them today and they said the pcm was bad and the crankshaft censor and they were checking to see if the throttle body was bad. They said there was a short in the wire that caused this. My question is if it was a short could it really take out all of these things at once? And should I take it somewhere else to get a second opinion?
A short could fry the PCM if there is no fuse to protect it from an over-current condition. However, unless this 'short' is corrected a new PCM will fry as well if their theory is correct.

Doubtful that a short would fry a resistance based sensor like the TB sensor. Over voltage would, but you're at the mercy of a 12V battery so, at the very least the system is engineered for that. What would be most likely is short occured on the TB circuit which would cause the lightning bolt to flash because it has no control over the TB and then fry the PCM.

Ok, Madlock out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
A short could fry the PCM if there is no fuse to protect it from an over-current condition. However, unless this 'short' is corrected a new PCM will fry as well if their theory is correct.

Doubtful that a short would fry a resistance based sensor like the TB sensor. Over voltage would, but you're at the mercy of a 12V battery so, at the very least the system is engineered for that. What would be most likely is short occured on the TB circuit which would cause the lightning bolt to flash because it has no control over the TB and then fry the PCM.

Ok, Madlock out.
Thanks for the info, where do you think the crankshaft sensor going bad fits into all of this?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Also does anybody know if there is any kind of extended warrantys on pcms? My truck is an 08 with 65000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Thanks for the info, where do you think the crankshaft sensor going bad fits into all of this?
Crankshaft sensor seems to be a common problem. I think I've read about 4-5 threads on it over the past couple weeks.Like I said a lot of the time one code leads to others. Dealers are more than willing to replace parts vs. troubleshooting.

If it was my personal truck I wouldn't have brought it to the dealer. I would have replaced the crankshaft sensor as that's the only thing that makes sense to cause the no-start condition and rough idle. . I would have replaced this, and gone from there. It's entirely possible that the short occurred in the crank shaft sensor but that doesn't really explain the lightning bolt does it? Which is why the bad PCM seems likely.

If it sounds like I've changed my mind, it has. I forgot about the other codes it was pulling.

·
Super Moderator
34,698 Posts
Yeah I'm beginning to wonder if they had a bad batch of crankshaft sensors or something like they did with the Ecodiesel oil pressure sensors. I've been reading about issues with them lately too, but I'm not sure I could narrow it down to a specific time range

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Yeah I'm beginning to wonder if they had a bad batch of crankshaft sensors or something like they did with the Ecodiesel oil pressure sensors. I've been reading about issues with them lately too, but I'm not sure I could narrow it down to a specific time range
Yeah I know what you mean. I read a couple about the V6's and a few on 4.7's and a few on hemi's within a short period of time. I can't recall any of them resulting in full out PCM failure. So that makes me wonder, perhaps this is just a PCM failure and nothing else. Without performing any diagnostics myself on the truck it's kinda hard to estimate the problem over the internet.

·
Super Moderator
34,698 Posts
Yeah, for all we know they could just be 2 different issues that happened at the same time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Woah woah woah, hold on. First off buy a used ECU, second find a independent shop to fix the wire and put the new sensor in.
I have no clue where to start looking at a used pcu. What would be the cost difference between the two and is there a warranty on he used pcus

21 - 40 of 48 Posts