DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I got one of the AC Pro canisters because my AC performance has been lacking. The low side service port pressure was 40PSI which was in the green zone but the interwebz are telling me that at the ambient temperature of 110 degrees (in Phoenix) the low side pressure should be 50-55PSI so I added approx. 5PSI of refrigerant and it's working significantly better.

I'd like to put more in it to match that 50PSI number but I'm afraid to do so and damage my compressor since 50PSI is the edge of the green zone on the gauge.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge on HVAC systems and if it would be okay to add that extra 5PSI?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Go ahead. It will all leak out again anyway.

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,450 Posts
Hello everyone,

I got one of the AC Pro canisters because my AC performance has been lacking. The low side service port pressure was 40PSI which was in the green zone but the interwebz are telling me that at the ambient temperature of 110 degrees (in Phoenix) the low side pressure should be 50-55PSI so I added approx. 5PSI of refrigerant and it's working significantly better.

I'd like to put more in it to match that 50PSI number but I'm afraid to do so and damage my compressor since 50PSI is the edge of the green zone on the gauge.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge on HVAC systems and if it would be okay to add that extra 5PSI?
I would go by what the spec is for the RAM. Usually its on a label under the hood.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hello everyone,

HFO 1234yf or R134a refrigerant?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I took it in and there was a leak in the evaporator so they replaced it. Spec is 1.34 or 1.37 pounds of r134a and it only had .66 pounds.

Works wonderfully now which is good because we're back up to 110 degrees this week!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good for you, much cheaper . That reminded me about the new refrigerant . I have been meaning to check to see what I have and luckily I also have 134A . glad of that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good for you, much cheaper . That reminded me about the new refrigerant . I have been meaning to check to see what I have and luckily I also have 134A . glad of that.
The service advisor told me they changed from r134a to the new proprietary one in 15 or 16 year trucks.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
AFAIK it was a running change in 14. I had thought they did it in 13, but I have the recharge valve on my Ram

1 - 11 of 11 Posts