DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be ordering a 2020 Ram HD megacab this winter. I have all but finalized buying a 40' fifth wheel. I know if I want full turning mobility I can't just throw a traditional fifth wheel hitch in a 6'4" bed. I'd love to hear opinions about the pin box upgrade vs a slider hitch. Leaning toward B&W Companion slider if I go that route. I need something I can lift out of the bed bc I use my bed quite a bit. Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
My wife and I recently purchased a 41.5' 5th wheel, which I am towing with my 2014 RAM 3500 SRW 6'4" box. My RAM was set up with the 5th wheel towing prep package (puck system). This is our first 5th wheel and we knew we would be eventually upgrading to a 5th wheel when we bought the truck. Well the time has come for the 5th wheel. I decided to go with a PullRite Superglide auto sliding hitch. Unfortunately PullRite only makes the Superglide for the RAM truck OE puck system in a 24K lb hitch so needless to say that it has some (hefty) weight to it and makes it hard to lift up and out of your truck by yourself. This is my second weekend towing our new camper and so far I am very satisfied with the PullRite Superglide and what it can do. Though with the way that new 5th wheel campers are designed with a rounded front end, I don't know if a slider hitch is really needed for 6'4" boxes. Doing measurements and looking at the 5th wheel hooked up to the truck, it looks like that the front end of my camper would clear the cab of my truck without using the slider feature. If you're interested in a lighter slider that you can lift by yourself, I know that PullRite makes lighter versions of the SuperGlide, you would just need to put in a rail base to install the hitch to in the box. My new camper has a GVRW of 15500 lbs so I could have gotten away with installing an 18K lb hitch, but like I said, the only RAM OE puck system SuperGlide hitch made by PullRite is rated for 24K lb hitch so I stuck with going with the heftier hitch.

Good luck with whatever you decide to use.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My cousin has the PullRite Superglide in his truck and the system seems great and I love the idea of an autoslider, but I already knew how heavy those hitches are. I use my bed quite a bit so a lighter hitch is really a priority. I messed with the idea of the Reese goose box to really have a clean bed, but after research it doesn't look like that system is short bed friendly.

Curious to hear others experiences or thoughts as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm in my first Fifth Wheel, so I will comment on mine and can't comment on others.
I have a 6' 4" bed, also.
I bought the B&W Patriot Slider - better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
When the dealer helped us set up the trailer, he commented that we would likely never have to use the slider.
So far, one year in, I have not ever used the slider.
But, all the campgrounds we have been to have fairly level sites and easy access.
I'm glad I have it for peace of mind.
I spent $50k for a trailer and $50k for a tow vehicle.
I'd hate to be unable to use it sometime because I didn't spend a couple hundred bucks to get the slider.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agree, since I wrote this I've decided on either the Demco or Pullrite. I'll suck it up and either ask for help or by a HF engine hoist to get it out. First world problems

1 - 5 of 5 Posts