DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys it's been a while but I was hoping to get some ideas for my truck bed. When I purchased my truck the PO had installed an Extang soft tonneau cover with the snaps. It worked well enough until recently, and was already there so I was in no hurry to replace it. Recently we moved and I had to take off the cover to use the truck bed and did not think about the cover shrinking until I could not get it back on! Now I feel disgusted with it because the snaps can be a pain when the cover has not shrunk, and it's useless until the weather warms up so it can stretch out.

So I was wondering what bed covers/tool boxes/custom arrangements have been done? Any regrets for going with certain covers? I don't do a lot of hauling, but we do take trips with the truck and occasionally tow a trailer.

Thanks and Pics would be appreciated.

David

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey David,

I had an Extang snap on tonneau on a previous truck. With that tonneau, I could turn the snaps on the side and rear rails upside down to make the cover fit better in cold weather. Maybe you can do the same?

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
I run the Truxedo Lo pro QT with Mopar Bed Rug. It's like having a huge trunk.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey David,

I had an Extang snap on tonneau on a previous truck. With that tonneau, I could turn the snaps on the side and rear rails upside down to make the cover fit better in cold weather. Maybe you can do the same?
Don,

the snaps are fixed on the frame/slider, could you explain what you mean bu turning them upside down?

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have had a BakFlip G2 on my truck for about a year, I love it no regrets!

·
Registered
81 Posts
David,

On my Extang, the snaps slid in a track on the rails and could be removed by removing the end caps and sliding them out.

The snaps had two positions. One for cold weather and one for hot weather. Inserting the snaps with the snap closer to the top of the rail was for cold weather and closer to the bottom of the rail was for hot weather when you can stretch the vinyl material.

Since your snaps are in a fixed position, it doesn't sound like you have this feature.

BTW, I just installed a Tonno Pro Lo-Roll tonneau on my Ram ($299.00 at truckchamp.com w/free shipping) and I really like it a lot. It is real quick and easy to unlatch and roll up. No snaps to deal with.

I plan to add a bed rug shortly.

Best of luck with your bed project.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a G2, a plastic bed liner (came with the truck) & a bed rug mat on top of the liner so everything doesn't slide around.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RamEZ,

Thanks! I am able to put off buying a bed cover for a little while thanks to your advice!

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts