DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Ram 1500 5.7

I've been quoted by a mechanic $5000 for remanufactured motor installed and out the door. What do you think about that? I have and another $2000 for a total $7000 I can play with if you have suggestions. Oh and hello everyone this my first post.

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,004 Posts
I'd want to know about the warranty on the engine from the remanufacturer, and also the warranty the mechanic is offering, in writing, on the work. Then I'd check online for reviews of the crate engine supplier, and if you don't have a history with this mechanic which leads you to trust the work quality, I'd check around for reviews there too.

All that said, if the warranties and the mechanic's reputation check out, I'd say that's a decent bargain.

You don't say if the truck is manual or auto, but if it's manual I'd install a new clutch while it's opened up for sure. I'd also inspect things like motor mounts carefully, as well as the manifolds, and a thorough check of all the parts that will come off your current engine and end up on the new one, especially any that are original on the truck from new.
When you get into things that deep, no sense in half measures if there's any room in the budget.

·
Registered
683 Posts
So a check @ rock auto shows a long block rebuild for just shy of $3500 with core charge its $4500 plus freight. So I'm thinking its not a bad quote. If it costs the shop say $3500 for whatever engine they get they are charging what about 1500 bucks? Sounds like alot, but they will probably have better than 8 hours in the R&R. And you wont have to get your hands dirty or skin your knuckles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the thoughts guys I've been hearing a lot of negative things about this mechanic throughout the day. One guy even told me that this is the kind of guy that will go get a motor out of a junkyard and tell you it's a reman. Even though I'm mechanically inclined enough to tell the difference. I'm going to call several different mechanics in the area I'll try to get some quotes. When this engine broke down I wanted to do this swap myself but I just don't have the tools or the time.

I'm also thinking about some shorty headers, exhaust system and a cam that will give it a good chop. I really don't care if it's the fastest thing on the highway I just want it to sound good. It would be nice to hear some suggestions for those parts I mentioned. Thanks again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A friend had a 5.3 Vortec in his Silverado blow up at 99k. The engine replacement was 6k and it came with another 30k mi. warranty from the company. Make sure you get that warranty on a new or rebuilt engine and a written guarantee from a mechanic should problems arise from installation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts