DODGE RAM FORUM banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,426 Posts
I have no clue where to start looking at a used pcu. What would be the cost difference between the two and is there a warranty on he used pcus
Maybe a 30 day warranty from the junkyard. If it was my truck and in good shape and you plan on keeping it for a few more years I would have the dealer fix it and warranty the parts and repair. $1200 for an 08 isnt that terrible. Yes you can save money going the used route and bring it somewhere cheaper to hopefully find the short but money isn't always the deciding factor. Also the dealer will have to reprogram everything in the ecu for you truck. You can't just put the used ecu in it has to be programed for your truck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The lightning bolt is basically telling you that the computer is not receiving the correct voltage back from the many sensors it is monitoring. Because of the code you need to start checking off potential problems. It is good to try to get the error codes since on newer models when you do the 3 turn on ignition tricks it will most likely just flash the lightning bolt. A couple of codes that will pop up will be P0335 - Crankshaft Position Sensor and another could be P0522 - Engine Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit Low Voltage. A trick is to eliminate the possibilities. When you try starting the truck turn the key but release it, the truck will start and begin idling really rough and you will not be able to compress the gas pedal. Turn off the engine. If you look beneath the alternator and above the oil filter on the left side of the engine you'll see the first sensor to test, the Engine Oil Pressure Sensor Switch. Go ahead and disconnect it. Now go back and start the engine. You'll see the oil gauge go all of the way to the right; no problem. If the lightning bolt does not come on and it is running smoothly this will be the sensor to replace; a hard to get to job but I did it from beneath the truck. It will have the brass base. I used a short crescent wrench to do the job. The part (S4191) cost approximately $45 from O'Reileys and fixed the problem so I didn't have to go any further.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
A P0335 "check engine light" code could be caused by:
Damaged CKP sensor connector
Damaged reluctor ring (missing teeth or not turning due to sheared-off keyway)
Sensor output open
Sensor output shorted to ground
Sensor output shorted to voltage
Failed crank sensor Broken timing belt
Failed PCM

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0335
Copyright OBD-Codes.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Potential causes of a P0521 code include:
Low oil level in the engine
Old dirty oil (overdue for an oil change)
Low oil pressure
Faulty wiring or connection/connector in the oil pressure sender circuit
Faulty oil pressure sender/sensor

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0521
Copyright OBD-Codes.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Potential causes of a P0520 code include:
Faulty engine oil pressure sensor
Excessive resistance in the oil pressure sensor circuit
Short in the circuit to/from the oil pressure sensor and/or PCM and/or ground
Faulty PCM (less likely)

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0520
Copyright OBD-Codes.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0642
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
P060E Description The Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) system uses two Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) sensors to monitor the pedal position. Two processors are also used to monitor the TAC system data. The engine control module (ECM) performs an intrusive test in order to detect that the APP signals are not shorted together. The ECM accomplishes this by pulling the APP sensor 2 low momentarily and looking for sensor 1 to also be low. The TAC system also performs this test on the throttle position (TP) sensors. This diagnostic monitors the transistor used to pull one pedal and one throttle sensor to ground simultaneously. Additionally, Both processors monitor each other's data to verify that the indicated APP calculation is correct.

Read more: https://www.autocodes.com/p060e.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P2122 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch 'D' Circuit Low

Read more: https://www.autocodes.com/p2122.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P2111 - Throttle Actuator Control System - Stuck Open

Read more: https://www.autocodes.com/p2111.html

=====================================================
I am not a mechanic, so what do i know :4-dontknow:

Sounds to me that you have a dirty throttle body, a bad wiring connection, & a sensor is out of position & needs adjustment

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Good Info, as always.

·
Registered
15,597 Posts
Maybe a 30 day warranty from the junkyard. If it was my truck and in good shape and you plan on keeping it for a few more years I would have the dealer fix it and warranty the parts and repair. $1200 for an 08 isnt that terrible. Yes you can save money going the used route and bring it somewhere cheaper to hopefully find the short but money isn't always the deciding factor. Also the dealer will have to reprogram everything in the ecu for you truck. You can't just put the used ecu in it has to be programed for your truck.
exactly....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys I was seeing if anybody could help me with this. Went to start my truck today and it was just cranking but not turning over, finally it turned over and the red lighting bolt was flashing and the check engine light came on as well. It seemed like there was no power at all to the truck but I was near walmart so I barely made it over to the shop. I had them check the battery on the machine and it came up as bad so I replaced it. Went to start again and now the same thing was happening and it basicly undrivable. Its now dead in the water at the Walmart parking lot until I can get it towed somewhere to look at it. My question is if the bad battery caused the problem and lights to come on and it went into that mode, would replacing the battery fix it or is there something I would have to do to the truck to reset it to go back to normal. Thanks for any help. Never seen the bolt before or had any issues like this.
Hey guys I was seeing if anybody could help me with this. Went to start my truck today and it was just cranking but not turning over, finally it turned over and the red lighting bolt was flashing and the check engine light came on as well. It seemed like there was no power at all to the truck but I was near walmart so I barely made it over to the shop. I had them check the battery on the machine and it came up as bad so I replaced it. Went to start again and now the same thing was happening and it basicly undrivable. Its now dead in the water at the Walmart parking lot until I can get it towed somewhere to look at it. My question is if the bad battery caused the problem and lights to come on and it went into that mode, would replacing the battery fix it or is there something I would have to do to the truck to reset it to go back to normal. Thanks for any help. Never seen the bolt before or had any issues like this.
Hey, im having the same problem. My Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi won't start and im getting lightning bolt signal. I have never seen it before but i just bought a month ago.😂 Any suggestions on what to do? I have to get to work tonight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The lightning bolt means there is trouble between you accelerator pedal and the
throttle plate. All electronic.
Is there a fix for what you are saying and how did you come up with this? I have a 2011 hemi with full power all dash and no error codes but won't make a sound when turning over. Only thing that happens is the red bolt flashes! HELP

41 - 48 of 48 Posts