DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Sport, runs like crap, did have a code but dont remember it....said something about "multi-cylinder misfire" or something like that....removed all 8 plugs, and 2 of the 8 were actually almost red on the end, I've seen ALOT of spark plugs, but never any colored like this. Removed and replaced all 8 plugs, check engine light went out, and truck ran fine. Returned truck to mother in law, and last night said it was at it again, but much worse....thought it was gonna quit on her.....I took said plugs to Autozone, and asked what would cause such a peculiar color on the plugs, and an unanimous "Fuel Filter" answer was immediately given. What do you guys think? Is he full of mud, or speaking the truth? Would appreciate any advice from anyone....Killer forum btw!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, could be a 1500......very new at working on these trucks....Im thinking its a fuel pump, with the integrated filter on the top, which will entail removing the gas tank....anyone have experience doing that? and where can I get a pump for under $220?

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Are you sure it's a 4.7L? If it's a 5.7L hemi it has 16 plugs, just FYI.

I have no idea what would cause red plugs. The coolant is red tinted I believe....don't know if that could cause this? I can't see how a fuel pump or filter could cause this coloring, but I don't really have an answer for you.

If you need to get to the pump, it's easier to get a case of beer and a few buddy's to lift the bed off the truck rather than drop the tank.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Fuel additive, where are U buying your gas ??

Should not hurt anything.............

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know where she buys her gas...I know the truck has been sitting for over a year. we put fresh premium in it, and a couple of bottles of Lucas, along with 8 new Champions, and I drove it after the light went out, and it ran great....no light, smooth as a kitten...Then she drove it about 5 miles, and nearly quit all together....been sitting in my driveway ever since. I don't want to pull the bed of the truck off, spend $200+ dollars on a fuel pump, and it not fix the problem....What a PITA!!!! Will pull the plugs again this weekend and inspect, and have codes read....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, got in the truck this morning, after making sure crankcase had plenty of oil, started it up, and ran fine. Up the street and onto the four lane, suddenly got a "beep beep beep", looked down and the "check gauges" light was on, with the oil pressure needle dropping fast, then on the peg...still running fine, with all other gauges normal. Continued to drive, thinking it was just indication, but slowly but surely, the engine started sounding more and more like a diesel. By the time I got it back in the driveway, she was really rattling....So NOW...Im thinking at least an oil pump...Really? on a 2003 vehicle with only 141,000 miles? Come on....that's why my money goes to quality rather than value....POC!!!!

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Oil pump is fairly involved on that engine, it's not in the sump, it's behind the timing case.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Could be sludge clogging the screen too. That is another known issue, even on engines professed to be maintenance on time all the time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
the pickup screen in the pan gets clogged with sh*t, and screws with your whole motor....but I wouldn't be surprised if that rattling and clunking when it sounded like a diesel truck, was your chewed up rods and mains....drop your pan and see how much metal is in the pan....from there its either rebuild or replace...I replaced...it literally took 3 motors in 3 months to find one that was decent, and would have been cheaper to buy a crate motor from autozone at like $2600 after all was said and done I was at about 4 grand...this 4.7 is a hunk of dog sh*t...the engineers at dodge were definitely sleeping at the wheel when they gave birth to this baby! that 4.7 is like the retarded kid in the neighboorhood. Hate it! just take the 4.7 out, replace it with a 5.9, or a 5.7 hemi...drive it till it dies, scrap it then use the 6000lbs as a down payment on a Ford!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ROGER THAT!!! How much do you guys think we could get for the whole truck, as is? It is a good looking truck, sport edition, blue in color with chrome bedrails and chrome bumper rail....I've been told about $500 as is....

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Holy cow, $500!? If I had a place to store it I'd come pick it up. You should be able to get a lot more than that if it's in good shape, even without an engine.

I find it amusing that when people have trouble with something they decide it's a POS and switch to something else. The 4.7L is a great engine, I've known many people with them, they've all had few issues if any. It's as good as any engine out there, probably better in terms of reliability.

Even if you want to unload the truck, you'd be MUCH better off grabbing an engine from a junk yard (or rebuilding yours) then selling it. Spend a weekend working on it and make thousands when you sell it.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I just reread the thread. You should have shut down the engine when you lost oil pressure, you would have saved the engine. Since you ran it without oil pressure that's why the engine now needs replaced or rebuilt.

Just like my wife today....calls and says the car is overheating, I tell her to pull over she says she can't be late for work. So I said fine tear it up and I'll replace the engine this weekend after we tow it home...why spend $5 on a gallon of water when you can spend $1,500 on an engine?.

Sorry, I'm just not in a good mood right now lol.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I just reread the thread. You should have shut down the engine when you lost oil pressure, you would have saved the engine. Since you ran it without oil pressure that's why the engine now needs replaced or rebuilt.

Just like my wife today....calls and says the car is overheating, I tell her to pull over she says she can't be late for work. So I said fine tear it up and I'll replace the engine this weekend after we tow it home...why spend $5 on a gallon of water when you can spend $1,500 on an engine?.

Sorry, I'm just not in a good mood right now lol.
Amen. Dont blame you for the bad mood. And love it when the engine is always to blame albeit the operator ignoring lights, guages, and even the idiot ding and continuing to drive until it cooks itself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
the pickup screen in the pan gets clogged with sh*t, and screws with your whole motor....but I wouldn't be surprised if that rattling and clunking when it sounded like a diesel truck, was your chewed up rods and mains....drop your pan and see how much metal is in the pan....from there its either rebuild or replace...I replaced...it literally took 3 motors in 3 months to find one that was decent, and would have been cheaper to buy a crate motor from autozone at like $2600 after all was said and done I was at about 4 grand...this 4.7 is a hunk of dog sh*t...the engineers at dodge were definitely sleeping at the wheel when they gave birth to this baby! that 4.7 is like the retarded kid in the neighboorhood. Hate it! just take the 4.7 out, replace it with a 5.9, or a 5.7 hemi...drive it till it dies, scrap it then use the 6000lbs as a down payment on a Ford!
4.7l is just fine IMO and i would take a broken down dodge any day before a Ford. Really a Ford?

·
Registered
565 Posts
I would do a Ford. Would actually either take a broke down Ford over a brand new Chevy.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
How are the coils? What misfire code was it or was it the generic P0300? I would personally start with by figuring out if the code is isolated to a certain coil and then switch the coil packs to see if the code follows or stays. Maybe pull or the plugs and check to see if any are closed. Also pull the valve covers to make sure the springs are seated as well as the push rods.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts